Why become a member? ×

Warwick 5-string ball end retention problem (low B) - anyone else?

basexperience

Hi all,

I've got a 5-string streamer fretless which I love for the combination of warwick mid-growl and fretless - but it's got one problem: I moved to D'addario XLs a while back, love the strings on the other 5-strings I've got - but the tailpiece of the bridge won't hold the low B in the string retention slot - the way the windings are tied off means the ball won't slot in.

Anyone else have this problem? Did you find a solution? If it's just "find a different string", then that's OK too... it's just that I didn't want to use Warwick strings on it any more...

Cheers!

Andy W

Warwick low B strings are made with tapered windings at the ball end for this very reason. There are other makes of string that use tapered windings.

Also just because one type of string works on one bass doesn't mean it will work on others too. IME you have to find the right strings for each individual bass. Using with something that works elsewhere is a good starting point, but you should be prepared to try alternatives if it doesn't work out for you.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2020 at 09:46, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

I had the same issue with my 93 thumb BO5.  I was using a non Warwick 135 B string and I started filing the slot a bit and it solved the problem. Anyway I bought the newer version of the tailpiece because I wanted black hardware. The new version solved the problem. 

Aha - thanks for this: I’ll check and see if I can get hold of a new gold tailpiece for the fretless... in the long run it’ll be cheaper than buying single 135s with tapered ball ends, I reckon. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 09:25, basexperience said:

Aha - thanks for this: I’ll check and see if I can get hold of a new gold tailpiece for the fretless... in the long run it’ll be cheaper than buying single 135s with tapered ball ends, I reckon. 

I have a spare 5 string black tailpiece which I had filed to widen the B string slot to overcome this issue. I know you have gold hardware but if you want a cheap fix, you can have this tail piece for a tenner inc post.

I know use Warwick Red Label strings instead of D'addarios so I don't have this issue any more.