Why become a member? ×

The 'Talkbass web server issues' thread

donkelley

I ran disaster recovery or business continuance for several large firms. We had to be restored to the last backup point and back up and running within 12 hours of any data centre failure. That service probably cost many times more than TB's budget.

I wonder why the "servers suffered from water damage"?  Why was the fire service spraying water into a computer room? CO2 is always the only fire retardant allowed in data centres!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I wonder why the "servers suffered from water damage"?  Why was the fire service spraying water into a computer room? CO2 is always the only fire retardant allowed in data centres!

It was one of those underwater data centers... and somebody made the mistake of opening Windows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Mentioning Talkbass is a bit like saying 'the game' to anyone...you forget it's a thing until someone mentions it.

I can't remember the last time I logged in or even looked at the site. I don't like the interface at all. It's so big and busy that threads almost instantly end up on page 2084 because of replies to other threads. It's just too big and a bit clunky.

It seems to be taking longer to get up and running than my old laptop is to install the latest Windows updates.

We are so sorry for the massive outage we are experiencing. The datacenter where we are hosted suffered a catastrophic power outage. A routine load test of a generator caused a fire, fire suppression systems, and the fire department cutting power to the complex.
We are awaiting word on whether our servers are affected by water damage and at that time will determine whether to spin up new servers at a different location, and restore from backups.
Again we are so sorry for the outage. Rest assured we do have automatic offsite backups and will do all we can to get back online with the shortest disruption possible
🙁
Paul
125 Comments
5 Shares

Comment

125 Comments

Most Relevant

Active

Write a comment…

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Wow! I wondered what was up. The fire suppression in most datacenters isn't water...it's usually a gas that binds with oxygen to starve the fire and it won't hurt electronics.
    But a generator fire is very rare. In over 30 years of being in the IT biz I've never heard of that happening. Crazy!!

•  · 
    •  · 3h

Most Relevant is selected, so some replies may have been filtered out.
    •  

CO2 to be exact. Every well trained fireman knows water should NEVER be used on electrical installations. In fact in the data centers where I worked they all had automatic CO2 installations for protection.

•  · 
      •  · 2h
      •  

I'm so old school...I've run out of a room when the Halon went off....holding my breath as I ran!

•  · 
        •  · 2h
      •  

Indeed halon was also used. I've got 40 years under my belt, and yes some of these data centers had oxygen masks in cupboards for use when the gas went off. What surprises me is that the fire department didn't know this was a datacenter? They usually have access to the city's building registry to avoid this sort of thing. Although some tier-1 or 2 internet access data centers are not publicly known as such, they are within the right authorities and usually have their own sophisticated fire suppression installations. Strange....

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

Mentioning Talkbass is a bit like saying 'the game' to anyone...you forget it's a thing until someone mentions it.

I read TB a lot, there's a lot of expertise there as there is here, and the US bias there around gear/music can balance the at times UK/Euro bias here. The two sites complement each other rather well :)

• Like 8

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

I ran disaster recovery or business continuance for several large firms. We had to be restored to the last backup point and back up and running within 12 hours of any data centre failure. That service probably cost many times more than TB's budget.

Having seen US firefighters in action, while a lot of them are well trained and competent..............not all are. I can believe they might go in gung-ho and spray water everywhere. 

To be fair, if there are flames everywhere, wondering whether or not there is a server room to consider, doesn’t enter the thinking, especially as using a gaseous retardant externally is an exercise in futility. If the building that contains the server room is on fire, it’s going to cook eventually.

• Like 2

First up, hoping no one (and no bass guitars !)... We're hurt in the fire.

In case anyone is as boring as me ... the co2 in fire extinguishers doesn't bind to the oxygen as was implied above. It works as a fire extinguisher because it is heavier than the oxygen, so it pushes the oxygen up and away from the fuel as it descends onto the fuel. It also blows the oxygen away by sheer force of the propulsion. That distance between fuel and oxygen starves the fire.  It is basically a gaseous blanket.

Edited by funkydoug
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One of our old generators that have worked for years and was recently load tested had a mechanical failure and caught fire resulting in power being cut to our core routers and fire suppression system controlling the fire. 

It's always easy to be wise after an event but "the fire suppression system was powered by the generator in the area of the fire suppression system?" - umm..

41 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

It's always easy to be wise after an event but "the fire suppression system was powered by the generator in the area of the fire suppression system?" - umm..

I think what happened, from other reports,  was that there was a massive power spike which caused the backup generator, which provides power to the core routers and the fire suppression system, to kick in. The backup generator then failed, causing the fire suppression system to activate itself and spray water into the data centre. It's like a rail brake which is powered off and fails on: the fire suppression system will activate if it loses permanent and temporary power.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I think what happened, from other reports,  was that there was a massive power spike which caused the backup generator, which provides power to the core routers and the fire suppression system, to kick in. The backup generator then failed, causing the fire suppression system to activate itself and spray water into the data centre. It's like a rail brake which is powered off and fails on: the fire suppression system will activate if it loses permanent and temporary power.

Ah, gotcha. Well, that makes for a bad monday at work then doesn't it?

I mean, on the grand scheme of things, it's not like powering your Nuclear reactor down too low, bringing the power up too fast, it going critical and destroying all your boron rods, but it probably feels like it in your own space.

Edited by Woodinblack

Some posted pictures of the moron who stormed U.S. Congress dressed as a Shaman. Five people were murdered that day. There's a sickness in the U.S. and it certainly isn't funny or cute. I am offended by that picture. This is about bass camaraderie, not about the ugly, perverted side of society.

For the most part I am always impressed with English civility and proper manners. 

Edited by alaskaleftybass
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, 2020Jazz said:

Here's what their web host said. So talkbass just parrotted it.

https://webnx.com/ogden-datacenter-issue/

I disbelieve the water story. Hogwash.

Hogwash indeed. It was Bill Gates' microchips distributed in the vaccines finally being activated through 5G. I could tell you how I know but I closed the YouTube tab and I can't find it again. It's probably been taken down by our overlords.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Beedster said:

I read TB a lot, there's a lot of expertise there as there is here, and the US bias there around gear/music can balance the at times UK/Euro bias here. The two sites complement each other rather well :)

Me too; it's a fantastic resource and I'm missing it.