Why become a member? ×

Opinions on the Player Series Jazz

Bassmingo

I play in a tribute act, and the act we tribute has changed from using a Standard Jag to a Jazz with maple neck and I'm considering doing the same.

I like the Jag, but I've a decent collection and I've no real emotional attachment to it. It was bought to use in this band, and that's it's only job. 

I could probably offload the Jag and get a Player Jazz without having to spend too much money.

I already own a Jazz that I built from parts so I'm no stranger to them, (but it's the wrong colour for this band) but I am a stranger to the Player series. I've not tried a Player Jazz yet so I'm asking any owners here to chime in with their opinions, especially Polar white/maple neck owners!

3 hours ago, Bassmingo said:

I play in a tribute act, and the act we tribute has changed from using a Standard Jag to a Jazz with maple neck and I'm considering doing the same.

I like the Jag, but I've a decent collection and I've no real emotional attachment to it. It was bought to use in this band, and that's it's only job. 

I could probably offload the Jag and get a Player Jazz without having to spend too much money.

I already own a Jazz that I built from parts so I'm no stranger to them, (but it's the wrong colour for this band) but I am a stranger to the Player series. I've not tried a Player Jazz yet so I'm asking any owners here to chime in with their opinions, especially Polar white/maple neck owners!

I can't resist asking - what is the tribute act?

Frank.

I've had one since October in Tidepool/maple and I'd pretty much echo the above; electronics and pickups are good, tuners do slip out of tune a touch but by no means are they bad. Neck feels great, fretboard tidy i.e. rolled edges, no sharp frets. Might benefit from a proper shielding as the pickups do tend to pick up EMI if they're near anything emitting.

20191230_153339.jpg

Edited by invertigo

Interesting that the fretboard has rounded edges, my MIM Standard precision from 2012 had very squared-off edges to the point that it was uncomfortable to play until I had rounded it off a bit. I was vaguely looking at getting a MIM Jazz, but was shying away from maple fretboards as the finish means that a simple round-over isn't possible without lots of hassle.

I swapped the tuners on my MIM P to HB7s too (very easy, didn't even need to change the bushings), the gearing is a bit low on the standard machines making it hard to tune precisely and they also creaked a bit when first moved after sitting around.

1 minute ago, nilebodgers said:

Interesting that the fretboard has rounded edges, my MIM Standard precision from 2012 had very squared-off edges to the point that it was uncomfortable to play until I had rounded it off a bit. I was vaguely looking at getting a MIM Jazz, but was shying away from maple fretboards as the finish means that a simple round-over isn't possible without lots of hassle.

I swapped the tuners on my MIM P to HB7s too (very easy, didn't even need to change the bushings), the gearing is a bit low on the standard machines making it hard to tune precisely and they also creaked a bit when first moved after sitting around.

Now, when I say rolled edges, they're still a long way off fully rounded like you might see on a Custom Shop level, there is still a definitive edge, its just moved inwards a bit and, for me at least, never gets touched by my fingers or hands. Best to give one a try in all honesty.

The tuners on my Player Precision have been fine, no issues at all. I left it in Germany from Sep til Dec last year and when I unlocked the case and took it out it was still tuned perfectly, and there was no more adjustments needed during the gigs than on my US Precision.

Thanks for all the replies. Good to see that the overall opinion on the bass is positive. I had my suspicion it would be that way, but as I'm going to order online I wanted people's hands on experience. 

For context here's the Old standard Jag he was using and the current Jazz. Not sure if the Jazz is a player.

DuhHT1WX4AAfr9_.jpg

1nyfvecg0fs31.jpg

Edited by Bassmingo

41 minutes ago, acidbass said:

A Ghost tribute act - superb!  I absolutely love Ghost, what a brilliant band.  Are you tuned in drop D then?  Where do you get those masks?

All Ghost songs I've come across while learning them so far are in DCGF, apart from Mummy Dust which is in CGCF. 

The great thing about Ghost is there's a huge cosplay scene built up around them, so costumes and masks aren't that hard to source. 

I've got a Player Precision and think that it's absolutely fine. I'm not blown away by it, it's a £500-600 bass, so it should be pretty decent IMO. 
But it sounds great, built very well, fit and finish is excellent, so yeah.........decent! :)

Si

I own two Player Series Fender basses: one Precision in black/maple, and a Jazz in white/maple. 
Both are really good basses for the price. They play well, they sound good, and the finish is also really good. Neck and frets are fine on both. 
Once in a band mix, you cannot really justify spending £1300+ on an American Fender. I’m really happy with my Players; they cover all my bass needs!

With my band, the P is my main axe. Sits nicely in the band mix!

3 hours ago, Bassmingo said:

Ghost. Poppy metal with a faux satanic image. Huge following. Over 30 tribute acts worldwide. 

With the added bonus that you could have a entire pool of deps and no-one would be any the wiser.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

I own two Player Series Fender basses: one Precision in black/maple, and a Jazz in white/maple. 
Both are really good basses for the price. They play well, they sound good, and the finish is also really good. Neck and frets are fine on both. 
Once in a band mix, you cannot really justify spending £1300+ on an American Fender. I’m really happy with my Players; they cover all my bass needs!

With my band, the P is my main axe. Sits nicely in the band mix!

This is a very good point. I prefer the heck profile on my US Ps, but once the band is going there’s no real difference in the mix between them and the Player.