Why become a member? ×

NND!

Waddycall

Just fitted a fretless Jazz neck to my Mexican P. Wish I’d tried fretless years ago.

cant stop playing along to Graceland! Listening to that album inspired me to give it a go.

hopefully I’ll get the hang of it enough to take it to band practice one day. I’ll spare them the the pain for now.

5AC14099-F032-4B44-A347-E5DFC6DCDEE0.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks later I am completely hooked. Taken this to two band practices now and love it. We’re a three piece originals rock band and it really seems to work. The only thing it lacks is a bit of top end sparkle. Any suggestions on how to get some? I’ve got new rotosound 66s on. Would a bass with a bridge pickup have a bit more sizzle?

On 26/01/2020 at 18:28, Grahambythesea said:

Good for you, a tip, try not to look, use your ears!👂 You’ll soon get the hang of it.

Most people advise lined fretless.  Having tried both I very much disagree.  So long as you have side dots on the note, not where they'd be on a fretted you'll be fine with unlined.  As G says let your ears do the playing.  Far from being scary and restricting I found unlined liberating and very satisfying.  I now regard frets as like stabilisers on a kid's bike, and lined fretless as not much better.   

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

On 08/02/2020 at 07:17, Waddycall said:

A couple of weeks later I am completely hooked. Taken this to two band practices now and love it. We’re a three piece originals rock band and it really seems to work. The only thing it lacks is a bit of top end sparkle. Any suggestions on how to get some? I’ve got new rotosound 66s on. Would a bass with a bridge pickup have a bit more sizzle?

A Boss Bass Limiter/ Enhancer on the recommended "enhance" setting from the manual. Or the Behringer clone. Really helped get some character out of my Fretless (then I got a multi fx with loads of Fretless presets... And as its a Boss multi I can throw in an LMB-2 emulator too on any effects I want)