Why become a member? ×

The 'Talkbass web server issues' thread

donkelley

6 hours ago, alaskaleftybass said:

For the most part I am always impressed with English civility and proper manners. 

It's because we have the Den of Iniquity thread, where civilised, well-mannered types rehearse all manner of martial fantasies with comic brio and a general ethos of trousers-down absurdity. It's all so harmless it makes Sgt. Bilko look like the first ten minutes of Saving Private Ryan. There's no place there for twonks who dress like those idiots at the Capitol without a sense of how ludicrous it looks. Also, there is often cake.

In real life, of course, I'm a crass oaf who cannot string two words together without punching someone out of sheer frustration. I'm 99% sure the other people on the DoI thread are absolute sweethearts, prone though they may be to flogging dead llamas.

Edited by Pseudonym
Digression for recruitment purposes.
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

It's always easy to be wise after an event but "the fire suppression system was powered by the generator in the area of the fire suppression system?" - umm..

Like the Fukushima nuclear power station fiasco. They needed a backup power supply in case their power was taken out by a tsunami, so they put the backup generators at ground level, exactly where the tsunami would get them!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Like the Fukushima nuclear power station fiasco. They needed a backup power supply in case their power was taken out by a tsunami, so they put the backup generators at ground level, exactly where the tsunami would get them!!!

To be fair from the japanese handling of the tsunami, they did have huge sea walls, which sadly sunk due to the earthquake.

Portsmouth flooded in 2000 (I remember it well, it was my wifes birthday), it failed due to the volume of sewage and luckily the backup generators were below sea level. It took a while for them to pump out the pumping station to get down to the top of the generators.

Interesting that Talkbass's server fire issue has followed hard on the heels of this one:

Millions of websites offline after fire at French cloud services firm | Reuters

Even though some of these guys had back up facilities in London, it's taken them a full month to get things up and running again.

Does suggest that there is more vulnerability in the system than server providers are willing to admit.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting that Talkbass's server fire issue has followed hard on the heels of this one:

Millions of websites offline after fire at French cloud services firm | Reuters

Even though some of these guys had back up facilities in London, it's taken them a full month to get things up and running again.

Does suggest that there is more vulnerability in the system than server providers are willing to admit.

If you need data resilience, you have to go multiple data center. No question. Despite what promises are made to you by the hosting companies, you are always running a risk in a single data center. And if your data and uptime is so critical, the service needs to have a tried and tested disaster recovery plan in place.

The people who's services are suffering from this outage, are arguably as much to blame for their own service outage.

Edited by EBS_freak

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

To be fair from the japanese handling of the tsunami, they did have huge sea walls, which sadly sunk due to the earthquake.

They built a wall to protect the plant because earthquakes and tsunamis have occurred before. It wasn't an unusual problem, so being "fair" doesn't come into it.

Someone did their job very badly.

The incompetent decision to site the backup generators in the path of the disaster they were supposed to be protecting from, caused deaths which will be going forwards many years, the poisoning of a lot of land around the plant and now contaminated water is draining into the sea. All because of a culture that can't say "no" to management!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Portsmouth flooded in 2000 (I remember it well, it was my wifes birthday), it failed due to the volume of sewage and luckily the backup generators were below sea level. It took a while for them to pump out the pumping station to get down to the top of the generators.

My very vague understanding of the situation is they had 10m sea walls, but the tsunami reached 11m. And if they had 11m.....it would have been 12m etc. By building them at 10m, they thought they had safeguarded a 1 in 1000 years event or whatever. Its just a shame it occurred a few years after, rather than 999 years after.

Any nuclear plant also relies on an incoming electrical power supply, to do various safety-critical things when its not generating power itself; and the generators are a 3rd power source - in case they lose the external supply too.

9 hours ago, alaskaleftybass said:

Some posted pictures of the moron who stormed U.S. Congress dressed as a Shaman. Five people were murdered that day. There's a sickness in the U.S. and it certainly isn't funny or cute. I am offended by that picture. This is about bass camaraderie, not about the ugly, perverted side of society.

For the most part I am always impressed with English civility and proper manners. 

It's the British habit to mock such people freely; it's not meant as any disrespect to others.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, paul_c2 said:

My very vague understanding of the situation is they had 10m sea walls, but the tsunami reached 11m. And if they had 11m.....it would have been 12m etc.

They had 10M, the tsunami reached 9M where that was, but unfortunately the earthquake caused the land to drop by 2M.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

And if your data and uptime is so critical, the service needs to have a tried and tested disaster recovery plan in place.

Amazing how many organisations take backups and have all sorts of business continuity plans in place and never test them to see if they can actually recover/continue to operate after or throughout a failure.

We used to run across three data centres and every six months would “kill” one of them to make sure that the live systems would seamlessly continue to work. What impressed me most was that we never lost a transaction in flight. 

It cost a lot of money to have that level of resilience. Probably justifiable when you’re handling billions of pounds through the systems every day, not so easy to justify when you’re running a bass forum, vital public service though it undoubtedly is...😁

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They had 10M, the tsunami reached 9M where that was, but unfortunately the earthquake caused the land to drop by 2M.

If you are in the DR business, short of being hit by a comet, there are no excuses or reasons why something didn't work! Especially when what happened was predictable.

Assuming we are hearing accurate reports, bad design/procedures/human error are the same in the Talkbass incident. The water sprinkler system activated? What? In a computer room???

• Haha 2

On 17/01/2020 at 21:52, Mastodon2 said:

A shame, because Talkbass used to be the home of exotic basses. It is super staid these days. 

I play Talkbass bingo. Browse until you've heard all the big hits...

"P with flats"

"Sits in the mix"

"Leo got it right first time"

"Mud and thud"

"Bass should be felt and not heard"

"7.6lbs? That's an ounce too heavy for me, I'm out"

No money above the 5th fret

Carrots

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, robscott said:

The cleaner pulled the plug out to Hoover

I forgot "to Hoover" is the English term for to Vacuum! 

Maintenance unplugged the server whilst vacuuming ....Haha.....Just so Americans could understand

• Like 1

The great thing is that our Talkbass friends now get chance to enjoy the Special Relationship that exists between the two fora - and, for a limited time only, at a specially discounted membership price!

PM me for details of how to pay.... 😁

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Murphy said:

I forgot "to Hoover" is the English term for to Vacuum! 

Maintenance unplugged the server whilst vacuuming ....Haha.....Just so Americans could understand

LOL

The Hoover Company

hoover.com

The Hoover Company is a vacuum cleaner company founded in Ohio in the US. 
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1