Why become a member? ×

Facebook Marketplace v BC v eBay

lownote

31 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@paul_c2 without meaning to be rude, is it you doing something that is causing these blowouts?? Or possibly a common theme like using the same plug socket that's dodgy?

I have my own theory, no idea if its right (or how you could possibly prove it) but I think its because the equipment gets transported frequently, as in >3 times a week. So its always doing about 20 miles per rehearsal, giggled around in the car. 

4 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Also I've just realised,  I will never be able to sell an amplifier on BC!

Certainly wouldn't be me buying one :laugh1:

Seriously tho some of those amps are designed to be carted around for smaller gigs or rehearsals so i'm still a bit surprised by the Fender Rumble 100 and the Orange and Hartke gear failures.

Unless you're driving them at full volume but you'd hear speakers crackling or distortion before it finally gave up the ghost and burst into flames. Usually they just stop working if over-driven, not usually a fire risk tho.

Did they tell you what caused the problems or just simply refund or replace ?

I'd def want to know more to let me remedy the situation

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

I cart my giant planet of an amp around at least once every week if not twice and have never had those problems. Have been doing so for 16 years! Albeit with a different rig probably every year or so. Most amps are designed to be moved around. 

I always secure my rig so it moves as little in transit as possible and am very aware of my braking and driving while my gear is in the car. Really never had any issues! Maybe there is some other common factor at play? 

Maybe your evil second personality sabotages your amps!

'i prefer Ebay, the market is so much bigger, as others have said wait for £1 selling fees, I opt for a buy it now with offers, you can set what offer gets forwarded to you, I recently sold an Ashdown 500 ABM EVO III for £200, the asking BIN price after Ebay had turned down various bids of £150 to £170 on my behalf, I don't think I'd have got that price anywhere else.

I don't like Basschat for 2 reasons, the £7 upfront charge whether you sell or not and I don't like selling to people I know and I feel I've got to know quite a few on here,  not personally, but well enough not to want to sell them anything, if that makes sense.

Just now, PaulWarning said:

'i prefer Ebay, the market is so much bigger, as others have said wait for £1 selling fees, I opt for a buy it now with offers, you can set what offer gets forwarded to you, I recently sold an Ashdown 500 ABM EVO III for £200, the asking BIN price after Ebay had turned down various bids of £150 to £170 on my behalf, I don't think I'd have got that price anywhere else.

I don't like Basschat for 2 reasons, the £7 upfront charge whether you sell or not and I don't like selling to people I know and I feel I've got to know quite a few on here,  not personally, but well enough not to want to sell them anything, if that makes sense.

Don't you think the £20 fee is reasonable if you think of how it supports the site too? I try to communicate that to members but it doesn't always make a difference.

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, ped said:

Don't you think the £20 fee is reasonable if you think of how it supports the site too? I try to communicate that to members but it doesn't always make a difference.

I'm happy with the £20. Its worth it for me cause i'm on the site every day and i get a lot of enjoyment from it..........most of the time :lol:

Dave

• Like 4

£20 for a year is quite fair. At the rate eBay/PayPal charge you only need to sell one thing on Basschat for £143 or above and you're better off! Assuming you don't wait for the £1 eBay fees. Also, selling bits and pieces where you ask £50 or less is free, great for the little bits! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ped said:

you are right of course, but you could take adverts like most other sites, I wouldn't mind if they weren't too intrusive, trouble is like free music in pubs, we've got used to forums being free

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

Just to be clear i'm not trying to call anyone out - just wondering if there's a better way to 'frame' the fee so that it is seen also as a payment to help the site, not just to gain access to the Marketplatz. Without spamming people with needy emails.

Just now, PaulWarning said:

you are right of course, but you could take adverts like most other sites, I wouldn't mind if they weren't too intrusive, trouble is like free like music in pubs, we've got used to forums being free

No adverts for me. Its ruining FB for me. I'm fed up reporting them. I was getting adverts every 2nd post on FB. Almost at the point of packing it in. If adverts happen on here i'll be out.

Dave

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

you are right of course, but you could take adverts like most other sites, I wouldn't mind if they weren't too intrusive, trouble is like free music in pubs, we've got used to forums being free

Thanks yes we do have some ads but definitely don't want to add any more. I'm even toying with removing them completely. But for that to happen we might have to introduce a banner about paying to support which disappears when you have paid, or something. But then I see a squirrel.

2 minutes ago, ped said:

Just to be clear i'm not trying to call anyone out - just wondering if there's a better way to 'frame' the fee so that it is seen also as a payment to help the site, not just to gain access to the Marketplatz. Without spamming people with needy emails.

Would a membership pack every year be a way to go. No idea how or what you would include in that tho.

Of course many use BC as a social experience and maybe never sell or buy anything on the marketplace so its a hard call on how best to fund the site.

Dave

• Like 1

BC is a fantastic place to buy gear, it can be a slightly less than fantastic place to sell it at times, but for me the opportunity to trade gear among trusted forum members is a unique feature and in my experience often leaves both parties to the good compared to eBay etc. I don't think people use the feedback forum enough here - that is you occasionally pick up news about a deal gone bad but nothing in the respective seller's feedback thread suggests this - and I find feedback here so unreliable - i.e., a complete positive bias - that if I'm thinking of buying from someone and if I don't already know their rep I generally check out what type of person they are from their posts. If they haven't posted much, I've learned to stay clear, as the one down side here is that if there is a wombler - unlike eBay - there's nothing direct you can do about it (and in this context, don't be fooled into the idea that PayPal always support the buyer, they don't, especially if the seller is an out and out liar and practiced at ripping people off). Having said this, one of the most positive experiences I've ever had buying and selling was when I was screwed by a guy in BC who sold me an amp that had clearly previously caught fire, and more than one member PM'd me suggesting that if I was left out of pocket they'd gladly chip in to help me out. You don't get that on eBay. 

• Like 2

Thanks folks. My original thinking was that I wanted to have a community where everyone felt welcome, without a 'rank' structure like you find on Talkbass with tiered membership. The concept being that more members = a better marketplace, which is fee paying to use. The more members use the forum (for free) = bigger audience + more people paying to list. 

I say all this but in actual fact the whole model has been incredibly stable and fruitful since it began so I don't necessarily see any need to change things hugely, but always interested in opinions. I still feel, hand on heart, that the marketplace here has unique benefits worthy of a tightly knit community for a reasonable fee which increases the quality of listings and members posting to a degree making it 'safer' than other, free sites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ped said:

I still feel, hand on heart, that the marketplace here has unique benefits worthy of a tightly knit community for a reasonable fee which increases the quality of listings and members posting to a degree making it 'safer' than other, free sites.

Absolutely

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

Supporting member ? Says what it is, and members have benefits 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Supporting member ? Says what it is, and members have benefits 

Yes and there is software support for that however I’m not sure it would be able to recognise current ‘£20 subbers’ or not. Will investigate. 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

No adverts for me. Its ruining FB for me. I'm fed up reporting them. I was getting adverts every 2nd post on FB. Almost at the point of packing it in. If adverts happen on here i'll be out.

Dave

Good God, no not like FB I've nearly stopped using it because of the repetitive ads in my news feed, if it wasn't for the band I wouldn't bother

• Thanks 1