Why become a member? ×

Vintage Jap Epiphone

tredders

Having a bit of a clear out, and came across an old early 70's Japanese Epiphone bass. It's identical to this one: -

[url="http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1513247"]http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetai...px?Item=1513247[/url]

Just plugged it in, and it works perfectly. I lent it to my 13 year old nephew, who was learning the bass, and got it back a year later with significantly more dinks and chips than it had when I lent it to him (the little sh1t). If I was a salesman, I'd call these chips "mojo" and charge double :)

The majority of the dinks are on the top and bottom edge (thru to the bare wood on the bottom in a patch about the size of a 10p), however the neck is nice & straight, and it had a cool plummy Epiphone bass tone. It's shorter scale than my Fenders, and plays well.

Here's the deal - I've met some cool people through Basschat (and before that Bassworld) over the last 12 months, and it's reignited my passion for bass playing. I figure it's time to put a little something back. Therefore, all proceeds from the sale of this will go straight to Basschat as a donation - I'll just cover the cost of courier-ing it to whoever wants it. If you're local to Leamington / Warwick / Banbury, we can probably meet up and save the postage.

Not sure how this should work - maybe I'll leave this on here until (say) 8pm on Wednesday this week (8th), and the highest bidder takes it. How does that sound?

Cheers

Mark.

Weird - you don't see one for ages and then two turn up at once.

It's an ET-280, made in the Matsumoko factory. I snapped one up from Jimbartlett very recently, and I'm loving it. Definately a steal at £100 - get those bids in people!

Thanks for the info, Musky - I've wondered for a while about the history of it.

£100 is the top bid so far (cheers Shaggy) - I'll call it a day at 8pm tomorrow (Wed) evening.

Who's the best person for me to contact re: donating the money?

Ta

Mark.

Thats such a kind offer Mark! If you'd like to drop a line to Ped, he'll be able to assist you. I am sure everyone will join in when I give you a jolly good t'interweb pat on the back! Good on ya!

hehe - you're a bad man, tayste!

Winning bid was £100.01, I believe. Email me you details ([email protected]), and we'll sort it out. You're not anywhere near Warwick or the surrounding area are you? I don't have a case or bag for it, so would prefer a meet up if at all possible.

Mark.

Nice one - I can get to Redditch in 20 - 30 mins, so we should be able to work something out.

Once you've got it, can you do the 'donate' thing for £100.01 on here -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1708"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1708[/url]

Then everyone's happy! You get a new (old) bass, the mods get a few bob towards the running costs of the site, and I get less ear ache from the wife for having too many basses lying around. All together now "Why have you got so many? You can only play one at a time....."

Cheers

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' post='43267' date='Aug 9 2007, 01:54 PM']I get less ear ache from the wife for having too many basses lying around. All together now "Why have you got so many? You can only play one at a time....."[/quote]

Only I get said ear ache in stereo from my Mum and my G/F ................... what could you possibly need 7 basses for.

:)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='43272' date='Aug 9 2007, 02:00 PM']Only I get said ear ache in stereo from my Mum and my G/F ................... what could you possibly need 7 basses for.

:huh:[/quote]

Actually, they have a point.... what the hell *do* you need 7 basses for? :)

Mark.

[quote name='tredders' post='43277' date='Aug 9 2007, 02:10 PM']Actually, they have a point.... what the hell *do* you need 7 basses for? :)

Mark.[/quote]

1 per woman to beat them to death with for moaning at me about this(2)
1's a Ric so doesn't count :huh:
2 in standard tuning for studio work
2 dropped a tone for live work.

Edited by tayste_2000

Just wanted everyone to know that Tayste has offered to donate £120 for the bass. He's obviously feeling guilty about sniping the winning bid with an extra penny :)

Anyway, good man for chucking an extra £20 in - donation will be made to Basschat as soon as we arrange to meet up and hand the bass over.

Mark.