Why become a member? ×

The 'Talkbass web server issues' thread

donkelley

1 hour ago, 2020Jazz said:

This is from the company 'WebNX' that TB is hosted on.

Might have to rewrite that 100% figure a bit. Quite a bit

1 hour ago, Murphy said:

I forgot "to Hoover" is the English term for to Vacuum! 

Its an english common expression, certainly, not one that I have ever used.

1 hour ago, Murphy said:

Maintenance unplugged the server whilst vacuuming ....Haha.....Just so Americans could understand

The irony is that the only time that happened to me was in the states. Only they didn't umplug it, and it wasn't a vaccum, it was them plugging the floor polisher in the UPS. Every week for a few months until we figured out what was happening.

• Like 1

A couple points of interest. First Talkbass is still down. Second, my image of well-mannered Brits has been blasted to smithereens. But then again, I should have known better--home of the Sex Pistols and all. Also I detect a lot of passive aggressive energy in this thread. Is it to me or Americans in general? A simple 'go home Yankee" will suffice... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, alaskaleftybass said:

A couple points of interest. First Talkbass is still down. Second, my image of well-mannered Brits has been blasted to smithereens. But then again, I should have known better--home of the Sex Pistols and all. Also I detect a lot of passive aggressive energy in this thread. Is it to me or Americans in general? A simple 'go home Yankee" will suffice... 

Not at all, we love Yankees. Apart from that bit in Independence Day where they take the Brit cliche too far. After all, we have that "special relationship" with the USA. (note, Brit sarcasm).

No passive aggressiveness. It's the Brit Banter (I hate that word). There's probably a few things lost in translation - we don't all say "spiffing", "what ho", "good chap", wear three piece suits... and sport a monocle.

Do me a favour though, promise me that you'll never look up Frankie Boyle.

Stick around, you'll pick it up! And once you've imported some British chocolate, you'll realise how far off the mark the US is with their chocolate.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, alaskaleftybass said:

Well mannered Brits is complete rubbish...

I can't even remember the last time someone said 'Excuse me' whilst reaching in front of me to grab something off the shelf in a supermarket.

Also - squeezing through the smallest gap possible because you can't wait five seconds... 

• Like 1

Just now, Supernaut said:

Well mannered Brits is complete rubbish...

I can't even remember the last time someone said 'Excuse me' whilst reaching in front of me to grab something off the shelf in a supermarket.

Also - squeezing through the smallest gap possible because you can't wait five seconds... 

Pretty much.

Just don't mention the toilet rolls.

Just now, EBS_freak said:

I personally think you should open up a new part of the forum.

"Talkbass refugees"

I’ve posted an announcement that’s visible to guests to welcome them and offer tea and cake. Kind of hoped everyone here would be cool about it and not use it as an opportunity to slag off TB. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ped said:

I’ve posted an announcement that’s visible to guests to welcome them and offer tea and cake. Kind of hoped everyone here would be cool about it and not use it as an opportunity to slag off TB. 

You see? All good stuff.

To be honest, there's nothing wrong with Talkbass. It's just the one or two people that reside in it.

Maybe a bit like here? But thats the community.

I haven't visited Talkbass in years personally, I could never get on with the interface. I probably would have been banned by now anyway, for post posting inappropriate pictures.

Just now, EBS_freak said:

I hope you're not on the tube, cos that would be just weird.

Tube rule #1 - head down, no eye contact.

Ex-Londoner and tube (subway for our US chums) user of many years standing.

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Dropped my fkin monocle now

What? Again? Oh last time it was your spectacles wasn't it?

That's how you ended up with the monocle in the first place.

Next time, you'll have to put a chain on it, to match your pocket watch.

Thanks for the welcoming TB post @Ped.

I'd add that compared to BC, Talkbass is a more global community ... so I'd also extend the welcome beyond "our American counterparts" to all bassists in need of shelter!

• Like 2