Why become a member? ×

Songs you dont like but with Interesting Bass lines

sbrag

I recently winced when I was told I needed to learn Livin on a Prayer which irritates the hell out of me, but I've quite enjoyed learning the bass part as it is an interesting line. Any other songs that fit this category?

Edited by sbrag

Classifying something as crap is a bit subjective, but, in my last covers band our female vocalist would suggest a number of70s and 80s pop tunes. Nothing I would ever choose to listen too but I have to say the basslines on them were far more interesting and enjoyable than the classic rock stuff the lead guitarist would put forward.

3 hours ago, sbrag said:

I recently winced when I was told I needed to learn Livin on a Prayer which irritates the hell out of me, but I've quite enjoyed learning the bass part as it is an interesting line. Any other songs that fit this category?

Ok. True its subjective but song you don't like but then appreciate the bassline of would be a bit long winded!

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

And a great bass line to play.

Indeed.  As per my signature I play in a Bon Jovi tribute and I probably enjoy playing this one more than any of the others.  MASSIVE wave of emotion comes back from the crowd as soon as you hit the notes.  :) 

Hugh McDonald was/is a damned fine bass player, as it goes, and wrote most f the basslines for the songs.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Babooshka- Kate Bush.

I like it because of the bass line. And, to a lesser extent, the lyrics. The rest of the song is er.... Not so good.

And the video.  You forgot to mention the video.

There, that's me outed as a shallow chauvinist.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Copacabana by Barry Manilow is a godawful song - the bassline, however, is sublime.

Weirdly enough I was thinking of putting this forward to our band. I can't think of the bassline in my head but I just think people will sing along and dance at functions. Will dig it out for a listen now! 

• Like 1

The entire Funk canon.

I always hear these great lines and great techniques; slappin' (no 'g'), poppin' (likewise) etc, flamenco strums, two handed tapping etc. All great from a technical point of view but, God, the music is s***. The one that I love and hate at the same time is 'Run For Cover' by David Sanborn. The funkiest bass line ever but, basically, like all Funk, it's chewing gum.

Edited by Bilbo
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

The entire Funk canon.

I always hear these great lines and great techniques; slappin' (no 'g'), poppin' (likewise) etc, flamenco strums, two handed tapping etc. All great from a technical point of view but, God, the music is s***. The one that I love and hate at the same time is 'Run For Cover' by David Sanborn. The funkiest bass line ever but, basically, like all Funk, it's chewing gum.

Most of the bass gymnastics music I hear is dreadful to my ears.

Not crazy quick or mad playing but I absolutely love this by Rich Brown.

Edited by thebassist

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Weirdly enough I was thinking of putting this forward to our band. I can't think of the bassline in my head but I just think people will sing along and dance at functions. Will dig it out for a listen now! 

It's a great bass part. I became aware of it after playing a gig and the venue put it this on thru a big sound system and the bass was just delightful. 

Its possibly Will Lee on bass but I don't know for sure. It's a proper ear worm of a tune too!

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 13:20, sbrag said:

I tried learning that one too....I only got half way there 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

The one that I love and hate at the same time is 'Run For Cover' by David Sanborn. The funkiest bass line ever but, basically, like all Funk, it's chewing gum.

Not true.

You're not listening to the right Funk.

There's a Funk thread on BC which should steer you in the right direction.

• Like 1