Why become a member? ×

The 'Talkbass web server issues' thread

donkelley

5 minutes ago, mcnach said:

The thing with the British is that you have two polar opposite stereotypes which have their element of truth even if exaggerated (as stereotypes usually are). On the one hand you have the polite, responsible and thoroughly nice and helpful type, and on the other you've got the hooligan type. Every country have all sorts of people, of course, but I think this duality is very... British. That's my personal impression, as a non-Brit who's lived in various countries. Not that it means much, as it's a very broad generalisation.

Surely the Scots have their own category?!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Surely the Scots have their own category?!

(looks around... waits for a moment when nobody is listening, just in case... but then remembers he's not in Glasgow so it's probably safe ;) )

Scots are both stereotypes at the same time. Especially if drinking Buckfast.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, alaskaleftybass said:

A couple points of interest. First Talkbass is still down. Second, my image of well-mannered Brits has been blasted to smithereens. But then again, I should have known better--home of the Sex Pistols and all. Also I detect a lot of passive aggressive energy in this thread. Is it to me or Americans in general? A simple 'go home Yankee" will suffice... 

Local customs usually prevail. I am a dual US-UK citizen. When I engage with my fellow Americans, I try to respect the fact that Americans (a) overwhelmingly still pay lip service at the minimum to the monumental achievements of the Constitution, and (b) an awful lot of my fellow Americans have no real grasp of it but like an argument. Marketplace of ideas, and sometimes it gets ugly.

When I engage with my fellow Britons, I try to respect the fact that (a) Britain has a long history of dealing with intractable systemic flaws by exhausting every comic possibility they offer, and (b) as long as a Briton is willing to engage at all, it most likely happens in good faith. One the whole, and leaving aside the very real and nasty strains of violence and hatred that are part of the human condition, Britons tease those they love and ignore those they do not. Being mocked is far, far better in the UK than being shunned. Mockery is familiarity but not necessarily contempt.

I have always encountered much more good humour than mean spirits in both countries. And I'm a genuinely pessimistic misanthrope, so that's saying a lot.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Bobo_08 said:

I understand the cause is the server provider Gorilla Servers had a fire, the EEVBlog has also been affected by this too. 

I watched his youtube video earlier. That was a long video to regurgitate the same as what the hosting company put out!

13 minutes ago, Pseudonym said:

Britons tease those they love

When an Englishman greets you with a cheery 'Hello, you fat bastard' you know you've a friend for life.

I tested this theory (almost) to destruction when one Christmas our office did the 'Secret Santa' thing. I drew a colleague who had recently discovered his house was under threat of compulsory purchase for a road-widening scheme so I bought him a small Corgi toy bulldozer.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 13

5 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

When an Englishman greets you with a cheery 'Hello, you fat bastard' you know you've a friend for life.

I tested this theory (almost) to destruction when one Christmas our office did the 'Secret Santa' thing. I drew a colleague who had recently discovered his house was under threat of compulsory purchase for a road-widening scheme so I bought him a small Corgi toy bulldozer.

You rotter, you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Class.

Assuming this was after the first broadcast of Hitch-hikers, a dressing gown and towel would have been appropriate accompaniments. Provided the budget covered it, of course...

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

To our American friends. Buckfast is banned in the US. Apparently mixing large amounts of caffeine with wine is not good for keeping the peace.

So are Kinder Eggs, apparently.

Savages.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Good news....!

Cue the dormant BC accounts.

Nah, we have seduced them with our British charm and the promised supply of tea and biscuits (although biscuits means something scone like in the US, IIRC).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Nah, we have seduced them with our British charm and the promised supply of tea and biscuits (although biscuits means something scone like in the US, IIRC).

I think I whizzed them off with a pic and a posting of Stephen Fry.

Awkward.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Hopefully the recent new members will stick around for some bass chat , or drop in now and again for a cup of tea 👍

Well, they know where we are now and the kettle’s always on so there’s no excuse not to come and visit form time to time.

Mind you, according to my Nan, last time they was here they brought nylons and chocolates. 

Not so free with the giveaways this time, was they?

• Haha 2