Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

2 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Some of the posts in this thread serve to prove that one shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Al Cisneros is part of a pretty elite group as Ric have only ever released five signature model bass guitars - he is number 5.

So what, sure he’s a great guy and a great player, but I’ve not heard of him or for that matter half the ‘signature’ artists of other brands. If you believe it’s some form of honour bestowed, that’s up to you, but in my view his people talked to their people, sums were agreed and contracts signed. Counter to the ‘honour’ view, I imagine many artists would run a mile at the thought of a signature bass with a large multinational corporation, especially given the poor quality if some of them. 

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

So what, sure he’s a great guy and a great player, but I’ve not heard of him or for that matter half the ‘signature’ artists of other brands. If you believe it’s some form of honour bestowed, that’s up to you, but in my view his people talked to their people, sums were agreed and contracts signed. Counter to the ‘honour’ view, I imagine many artists would run a mile at the thought of a signature bass with a large multinational corporation, especially given the poor quality if some of them. 

So do you think that Glenn Frey, Chris Squire, Paul McCartney and Lemmy were just doing it for the cash? That's a pretty distinctive group in my opinion. Unlike a lot of bass manufacturers it seems to be quite difficult to get a signature Ric.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

So do you think that Glenn Frey, Chris Squire, Paul McCartney and Lemmy were just doing it for the cash? That's a pretty distinctive group in my opinion. Unlike a lot of bass manufacturers it seems to be quite difficult to get a signature Ric.

You make a rather good point I have to admit :)

• Like 2

Maybe not the cup of tea for most here, but Al absolutely defined if not created a genre with his band Sleep.

Matamp and Rickenbacker were part of the bands image and inherent to their sound from their formation in the early 90's.

Granted These practically unplugged demo videos aren't representative of the sound he makes (what can only really be described as righteous), but his technique comes from coaxing the tone from a wall of High gain amplifiers.

Sleep and Om are well worth checking out, especially the offerings with Chris Haikus on drums.

🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Maybe not the cup of tea for most here, but Al absolutely defined if not created a genre with his band Sleep.

Matamp and Rickenbacker were part of the bands image and inherent to their sound from their formation in the early 90's.

Granted These practically unplugged demo videos aren't representative of the sound he makes (what can only really be described as righteous), but his technique comes from coaxing the tone from a wall of High gain amplifiers.

Sleep and Om are well worth checking out, especially the offerings with Chris Haikus on drums.

🙂

Evidence certainly suggests that he's a righteous kinda guy, the 2x3 equation of RIC + SVT 

image.thumb.png.4e6842623fb76252efb04aa0c46fe9f8.png

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

An 8 string bass, great, 5 strings to not play rather than just the 1.

Spoken like a man who has never experienced the sonic hugeness an 8 can provide. Think a 12 string guitar but enormous.😉

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Spoken like a man who has never experienced the sonic hugeness an 8 can provide. Think a 12 string guitar but enormous.😉

Or just go the whole hog and play a 12-sting bass?

Actually, don't bother; I bought one once - took it to a rehearsal with an originals band, played it on a couple of songs. No one noticed. Or cared... 😕😃

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Actually, don't bother; I bought one once - took it to a rehearsal with an originals band, played it on a couple of songs. No one noticed. Or cared... 😕😃

Then clearly, not using it right or in the right situation as an owner of 8 and 12 string basses they absolutely kill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I sometimes wonder about the people in other people’s bands. In mine, if I bring a different bass, or change my sound, it’s almost always commented upon. They certainly noticed the 8! 

19 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I sometimes wonder about the people in other people’s bands. In mine, if I bring a different bass, or change my sound, it’s almost always commented upon. They certainly noticed the 8! 

My current band certainly noticed when I turned up with my Rickenbacker. Our singer is absolutely disgusted by them.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

My current band certainly noticed when I turned up with my Rickenbacker. Our singer is absolutely disgusted by them.

I had exactly the same experience, singer said ‘bring your Fender next time’. I tooK the Ric and kept taking the Ric, because in a 3-piece it worked way better than the Precision. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

Then clearly, not using it right or in the right situation as an owner of 8 and 12 string basses they absolutely kill.

I had my first 8-string (a dreadful Washburn) in 1985-ish, and in that particular originals band it suited so well that for our reunion gig recently, the guitarist asked me where it was (I used the Stomp in the end, which did the job), but in the case in point, it was bang on for the songs I used it - ringing, open notes, etc. - but the fact there were two guitars doing similar things at the same time made it more difficult to, erm, kill.

14 hours ago, Beedster said:

I had exactly the same experience, singer said ‘bring your Fender next time’. I tooK the Ric and kept taking the Ric, because in a 3-piece it worked way better than the Precision. 

I guess it must be about the combination of player and instrument. I’ve used all sorts of things,  Alembics, Warwicks, Jaydees, Seis, Wals etc etc and everyone always says my Rics sound best. In fact one old band member once said, quite bluntly, “I dont know why you bother using all these other basses because that one sounds miles better than the others”, pointing to my Fireglo ‘72. Another commented on my newly-bought Roadworn Jazz, “that sounds really weak and nasal”, which is the story of me and Jazzes, sadly. They really liked my 8 string Ric though. Great bass.

14 hours ago, Beedster said:

I tooK the Ric and kept taking the Ric, because in a 3-piece it worked way better than the Precision. 

Interesting comment, Chris. Was this just a personal thing, or is there some sonical logical reasoning for it?

In my 3-piece band with very little by way of lead guitar work going on, I'm using a 5-string plus occasional FX (octaver, chorus, +2 octave guitar effect) but I'd be happy to experiment with different approaches.

18 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I guess it must be about the combination of player and instrument. I’ve used all sorts of things,  Alembics, Warwicks, Jaydees, Seis, Wals etc etc and everyone always says my Rics sound best. In fact one old band member once said, quite bluntly, “I dont know why you bother using all these other basses because that one sounds miles better than the others”, pointing to my Fireglo ‘72. Another commented on my newly-bought Roadworn Jazz, “that sounds really weak and nasal”, which is the story of me and Jazzes, sadly. They really liked my 8 string Ric though. Great bass.

6 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Interesting comment, Chris. Was this just a personal thing, or is there some sonical logical reasoning for it?

In my 3-piece band with very little by way of lead guitar work going on, I'm using a 5-string plus occasional FX (octaver, chorus, +2 octave guitar effect) but I'd be happy to experiment with different approaches.

I found the Rics filled the space in a three piece - and without FX- in a way that my Precisions and even my Modulus Flea didn’t. There’s an almost sub-bass quality to a good Ric played through a big tube amp that I’ve never found with even the best active basses (Wal, Modulus, Sadowsky etc). Its lows are organic and visceral, as opposed to what always feels synthetic and forced with an active bass. Player and instrument it could well be, always felt really at home with my 4003FL and my C64, both strung with flats, and never had to touch EQ to get thunderous tone. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2020 at 20:07, Beedster said:

That has to be the least inspiring video I have ever seen of a bass, everything from the back office setting through the poor sound quality and technique through to his apparent disinterest, all make for nothing more than a strong reinforcement of what a lot of bassists think of Rics, and frankly what a lot of guitarists think of bassists :)

Sloppiest thing I've heard/seen in a while.