Why become a member? ×

Mex precision custom help

J66Bass

Good morning,I have made some change already to my precision Mex ,stunning 60 s blue ,bridge cover ,had the neck completely check,and change the pick up to fender 63 custom,which sounds great BUT somehow a tad to bright to my ears probably due to a change of strings from  my usual rotosound swing normal gauge,my question is does it make sense to change the electronic such as the transistors ?the one I have now are the mex ,I can of looking for a fatter sound, hope my question make sense. Thanks again 

I reckon you'll hear a bigger difference in sound by waiting for the new strings lose a bit of that brand new zing than you will by changing the electronics.

Might be worth trying put a few different brands and types of strings as well. Just putting flatwounds on instead of rounds will make a big difference to your basic tone.

I went on a bit of string journey a few years ago where I was trying a different brand every couple of months, I was quite surprised at how much difference there is in sound, feel and response between the various different makes.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

I agree with Cato. New strings, especially rounds, can be horribly zingy until they've settled in. If you want fat, I'd experiment with flats. They're not all like La Bellas (nothing against them - I keep a P strung with ancient LBs for that Jamerson thang). I like Chromes or TIs. Both have plenty of clarity and brightness together with the fullness. I'd suggest trying a gauge lighter than you are used to in rounds as they have higher tension (or feel as if they do at any rate). I've tried Roto flats, btw and didn't like them at all. Felt like strips of wood under the fingers. They're good at rounds, but I don't think they have it as far as flats go.

• Like 1

I’ve just put new strings on one of my basses and to counteract the ‘new string zing’ I just put a bit of foam under the strings at the bridge. Not a huge piece, just lightly touching. It just takes off that top end until the string have been played in a bit. 

• Like 1