Why become a member? ×

DR Hi-Beam string slips from G tuner?!

BassAgent

So I have changed hundreds of sets of strings over the last 20 years but this has never ever happened to me before. I was in the process of changing the strings on my '66 Jazz and everything works as usual but the G-string keeps slipping from the tuner. I've used these strings on this bass before and tried every trick I know but it just keeps slipping. It's impossible to tune the G-string. Is there a trick I've missed? I know the making of a 90 degree angle, I know about winding it differently... Really, really weird and really, really frustrating.

Do you anchor it in the tuner? As in putting the string down the hole, then sharply bend it? That alone is enough to keep most strings in place, even without a full turn winding (I sometimes have cut the string too short by mistake and found it was stable).

Do you have a picture?

Been using DR strings mostly for a decade now, Fat Beams, Hi Beams and recently Sunbeams and Pure Blues, and never had an issue like that. It's intriguing and I would first think of a string being incorrectly fitted... but you don't sound inexperienced so I don't know. A picture would be useful.

Any chance the string core broke and it's being held by the outer windings only?

Instead of winding the string in a neat downward spiral, if you run the first wind on top of the anchor point and then cross it over and continue down on the next wind that should help to lock it in place.

Edited by ikay

19 hours ago, BassAgent said:

I did anchor it in the tuner. The core wasn't broken as far as I can see. I've owned dozens of DR sets and this is the first time this has ever happened.

That's strange indeed. 

One thing that might help anchoring is putting the string back through the slot after a half turn. I do that with guitar strings, especially the plain ones. It should help with the thicker bass strings too although I never thought it would be necessary.

Just to be sure: the string is losing its anchor then, it's not about the windings being a bit loose and settling in etc, right? It's the actual anchor being loose and the strings ends up being detached?

• 2 weeks later...