Why become a member? ×

New zoom multi G11.... Hopefully a bass one?

danbowskill

On 15/12/2020 at 20:49, MattiZ said:

I could post some of my findings if there is any interest, after having some time to actually play the thing.

Yes, please. Will you be looking to use 3rd party IRs to load into the G11 for more cab sim flexibility?

On 30/07/2020 at 23:34, stewblack said:

...There seems a hole in the market between the £100 - £150 multi effects and the £400 and above. 

If we are allowed to include used prices, as I'm guessing that's where many of us source a significant proportion of our kit (particularly where we have such a trustworthy market place on BC!), then a used HX Effects can be bought for £250 to £300 which falls very nicely into that gap!

On 30/07/2020 at 23:40, dave_bass5 said:

I've got a B3n, B1-on, B1-Four and a 60B... None are as clean or solid sounding as my Helix Stomp. Even using the BDDI sim on each. I've tried it.

With headphones on (my usual way of practising), I can hear a lower quality with the Zoom boxes. A bit more noise, a bit less depth and openness. 

In a band situation though, I would never notice, and wouldn’t hesitate to use the B3n or B1-Four if I had to. The band covers a lot of impurities. 

^^ exactly this.  

I'm also a big Zoom fan - but can't deny the accuracy of this post!

@MattiZ @jimfist do you know if Zoom have upgraded their chipset from the B3N and B1-4 with the G11 and G5N?

Edited by Al Krow

3 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Ampero is in this price bracket. Recently updated firmware seems to tick alot of boxes.

Also the forthcoming zoom g6 will probably be in there... Competing with Pod Go.

Did you get the Ampero?

It does look super cool: 9 effects blocks, IR, drum machine, touch screen all for £269 (Andertons). But looks mainly geared to guitarists / not much for bass - has that changed with the recent firmware update?

The "deal breaker" is parallel path routing which is a big plus for me on the Helix - having had a quick look at the manual couldn't see that the Ampero provides this?

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@MattiZ @jimfist do you know if Zoom have upgraded their chipset from the B3N and B1-4 with the G11 and G5N?

I really don't know about chipset, and though these details do matter from an engineering standpoint, I tend to let my ears and instincts make the decision (of course assuming that the function of the gear meets certain needs).

The G11 is certainly a capable multi-fx modeler.  The problems always have been the initial asking price, the looks (which turn off most), and that they are chasing existing competition that already do almost EVERYTHING the G11 purports to do better than ZOOM is doing it....perhaps with just a few noteworthy exceptions - predominantly, the dumbed-down simplicity (not necessarily a bad thing) of having 5 always-available switches w/control knobs.  Otherwise, price was always king for ZOOM, and getting good bang-for-buck is the reason why many enjoy their products. Unfortunately, the G11 is outside the bang-for-buck sweet spot which will make it a difficult sell.  I think the G6 will be more viable, and I'm curious to see where that lands in terms of features and cost.

I can't say that I disagree with the notion that all ZOOM really needed to do following the old version G5/G3/B3 was work to improve the quality of its modeling algorithms - mainly for amps, cabs, and dirt/drive pedals. But they decided to junk that whole format in going to the "n" series, and are only now starting to re-incorporate some of those features, but without the depth of capability evidently (MIDI implementation, assignable parameter to exp pedal, etc.)

2 minutes ago, jimfist said:

I really don't know about chipset, and though these details do matter from an engineering standpoint, I tend to let my ears and instincts make the decision (of course assuming that the function of the gear meets certain needs).

The G11 is certainly a capable multi-fx modeler.  The problems always have been the initial asking price, the looks (which turn off most), and that they are chasing existing competition that already do almost EVERYTHING the G11 purports to do better than ZOOM is doing it....perhaps with just a few noteworthy exceptions - predominantly, the dumbed-down simplicity (not necessarily a bad thing) of having 5 always-available switches w/control knobs.  Otherwise, price was always king for ZOOM, and getting good bang-for-buck is the reason why many enjoy their products. Unfortunately, the G11 is outside the bang-for-buck sweet spot which will make it a difficult sell.  I think the G6 will be more viable, and I'm curious to see where that lands in terms of features and cost.

I can't say that I disagree with the notion that all ZOOM really needed to do following the old version G5/G3/B3 was work to improve the quality of its modeling algorithms - mainly for amps, cabs, and dirt/drive pedals. But they decided to junk that whole format in going to the "n" series, and are only now starting to re-incorporate some of those features, but without the depth of capability evidently (MIDI implementation, assignable parameter to exp pedal, etc.)

And not only that, but Zoom are facing some serious competition in the sub £150 price bracket e.g. from the Mooer GE150 (£126 Amazon) and Valeton GP 100 (£115 Thomann) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...