Why become a member? ×

Need advice - Mustang vs Precision

bamboofrog

Really sorry for another "help me" thread.

Looking at buying a bass and been to quite a few music shops in the past week. Really like the classic styling of the fender basses and am currently torn between the MiM Precision bass and Vintera Mustang. Played them both and liked them both, although quite different sounds. P bass felt gritty powerful, Mustang felt more rounded and bit softer. 

Andertons have both in January sale around the same price point and as such i'm torn. If the Mustang wasn't in the sale i probably wouldn't even consider it and even at £600 it still feels a tad pricey

Love the style of the mustang made me smile, shorter scale felt comfy.  On the other hand the P bass also felt comfy and had a really nice gut thump and is a classic. Part of me thinks that the P-bass will probably stand me better as an ongoing instrument for learning and progressing. 

Just getting tired of shop assistants giving questionable advice and need some players help - for example the sharp fret ends on one bass i tried is due to "the maple fret board", the dead Low e string on one mustang i tried is due to being a short scale (didn't account for the 4 others that sounded fine).

Just for context this is a first bass and although i should probably get something like a squier or starter ibanez -  i kept being drawn to the fenders, so think I would end up being disappointed if i went that road. But i'm happy to be advised :)

Thanks in advance

I’d say get the instrument you felt most comfortable with. I learned on a short scale bass and it wasn’t a problem moving to regular scale so I wouldn’t have too many concerns in that area. The instrument you gel with best will make learning so much easier.

• Like 6

Just to confuse things I went the opposite direction to Lozz! I played regular scale basses for more than 30 years before moving over to short scales - including a Mustang. Being a bit of a short ar5e I find short scales basses so much more comfortable to the point that I now wonder how I managed to struggle with standard scale basses for so long, whenever I pick one up now after playing short scales exclusively for a couple of years, they just feel big and cumbersome. 

But there's no right or wrong answer, whatever works for you. A short scale is probably easier to learn on but you may find that by the time you're playing with others and gigging you may prefer a standard scale. 

• Like 1

I play both a P and a Mustang. 

First thing I’d ask is whether you’ve played both on a strap when testing? Standing up and feeling the difference in the scale length and the difference the extra ‘reach’ that playing a P will bring may direct you to your answer.

in terms of price, there’s a beauty of a Vintera Mustang on here, unless it’s sold in the last few days, for less than £500.

• Like 3

I'm not a small chap and have fairly large hands but I find short scale basses really comfy to play.  One of my current team is a Squier VM Mustang and I'd say if you can find one of these snap it up as they are very nice indeed, as long as you don't mind a fairly narrow neck.  A previous owner had swapped the pickup for a Nordstrand NM4 and it sounds absolutely lovely, from a deep thud with the tone rolled off to a biting gnarly sound with the tone full on.  So, yes, Mustangs can sound nice and growly.  Here is an old clip of the average White Band with Hamish playing a gnarly sounding Mustang.   He isn't a small guy either.

On Ebay at the moment I noticed there are two Squier Vista Series Musicmasters for sale.  One of them over-priced, one pretty reasonable.  By Squier standards they aren't cheap but these Vista Series Musicmasters are a one of those jewels in the Squier back catalogue and very nice indeed.  They have particularly growly pickups, proper adjustable bridge with a string through option and a wider neck.  At one point I had a '79 Fender Musicmaster that I'd modded with a P pickup, one of these Vista series and a Squier VM Mustang, I'd say the Vista was the pick of the bunch.  Sold them all, of course, when I moved to 5 string basses, now edging back to 4 string short scale again....

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, bamboofrog said:

I think when i mentioned a "tad pricey" it was more for the fact that it would be my first bass.

There is a saying, buy your second bass first. Many people get a cheaper bass as a starter, and upgrade to a better bass quite quickly. If you jump straight to that second bass you'll probably find it's easier to play and will sound better, which should inspire you to improve as a player. Well that's the theory!

Then again, you will definitely find better deals in the classifieds.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, bamboofrog said:

Hey, no i played sitting down. Didn't even think of trying the bass while standing.

IMO you’re not getting a full comparison just playing seated. The different in scale feels more pronounced to me when standing and comfort/fatigue of your left arm may differ as a result.

if you’re moving from guitar then a shorty is an ideal mid-point in scale, and ultimately it was the market Fender had in mind when they first came out.

The suggestion above re: Squiers is a decent one, particularly the Vistas.

if you do prefer the feel of a Mustang in further consideration, have a look at the MIM Mustangs. P/J pickup configuration on them so you can get some sort of approximation of the P and J bass tone, or a blend of both. if you’re savvy these can be had secondhand for the £350-£400 mark.

Anyway, as primarily a P and Mustang player now, either are good safe bets for me. But I am kinda biased as, in their own way, both kinda feel like ‘home’.

• Like 2

I have one of the Squier Musicmasters and it's a great wee thing, was my first bass 16 years ago and I still going strong - If you are thinking short scale then keep your eyes peeled for one (but not at an extortionate price!)

Not helpful point: They will both be brilliant basses and will do exactly what you need them do as they are tried and tested basses

Maybe helpful point: What setting do you play in? Limited space or play cramped pub gigs - short scale might be best.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, really helps.

Those musicmasters look pretty neat!

Tried the MIM P/J mustang but was disappointed, really crackly switch and the connection for the j pickup kept dropping out. Obviously a bit of a dud, i know a lot of people rate them.

I'll keep scouring the the internet for that elusive bargain :) 

Buy whichever bass feels best and easiest for you to play. The most important thing for a first timer is to have a bass you like and want to pick up and play. Don't buy an instrument because it looks nice, or other people say it's great (it may be great for them, may not be right for you!).

Once you've found a bass which feels right, then you look at strings: stainless steel roundwounds are bright, zingy, sometimes metallic sounding. Nickel roundwounds have some brightness, but are more 'bassy' sounding, warmer and a little easier on the fingers.

Pickups should be secondary to both the above. You basically get two types of pickups, vintage or modern. Once you are proficient enough, you can get loads of suggestions and advice on pickups on this forum, or do a search, and read for yourself.

Fenders, Sires are good, but may I also suggest Yamaha TRBX or BB range basses, they are excellently built, sound good, and have super nice necks, making them very easy to play and feel very nice in the hands.

• Like 2

I've been playing both a P and my JMJ Mustang this morning here at home and going direct into my amp, eq bypassed and they both sound great. Maybe a little more 'clarity' from the P bass purely based on 'all things being equal' the short scale bass can sound a little 'thumpier' but if your keeping your eq in check on the amp either will sound good. Don't underestimate the following as it could save you money in the long run... Strings can be changed to make any bass sound brighter of more 'round' (steel, nickel or flats etc.) and pick ups swapped if you wanna get into the down the road but...

Get back to the shop, get back to the shop and wear each bass on your strap, feel which bass sits on you better or which feels the most comfortable to play. Don't be swayed by the name on the head stock - my last few gigs have all been on a used CV Squier jazz bass (with some used pick ups that I bought on here - whole package was about £200) and it sounds and plays great. I'm very happy with it.

I gig a JMJ Mustang in my other band primarily as it's a much busier gig for the left hand and it's lighter for those longer sets too. The shorter scale does feel really comfy irrespective of the gig.

At the end of the day if it feels right and plays right it's the right bass be that a squier or a USA Pro!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bamboofrog said:

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, really helps.

Those musicmasters look pretty neat!

Tried the MIM P/J mustang but was disappointed, really crackly switch and the connection for the j pickup kept dropping out. Obviously a bit of a dud, i know a lot of people rate them.

I'll keep scouring the the internet for that elusive bargain :) 

Common fault then possibly On those as mine had the exact same issue. GuitarGuitar fixes it under warranty for nowt just after purchase. Been perfect since.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

I play both a P and a Mustang. 

First thing I’d ask is whether you’ve played both on a strap when testing? Standing up and feeling the difference in the scale length and the difference the extra ‘reach’ that playing a P will bring may direct you to your answer.

in terms of price, there’s a beauty of a Vintera Mustang on here, unless it’s sold in the last few days, for less than £500.

Hey @mr4stringz thanks for pointing out the mustang on the classifieds, looks pretty perfect!

• Like 1

On 22/01/2020 at 11:36, chris_b said:

There is a saying, buy your second bass first. Many people get a cheaper bass as a starter, and upgrade to a better bass quite quickly. If you jump straight to that second bass you'll probably find it's easier to play and will sound better, which should inspire you to improve as a player. Well that's the theory!

Then again, you will definitely find better deals in the classifieds.

I completely agree with this , if you are sure you are going to stick with bass (which it sounds like that is the case) then get the bass that you really like, if you take the cheaper option just to save cash then you may end up buying another bass to scratch that itch further down the road

• Like 2

Just go with whichever bass seems most comfortable, both in standing up, and seated positions.
Add to that, which you think sounds best. Bear in mind though - you can always upgrade pickups at a later date.

As with many of us on here, you may end up buying your favourite bass.... only to add the other one to your collection a little while down the line! ;)

Try as many other basses as you can too - don't suddenly get one on a whim - unless you instantly feel "This is the best yet - this is the one for me"
In which case - just get that bass... Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide :) 

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts,  i've owned and played Ps, Js, Mustangs, Musicmasters and Broncos quite a bit and have debated short vs long scales many times. Obviously others experiences may differ. 

Tone

In terms of tone, I notice that full-scale bases tend to have "bottomless" quality to low end, where as short-scale basses are indeed bassy but can (not will) have a warmer and slightly more congested low-mid to my ears and sound less "focused".

I find that short-scale basses tend to have a stronger mid-rage compared to their long scale counterparts and because of this, can sound thinner sometimes in the deep lows because the low-mids are pretty warm

I tested this out by recording the same line with my MIM Classic 50s P and my Pawnshop Mustang (with Nordstrand NM4), whilst the P has a very present midrange, it also seemed a bit deeper, whereas the mustang sounded "pokier"

HOWEVER, this isnt necessarily a night and day difference and YMMV. The Nordstrand NM4 sounds alot more like a p-bass than the stock mustang pickups do (which remind me more of a cross between Jazz and P)

Playability

I'm a short guy and the mustang is possibly one of the most comfortable basses ive ever played, I've still got it but sold the P.

Honestly, I love my mustang and with some careful eq-ing you might be hard pressed to tell the difference between that and a Precision. But the thinner neck and shorter reach make it a breeze to play. 

An important couple of things to mention is that a short scale bass with the same gauge string as a long scale bass will have lower tension and can feel floppy. I always get heavier gauges on short scales.

To add to this, if you downtune, this can be problematic on a shortscale bass as the strings just get floppy as hell, I play in one band that does dropped D but down half a step (so drop c#?), had to give up on the short scales for that and use a Sterling SUB instead.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice. Out of interest @Dosi Y'Anarchywhen you say you're a short guy, how tall are you?

I'm 5'6 and wouldn't consider myself super short but definitely shorter than the average - found the mustang very comfortable both standing and sitting. P bass was ok either way but not as comfortable, definitely adds a little more strain, especially when getting a little tense in the shoulders :) 

10 minutes ago, bamboofrog said:

Thanks for the advice. Out of interest @Dosi Y'Anarchywhen you say you're a short guy, how tall are you?

I'm 5'6 and wouldn't consider myself super short but definitely shorter than the average - found the mustang very comfortable both standing and sitting. P bass was ok either way but not as comfortable, definitely adds a little more strain, especially when getting a little tense in the shoulders :) 

I think im 5'5 or 5'6 and i've no problems with long scale basses, i did struggle with the 45mm nut width of the Classic 50's P when combined with the longer reach but i still could play fine. 

I'm almost exclusively on short scale basses now, except where i need to downtune significantly or need the harmonics on the 9th fret (they dont ring out as clear on short scale basses i find). So i have one band that i need both those things so thats where the Sterling SUB comes in. 

I also regularly use my Gibson DC Tribute bass, which is also 30 inch scale but a totally different tone to the mustang. Currently, however i'm trying to shoehorn my Squier VI into everything i do. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bamboofrog said:

From your height and what you've said, go short scale all the way. 

Don't worry about short scale Vs long scale and the different sound dynamics, later down the line you could get an amp with lots of eq options, or an eq pedal to adjust these things.

• Like 1