Why become a member? ×

Wiring 2 pickups to 2 P bass harnesses

glassmoon

Greetings all, 

So, I'm looking to ditch the active eq on my Yamaha, and attach 2 P bass harnesses (cheap as old chips Amazon things. 1 volume and 1 tone per pickup. 

My only issue now is that I'm an electronics noob, and although I have a mate who will do the solder work for me  I'm not 100% certain how to wire it all. I'm pretty sure it's not as cut and dried as just pairing the same coloured wires up.

Does anyone, perchance, have a wiring diagram or detailed description of how to do this? 

Many thanks in advance my low end brethren  

So my thing is that I'm kinda done with active electronics, at least as far as on board eq goes. Also, I have replaced the stock Yamaha pickups with Bartolini G6 Vintage ones, and they absolutely sing. 

So what I want is the 2 volume, 2 tone setup. Make sense? 

20 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

So my thing is that I'm kinda done with active electronics, at least as far as on board eq goes. Also, I have replaced the stock Yamaha pickups with Bartolini G6 Vintage ones, and they absolutely sing. 

Absolute sense but having spent decent money on the pickups it doesn't make sense to out "cheap as chips" pots in.

If you want a ready built loom, speak to John, kI0gon, who will sort you out. Failing that I might have a diagram for VVTT. 

2 hours ago, glassmoon said:

Yup, I understand you want 2x Tone and 2x Volume. I'm struggling to understand why two tone knobs for each P pickup? Because both P pickups will sound very similar, so changing tone on one won't alter the overall sound any different than if you have one tone pot, controlling both pickups.

OK, perhaps I wasn't too clear. Not 2 P pickups, but 2 Bartolini G6 Vintage units. The P bass reference comes from the V/T configuration, which I'm after for each pickup. 

The logic, flawed though it well may be, is to be able to have a very "dark" neck and "bright" bridge sound - or vise versa, or any combination thereof. 

The included diagram however, looks to be a possibility - no tone though, which is OK 

Jazz Bass wiring - 2 pickups, 2 volume pots, no tone pot.jpg

3 hours ago, glassmoon said:

The logic, flawed though it well may be, is to be able to have a very "dark" neck and "bright" bridge sound - or vise versa, or any combination thereof. 

The logic is fine, in practice it makes very little difference having discrete tone controls, and you're probably better off with a Jazz Bass harness, one less thing to go wrong :)