Why become a member? ×

Band diary

Phil Starr

I'm looking for something that we can use to keep a band diary and communicate with each other, half the band use emails and won't touch social media the others won't read emails as they have hundreds of unopened ones. I'm sure there was a thread on software for bands in BC a few months back but I can't find it. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys, I've had a quick look at all your suggestions, I was looking at Band anyway. seems like a good general purpose diary app, ironically nothing to do with bands :) but a good adaptable possibility. Band Mule looks interesting with shared set lists and a chat room built into the app. I'm sure there were others like this

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Good luck. If they won't read e- mail will they actually use the app.

When I get a text message regarding a booking I respond with a " yes I'm available" because I always am. and a "thank you" within seconds of receipt.  

Blue

Musicians eh?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

We've been having a play with band mule app, works for android and apple.

Tried Band Mule a few months ago, and it was almost perfect, except that it didn't do live push messages, which meant if any of the band members sent a message, the rest of the members didn't see it until, or unless they logged into the app, effectively making it useless. I don't know if this has been fixed since, but it's a shame as otherwise it would be pretty much perfect for a band app. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xzodar said:

We use ‘Teamup’. It’s web based and also has Android and IOS apps. 

Teamup for calendar and whatsapp works for us.  We have not used the reminder facility but there is one there. You can lead a horse to water etc etc.

Google Calendar all day long.  

Not fussy nor complicated, easily accessed, read, edited by either one person in the band or all of the band (latter is preferable).  We are each responsible for putting in any of our 'unavailable' dates, which means that if any one of us gets offered a gig, you simply look at the calendar, if it isn't booked out or someone unavailable then that person takes the gig and puts it in the calendar (along with time/fee/contact name and number for the venue)... simple as!

You automatically get sent emails of updates that are put in the calendar, one person puts a booking in and everyone gets an email... up to the individual if they read it or not but it is there.  You can set automatic reminders for weeks/days/hours before the gig, which is handy to remind you to send out posters.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2020 at 21:22, mr zed said:

We use an app called Time Tree. Works well for us.

Another Time Tree user here. Problem is when people don't put gigs in it and someone else does the responsible thing of looking at the band calendar before booking his holiday to the US...! 

I just got this text message 5 minutes ago;

"Music & Media, N135 W15425 Rockfield Rd, Germantown 53022. 

Hey guys, new gig on Sat March 7th will be an 8:30pm start time, waiting to hear what time we should arrive to load in." 

I responded immediately with ; "Nice booking! I'm good for March 7th. Thanks"

Seems simple to me, but some guys are not good with email or text messages.

I can check our website as a reminder. I always check on Thursday to see what we have coming up for the weekend.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Hey guys, new gig on Sat March 7th will be an 8:30pm start time, waiting to hear what time we should arrive to load in." 

I responded immediately with ; "Nice booking! I'm good for March 7th. Thanks"

What would have happened if you or someone else in the band had a prior commitment on 7th March?  Would the person taking that booking in your band have to ring the venue/person back and find an alternative date?  

Other systems mean that whole bands can book out dates that they are unavailable which negates having to email each individual in the band to inform them or check on dates.  

Whichever calendar is chosen, the problem is always human incompetence or sloth! There will always be someone who forgets to enter their own unavailable dates or can't be ar$ed to.

We use the Lemonrock calendar for both our bands, kept bang up to date by only one of us - me. All band members are requested to *promptly* let us know of any dates they can't make - via email, text, Whatsapp, etc. - and I do the rest. Anything marked as free in those diaries will be accepted as a booking.