Why become a member? ×

New zoom multi G11.... Hopefully a bass one?

danbowskill

Oh gosh. Going to be very difficult remaining patient for the early buyers to start selling these second hand. 

I don't know how Zoom do it to me but they do. Can't resist! 

I know some don't like the interface but it suits me fine and there is always at least one and often more than one effect makes each pedal they sell a cost effective alternative to buying the equivalent stomp/s

• Like 1

The carbon look is a little dated IMHO, but otherwise, if this allows for Helix-like signal chain splits with crossovers, even the guitar version would be great for bass! Although looking at that demo alone, it seems unlikely - more of a simple interface like the new POD Go.

Edited by dannybuoy

I love the gradual evolution of the Zoom multi fx. With the understandable exception of the standalone MS-60B, this looks like every single improvement they've made to their pedals incorporated into one unit, with some new spice added. Love the idea of 5 individual pedals which can easily be switched to patches, the scroll up and down options, the master volume and tone options and the use of knobs and pedals reducing the need to menu dive. 

Bass version please Mr Zoom. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been using my G5n for bass for quite some time with no complaints. Depending on what sort of tone you're looking for, you can be well-served by a Marshall or Hi-Watt rig, especially for vintage bass tones.  Having IR loading on the G11 can help close that gap somewhat with some good-quality bass IRs.

I do miss some of the bass specific stuff on the B3n. Not going to lie.

I'm concerned about the G11 price, though. The Line 6 Pod Go seems like an incredible package with loads of bass stuff already there for the taking, and at a nice price. The G11 may be coming in at twice the price of the G5n, and there's a bit of stiff competition in that middle price point right now. I guess we'll see how this shakes out. 

Edited by jimfist
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

As a user of a B3n i was hoping Zoom were going to release a product to compete with the Helix/Pod Go range of products but i think they have missed the mark with this one. The lack of balanced outputs and so far no news of any bass amp/cab models make this a deal breaker for me. They should move away from the idea of having separate guitar and bass versions of pedals and do one model for all applications. I actually like the sounds i get from my Zoom however the lack of functionality is forcing my hand into buying a Line 6 product. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, [wolfmanbass] said:

You can load effects and models from the B3n onto the G5n using this:

https://github.com/Barsik-Barbosik/Zoom-Firmware-Editor

you can even mix guitar and bass effects.

Looks like that works with the MS50G and MS60B pedals. I have the G model and it would be handy to have a couple of bass amp models in there too without having to spring for another pedal. Unfortunately it seems to be Windows only :(

As to the G11, the red pedals on black look gopping!

Edited by JapanAxe

On 24/07/2020 at 09:50, [wolfmanbass] said:

As a user of a B3n i was hoping Zoom were going to release a product to compete with the Helix/Pod Go range of products but i think they have missed the mark with this one. The lack of balanced outputs and so far no news of any bass amp/cab models make this a deal breaker for me. They should move away from the idea of having separate guitar and bass versions of pedals and do one model for all applications. I actually like the sounds i get from my Zoom however the lack of functionality is forcing my hand into buying a Line 6 product. 

I've seen videos of the G11 with bass amps from the B3n (SVT and Aguilar).

https://youtu.be/NZY9K3ZyKzk?t=90

As the G11 is having difficulty getting much interest (for a number of good reasons), it remains to be seen exactly how far Zoom will go in representing bass amps, cabs, drives, and other stuff in the G11.  At least if they went the whole way in supporting bass, it might help some guitarist/bassists feel more comfortable with the G11. I might be interested, but for the same reason I didn't seek a Helix, Fractal AX8 or FX8, and some other larger multi-fx pedals, I just don't want to carry a single pedal that large. The G5n is about the max footprint.

I am one of those people who actually really like most of the modeled modulation, delay and reverb effects that the Zoom products offers, the distortion and amp modeling not so much, and I own a Zoom G1Xon and a MS CDR70 multi effect myself, and have owned the B3, which I kind of regret letting go of, and I'll probably end up buying the newer B1X Four, with allegedly better and more advanced modeling quality of it's effects, though, a bit disappointing, having much lesser twekability than the old effects, in terms of available adjustable parameters and fine tuning of the effect models.

In fact prefer i prefer the Zoom effect to the ones featured in the more expensive similar Boss products.

They certainly came an amazingly long way since the awful sounding digital multi effects they made around the 90's, that definitely didn't hold up to Boss quality..

But yeah, if I am getting one of the higher quality modeling units I know for sure it isn't going to be the that spanking new G11 monstrum, quite disappointed in fact.

I'd rather pay slightly more and get at least as high modeling quality, but with improved tweakability, at least in terms of number of parameters it'll allow you to adjust to fine tune the effects, and much more advanced and expanded routing capabilities ,and get the Line 6 Helix Effect nit instead, and that without having to really pay that noticeable more.

Especially because I plan soon to get a preamp that should handle all my amp modeling and cab IR simulations needs, since I won't ever really be needing to be able to swap between 10 or more amps and cabs on the fly at any point, but just need one basic great tone in a box, and then have the rest of my needs for different tone flavors come from my effects and how I chose to route those.  

I'd even honestly would prefer the new Line 6 POD GO over the Zoom G11, which as far as I can see is both quite similarly priced and quite similar as far as features goes.

If the Zoom G11 had been able to compete with the Line 6 Helix products in functionality, but with a price tag similar to the POD GO I'd definitely still be very interested, but as it is now the POD GO just seems like the better alternative for something with similar functionality and similar price, or by just paying slightly more get the advanced functionality of the Helix line with the Helix Stomp, even if admittedly that would be at the price of less on the fly ability to control the unit, and sadly for Zoom I believe that is what most people in need for something like that is also going to think.

I don't foresee the G11 it to have much of a chance on the market honestly.

Sadly, cause I liked the idea of Zoom offering similar great quality and functionality, but for less the price than their competitors, as they have pretty much manged up until now, starting from their B/G3/5(X) and B/G1(X)on line of multi effects.

The G11 though I just can't see offering anything that makes it an attractive alternative to similar products on the market with a much similar price tag, perhaps even on the contrary, all except perhaps for it's, admittedly seemingly relatively superior (for anything just remotely near it's price tag at least), on the fly knob adjustments/foot controlled features capabilities.  

If they had made it cross compatible with the effects of their older products, made it possible to, via a software editor, download and store whichever effects from Zoom back catalog of digital multi effect pedals, bass as well as guitar focused (at least from all their multi stomp boxes and the newer B/G(X)3/5n and B/G1(X) Four, mulri effects), plus offering a bunch of constantly updated all new improved effect and amp models, and those being just as tweakability as the effects in their multi stomp box series typically are in terms of adjustable parameters, perhaps then even being able to take a small fee for that service, and it having the same advanced routing options as you get with the Line 6 Helix products, but still had been able to keep it at the same kind of price tag as it got now, then I have no doubt it would had a huge potential to become a huge success, I know at least that I wouldn't had any second thoughts about choosing that over any other multi effect on the market.

But what do I know, perhaps that would have made it impossible for Zoom to actually earn anything noteworthy on the units, but on the other hand if that is in fact not the case, then I have no doubt they should have taken the risk involved, maybe earning a bit less on each unit, but on the other hand having a real and, I believe, even big chance to potentially making it the dominating multi effect on the whole market, all for except in the relatively small niche of really high end digital multi effects, instead of, as I see it, now having something with very little to offer as an alternative over similar products, with a similar price, and a similar quality, made by other digital multi effect companies with generally better reputation for quality, and, as I see it, something that has a big potential for becoming a huge gigantic flop.

As it is now all I can see it really has to offer over it's competitors is just it's, as I mentioned previously, admittedly seemingly relatively superior (for anything just remotely near it's price tag at least), on the fly knob adjustments/foot controlled features capabilities.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

@Baloney Balderdash

Just wanted to say what an excellent post that is. 

I share your sentiments where the Zoom multi effects are concerned. I wonder if some people might dismiss the quality of the sounds because of the plastic boxes in which they reside? I don't know of course, but often plastic is mentioned in negative reviews. 

I too wonder if I should have sold my B3, but I think the B1 Four and MS-60B are probably OK for my needs. 

I never once considered Line 6 or the other high priced units, ironically, until the G11 came along. There seems a hole in the market between the £100 - £150 multi effects and the £400 and above. 

Zoom make really good usable effects and the budget end will still win for light, affordable, small footprint applications. 

But Line 6 is winning just about every where else. 

• Like 1

Ive got a B3n, B1-on, B1-Four and a 60B (dotn use any of them lol). None are as clean or solid sounding as my Helix Stomp. Even using the BDDI sim on each. Ive tried it.

With headphones on (my usual way of practicing), i can hear a lower quality with the Zoom boxes. A bit more noise, a bit less depth and openness. 

In a band situation though, i would never notice, and wouldn’t hesitate to use the B3n or B1-Four if i had to. The band covers a lot of impurities. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

I still love my zoom B9.1, I just can’t find any reason I’d need to upgrade till it breaks. 

I loved my B9.1. I let mine go when the B3 came out and as much as I love my B3, the B9.1 was the best multi fx pedal I have ever used, in terms of programability  (especially on the fly) and for live use. The size of it was a bit of a drawback, as at the time, I was playing mainly small pubs and clubs, so with the band all squashed together, it wasn't unusual to have a foreign foot stomping on a pedal mid song. If it wasn't for that , I probably still be using mine to this day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rushbo said:

I loved my B9.1. I let mine go when the B3 came out and as much as I love my B3, the B9.1 was the best multi fx pedal I have ever used, in terms of programability  (especially on the fly) and for live use. The size of it was a bit of a drawback, as at the time, I was playing mainly small pubs and clubs, so with the band all squashed together, it wasn't unusual to have a foreign foot stomping on a pedal mid song. If it wasn't for that , I probably still be using mine to this day. 

I've had a similar path. The b9.1 was brilliant! but, just way too big so i built up a mini pedal board to do the same job that i needed it for. I've since went through an ms60b, b3 and now with a b3n. Been happy with them all. 

I must admit, i think the b3n has nailed it when it comes to functionality. I really can't see the need for touch screens or even a large lcd.  Maybe on the more luxurious models like the helix it makes sense, you're paying money for a premium product. but, for the zoom level product, id rather the money go into durability and sound. 

That finish looks naff too

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Not much talk about this. Anybody here has one? 

I just found a slightly used G11 at a price I couldn’t resist. What helped me make the decision, apart from the price, was the fact it already has some bass effects, and I think it is reasonable to expect Zoom will continue offering updates, considering they’ve been doing so for a few generations of multi-fx. With the new G6 coming, things may get interesting.

The G11 bass-specific fx are:

- BassGEQ

- Bass DRV

- Dark Pre

- AMPG SVT 

- AG 750

- SVT8x10

- AG4x10TW

So, not a lot of them. Still, many Filter, Drive, Modulation and Pedal FX have Mix, Bal, DryMix or Blend parameters, which make those effects potentially useful for bass. I also have a B3n and G3n (plus MS-100BT, MS-70CDR, MS-50G) to make comparisons. 

I could post some of my findings if there is any interest, after having some time to actually play the thing.

• Like 1