Why become a member? ×

The 'Talkbass web server issues' thread

donkelley

Just now, funkydoug said:

Thanks for the welcoming TB post @Ped.

I'd add that compared to BC, Talkbass is a more global community ... so I'd also extend the welcome beyond "our American counterparts" to all bassists in need of shelter!

We're not very good at being friends with Europe, it would seem.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, ped said:

Personally I wish the TB team all the best and will help them if I can. Must be a nightmare. 

Same here - although I suspect there isn't much they can do, I assume they have been promised by their provider that they are going to get it fixed any time soon, or they would have probably gone elsewhere

57 minutes ago, alaskaleftybass said:

Also I detect a lot of passive aggressive energy in this thread. Is it to me or Americans in general? A simple 'go home Yankee" will suffice... 

There is a lot of that in the UK, but not really any here at the moment, we have a lot of American visitors here, so it isn't an issue. But ultimately coming in and saying 'I am offended at that' is just going to get a quite a few more jokes. Not much is that serious here, unless it is in one of the serious threads. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alaskaleftybass said:

A couple points of interest. First Talkbass is still down. Second, my image of well-mannered Brits has been blasted to smithereens. But then again, I should have known better--home of the Sex Pistols and all. Also I detect a lot of passive aggressive energy in this thread. Is it to me or Americans in general? A simple 'go home Yankee" will suffice... 

We’re nice, but also a lot of us have been locked inside for the most of a year So there’s just a lot of energy of lots of types flowing around! I have a feeling that the British sense of humour would probably get a fair few of us banned from talkbass....

• Like 3

1 minute ago, skankdelvar said:

usa-england-cross-flags-129663947.jpg

Welcome to our TalkBass Pals

I for one am desolated to hear of TalkBass's travails. Were the same to happen to BC (perish the thought) I would be so entirely mortified that I would literally shed body weight until service was resumed.

To which end I echo our glorious leader @ped in extending a welcome to those orphans of the storm, where ere they hail, who wash ashore upon our modest strand, blameless victims of a catastrophic failure beyond their control.

In a very real sense, their plight is BassChat's to assuage, however fleeting may be the acquaintance.

Practical Assistance for Visitors

Feel free to interact with the locals; only a vanishingly small number of them will be comprehensible; just nod and smile.

Suffering from GAS? Why not take something home as a souvenir of your stay? Equipment sales are in the BC Marketplace.

Those who find themselves in a state of tempest-related undress may source clean, pre-loved clothing from the BassChat Quartermaster in the basement, no chit required. 

Fancy a slice of local culture? Get thee to Off Topic (some adjustment may be required)

Those wishing to sample our local cuisine should hie themselves to the Food Court in the west atrium where succulent, traditional delicacies abound. Enjoy!

1733150922_chipspeasandgravy.jpg.605d786c3cfafdc18ab056104aedf496.jpg
Today's Special: Mr Skinnyman's Lincolnshire Delight (£5.99 / $8.23)

Enjoy your stay. Stick around even. There's usually someone around until 8PM ET.

God Save the Queen

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

1733150922_chipspeasandgravy.jpg.605d786c3cfafdc18ab056104aedf496.jpg
Today's Special: Mr Skinnyman's Lincolnshire Delight (£5.99 / $8.23)

Am I only person that is disappointed that proper fish and chips aren't served up in newspaper? I wonder if we can reinstate it now we are out of Europe?

Oh, and to our American counterparts - yes, we do eat food that looks like that it has been consumed previously.

Edited by EBS_freak

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Oh, and to our American counterparts - yes, we do eat food that looks like that it has been consumed previously.

Beats smelling like that, which 'Merkin fast food consumers are all too familiar with.

Edited by Passinwind
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Well mannered Brits is complete rubbish...

I can't even remember the last time someone said 'Excuse me' whilst reaching in front of me to grab something off the shelf in a supermarket.

Also - squeezing through the smallest gap possible because you can't wait five seconds... 

The thing with the British is that you have two polar opposite stereotypes which have their element of truth even if exaggerated (as stereotypes usually are). On the one hand you have the polite, responsible and thoroughly nice and helpful type, and on the other you've got the hooligan type. Every country have all sorts of people, of course, but I think this duality is very... British. That's my personal impression, as a non-Brit who's lived in various countries. Not that it means much, as it's a very broad generalisation.