Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

ah no...he does it here too...

That has to be the least inspiring video I have ever seen of a bass, everything from the back office setting through the poor sound quality and technique through to his apparent disinterest, all make for nothing more than a strong reinforcement of what a lot of bassists think of Rics, and frankly what a lot of guitarists think of bassists :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Do my eyes deceive me?

Is this a brand new Rickenbacker 4005? Eight string?

If I'm not dreaming, could there be hope for a 4-string 4005 on the horizon?

And man, that is one stupidly ugly headstock, and I LOVE Rics. Is RH setting out to destroy the business? 

• Like 1

Just now, Beedster said:

And man, that is one stupidly ugly headstock, and I LOVE Rics. Is RH setting out to destroy the business? 

It’s an archived bass. They have their own little museum.

that bass needs to stay there. Only the headstock ruins it as it’s good looking otherwise 

7 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s an archived bass. They have their own little museum.

that bass needs to stay there. Only the headstock ruins it as it’s good looking otherwise 

Ah, though this thread was about a newbie. Dread to think what monstrosities live in that museum then. And yes, otherwise the 4005 is about as desirable a bass as it gets for me. 

43 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Am I going to be the first to say that he makes it sound poo?

The volume is too low, too much string clacking being picked up by the mic. When he’s at full concert volume, his rib-shaking schtick is quite something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

Yeah, the headstock looks like shit. Literally, like a big turd!

I love the rest of the bass, though. Curvy loveliness. Al Cisneros isn't exactly a bass player's bass player; the weak, clean sound and aimless noodling belie the monolithic riffage he can put out, but even that is a niche taste.

Ah, poo! I saw the hang-tag and got all full of hope!

I'd have preferred some monolithic riffage to that aimless tinny fret masturbation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The volume is too low, too much string clacking being picked up by the mic. When he’s at full concert volume, his rib-shaking schtick is quite something.

Yes, I saw a photo of him plugged into 4 x SVT/8x10, which I assume is his on-stage monitoring. Glorious. 

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beedster said:

It’s usually referred to as the potatohead. Just so’s you know. I first saw one about 40 years ago. 😉

FWIW, as someone stated above, there’s not likely to be any more 4005 basses while JH is around. He really doesn’t like them and refers to them as tuna boats.

I’ve only ever played one. It was ok but the bridge pickup was too near the bridge for me. 

My 4003s8 on the other hand was awesome. 

Edited by 4000