Why become a member? ×

Overwater underrated or overrated?

fiatcoupe432

I briefly played an Overwater Jazz bass a couple of years ago. It had Bart pu's and an East pre and was one of the best sounding basses I've heard. It weighed over 11lbs and the other Overwater, which I didn't even bother to pick up, was over 12lbs.

If I played sitting down I'd already own several of these incredible basses, but I don't so owning one will remain an unfulfilled dream.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I briefly played an Overwater Jazz bass a couple of years ago. It had Bart pu's and an East pre and was one of the best sounding basses I've heard. It weighed over 11lbs and the other Overwater, which I didn't even bother to pick up, was over 12lbs.

If I played sitting down I'd already own several of these incredible basses, but I don't so owning one will remain an unfulfilled dream.

They have a new thin line semi hollow body which you would think would be lighter. Not a conventional looking bass but I really like it. 

I can’t remember the body wood on my J4 but it is lighter than alder and they suggested it was a lighter price in their stockpile. Unfortunately I don’t have any scales.

Edit: added a pic because I think it looks great.

1AEFC049-66B0-4BE8-9644-F956F30E18AA.jpeg

Edited by OliverBlackman
  • Like 2

On 23/01/2020 at 17:50, TheGreek said:

I have my green Overwater Jazz for sale at the moment - not because it isn't a great bass, if anything the opposite - it plays fantastic with a huge usable tonal package. The reason for sale is that I, like many others here, have too many basses most of which don't get used.

After selling it several years ago I suffered with Sellers Remorse, when the buyer, @claustra, put it back up for sale I snapped it up, but it has pretty much lived in it's case since. If you look at my for sale thread you'll see that he even reconsidered buying it back again.

When I put it up for sale again, the original owner/ commissioner of the bass got in contact committing to buy it back once they'd sold their current bass. Several weeks later they got in contact to say, despite really wanting the bass back, they were now in the market for a 5/6 string bass, and pulled out.

So nobody who has owned the Overwater has been disappointed by it - if I was using it regularly I'd definitely keep it - cos I'm not, I'm giving somebody else the opportunity to put it to good use.

It's as good as any of the many other "Super Jazzes" out there, it'll do everything you ask of it - super punchy, super build quality and plays like a dream.

I often question why they're not held it more esteem.

case in point - your Jazz... I bet if it was made by a company in Brooklyn you would be selling it for double the amount....

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

One of my tutors at uni was Phil Mann. I briefly tried his first signature Overwater jazz, it was ridiculously heavy. So much so, I believe he returned it and had a lighter body built for it. 

5 hours ago, chris_b said:

I tried out one of the Hybrids at an open day they held in Camden last year which was a lot lighter than mine (probably a Swamp Ash body) - they have Gotoh type tuners which also takes a little bit more weight off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 21:00, binky_bass said:

Overwaters are like a poor mans Wal, except they're just as good! I've had 3 Overwaters (still have the 7!) and they are all exceptionally good instruments, fantastic build quality and sound unique and fabulous. 

Me again!😊 I've had four Wals in my time and Overwater in my view beat them hands down. That's why I now have no Wals! 

Wish I could have one but not being a pro player I can't justify around £3k plus on an instrument. BTW wondering whether the folk at Overwater are aware there's a mistake on the Players Past and Present tab. The names in the left column need to be shifted down by one step. At the moment John Entwistle played with Gary Numan and Rick Kemp rather than Martin was in Spandau Ballet