Why become a member? ×

Ashdown DI question

redbandit599

Hi all

I have an ABM 600 iv EVO which, (having got to grips with the eq) I am enjoying!

Quick question re the DI output - the manual states :-

"DIRECT INJECT (D.I.) - A balanced D.I. is provided on a latching XLR socket. This has a push button placed below it that allows the user to choose either a Pre E.Q. signal (button pushed IN) or a Post E.Q. Post Sub and effects signal (button OUT). The output signal from this XLR socket is set to a level and impedance suitable for connecting directly into the Microphone input of a mixing desk for either Direct Injection into the PA system or for recording."

If I'm reading this correctly then it sounds like the DI level is constant regardless of if I set it pre or post eq, and changes in stage volume won't effect the DI level. This would be a good thing 🙂

Anyone know if this is correct - I could test it live but that is something of a faff with a pub full of punters enduring me playing a one note solo in E whilst trying to work out if it's louder or not, for 10 mins...

Cheers

PS Just heading out to rehearsal so don't think I'm ignoring you...

Edited by redbandit599

I’ve used the DI on mine a few times when sound engineers don’t want to use the DI in my Sansamp, I’ve set it pre and then altered the eq on the amp to match whatever cab I’ve been using and the (previously mentioned rather fussy) sound engineers haven’t complained about changing levels, so I’m pretty sure - certainly pre, that eq and level adjustments don’t affect the DI.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve used the DI on mine a few times when sound engineers don’t want to use the DI in my Sansamp, I’ve set it pre and then altered the eq on the amp to match whatever cab I’ve been using and the (previously mentioned rather fussy) sound engineers haven’t complained about changing levels, so I’m pretty sure - certainly pre, that eq and level adjustments don’t affect the DI.

Cheers Lozz

I'm wondering if it does the same 'post' too - the manual seems to suggest it would? Aha - I've worked out how to tag people 🙂 

@Ashdown Engineering

Unless its changed on the newer ABM's (I have an EVO II), with the DI set to post, all controls affect the signal out of the XLR socket apart from the master output volume - (that one only ever alters the volume coming out of your own speakers). If set to pre, only the input level control by the input socket, as well as the "shape" button, affect the signal. Hope that helps!

Edited by owenojo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, owenojo said:

Unless its changed on the newer ABM's (I have an EVO II), with the DI set to post, all controls affect the signal out of the XLR socket apart from the master output volume - (that one only ever alters the volume coming out of your own speakers). If set to pre, only the input level control by the input socket, as well as the "shape" button, affect the signal. Hope that helps!

Thanks! That's the key bit - I want to be able to use the Post Eq sounds to output to the PA, but also change stage volume without altering the level of DI feed to the PA. I've had heads before were Post Eq DI volume is changed with master volume - so this sounds ideal.