Why become a member? ×

Orange Crush Bass 50 Quiet!

Golightly

Hi all, took delivery of an Orange Crush Bass 50 last week and with all eq set to noon and blend/ gain off the volume is not that impressive with the bass volume and amp volume at max. I'm playing in a room that's about 12 by 9 feet in size. Am I expecting to much from 50W?

• 1 year later...

Golightly....I have the same problem. I did a trade and I really didn't test the amp. It looked brand new.

My meter said the speaker was 12 and a half ohms so I got a new speaker from Orange from Georgia. Turns out I needed to clean the contacts on my meter the old speaker IS 4 ohms LOL

Like you with everything flat I can run it at 10 and it's not that loud at all. It's pretty bad when your Fender Rumble 25 watt with an 8in speaker is about the same volume. I don't know what's happening I took it apart and I'm just looking around but I don't see anything. Are they just quiet with everything at noon? It seems like a 15 watt amp.

20210212_110343.heic

Edited by Marty McFly

Two points to make here. First, the tone controls make a big difference in the output. 6dB of bass boost is equivalent to boosting power by a factor of four. According to Orange the bass EQ is capable of +/-15dB. That means with the bass control flat and the volume full you might not be getting 50w. Depending on the output level of your bass you might be getting 5w or less. Second, the difference between an amp at 25 watts and an amp at 50 watts is 3dB. 3dB is audible, but just. All else being equal if you want to sound twice as loud as 25w you'll need 250w.

• Like 2

I understand all that Bill. A 100 watt amp is only a 'tiny' bit louder than a 50. One watt per channel on the power meters of a stereo amp is a loud.

But even at that, I have owned 160 guitars and a boat load of amps both bass and guitar....this is pretty anemic.

And why would I want to add gain for volume? 

This is a pretty weak amp.

It sounds to me like a problem, I have an Ashdown 15 watt combo with an eight inch integral speaker and with all eq at noon it’s too loud to have on max volume with a passive Jazz bass, wouldn’t be considerate of my neighbours. It’s in my spare room, approx 10ft x 10ft.

On 21/01/2020 at 11:26, Golightly said:

Hi all, took delivery of an Orange Crush Bass 50 last week and with all eq set to noon and blend/ gain off the volume is not that impressive with the bass volume and amp volume at max. I'm playing in a room that's about 12 by 9 feet in size. Am I expecting to much from 50W?

Two thoughts... you haven't got the 6dB pad button pressed down? That will make it sound like a 12W amp.

Second, to get a decent level of output you need the gain set high. Roll the blend control back to get a cleaner sound, not the gain.

These are tricky amps to understand, I was put off when I tried one in PMT but it was because I didn't understand how the gain and blend controls interact.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hey Guys. Just to say I got my Orange Crush 50 to replace my First version of an Ampeg BA-112. The Ampeg (50 watt) developed that common problem of crackling which nobody (incl Ampeg who are not interested) seems able to fix. The Orange is not in the same ballpark as the Ampeg ( when it was working). The Ampeg is way louder and is obviously a bass amp - it has that depth which the Orange does not. I have used the Ampeg to gig at small venues but mainly for practice. The Orange could be used for guitar and will do for a bass practice amp but it is not a serious bass amp. I use a USA P bass and Marcus Miller Jazz bass through mine. It's ok for learning tho.

Gain is the level of the signal going into the EQ section and then on to the power section. If you turn that down there's nearly no signal for the power stage to amplify. 

So turn up the gain to the point of breakup (drive) that sounds best to your ears, then turn up the volume to the desired loudness, then adjust the EQ to fix any acoustic issues.

Otherwise it's like driving a car with a clamp on the fuel line.

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 1