Why become a member? ×

Storing cabs outside the home

Cat Burrito

I may be moving soon and space will be an issue. What are people's thoughts on storing cabs in a garage? They have heavy duty covers and would be off the ground slightly. I have too many to keep in the house and would rather the limited space was reserved for my basses / heads. Any thoughts or experiences?

I have a ‘mancave’ which I store my gear in. Initially it was suffering damp ingress so lots of gear got ruined.

I’ve since had it tanked but it’s still having issues with condensation hence mould and mildew, so next step is a dehumidifier. 

One issue (documented elsewhere on here) is that my amp doesn’t like being brought in from the cold so has to be ‘prewarmed’ before use, otherwise it cuts out.

I think that goes the same for lots of electronics - if they’re taken into a warm room from very cold you can get condensation which can cause shorts - I used to play with a keys player who stored his keyboard in his car and it died at a gig for precisely that reason.  

Edited by Jakester

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

Initially wanted to always keep my gear indoors but for the last few years I've kept my 4 SWR speaker cabs in the garage. All OK except for the one I spilt cider over. Ever since then patches of mould grow within a week but this is easily brushed off the carpet covering. No deterioration in the cone as far as I can hear or see.

If it’s tolex, wiping down with antibacterial spray helps to prevent it coming back. 

I would be more worried about the equipment that was left in the car and someone decides to make a "loan".

When the cab is brought inside to warm temperature, the cold parts get a cover of moisture. Slow warming up prevents this to happen. So take it easy and there's no need to worry.

As the owner of a pest control business I should probably point out that we have never seen so many field mice as we have this year. We have been inundated with calls from people who are finding mice in garages, lofts, outbuildings etc. I'd be wary about keeping expensive gear anywhere where mice can get to it. They do love a good chew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1