Why become a member? ×

N.C.D. Genzler Bass Array home...

bassmayhem

I got my two Genzler Bass Array 12-3 SLT today, and I am very pleased. They are as good as I expected.
The line array works well up to "cable distance". Very good horisontal dispersion, and rather "homogene volume" as long as my cable stretches.
I used to own a Bose L1 model " with two subs once; these cabs act a bit the same but sound oh, so much nicer.

49398839683_497f557516_o.jpg

I did a serious garage sale around new year to get these. No looking back!

• Like 4

I love these as a design, you don't really need really the high frequencies from a small horn driver so the 3" drive units promise more of the mids you do need and the possibility of a lower crossover point. Then the line source offers a broad flat radiation pattern from the speakers, ideal as everyone in the audience gets to hear  pretty much the same tone but you cut out some of the reflections off the ceilings. 

I've not heard these speakers yet, they don't seem very widely used but if they've got the implementation right they ought to sound great, review please when you've had a decent time to get to know them.

7 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

I love these as a design, you don't really need really the high frequencies from a small horn driver so the 3" drive units promise more of the mids you do need and the possibility of a lower crossover point. Then the line source offers a broad flat radiation pattern from the speakers, ideal as everyone in the audience gets to hear  pretty much the same tone but you cut out some of the reflections off the ceilings. 

I've not heard these speakers yet, they don't seem very widely used but if they've got the implementation right they ought to sound great, review please when you've had a decent time to get to know them.

I agree with what you say and I do recall thinking that the sound did seem to be clear when sitting off at an angle as seen in this video. Whether or not that was entirely to do with the line array alone OR that we were also using a 10" driver loaded cabinet too, well, I couldn't compare against a standard cabinet at the time, but I do rate this cabinet design. Interestingly, EA's NL112 has vertically arranged HF drivers and also happened to be a great sounding cabinet too.

• Like 1

Just now, Dood said:

I agree with what you say and I do recall thinking that the sound did seem to be clear when sitting off at an angle as seen in this video. Whether or not that was entirely to do with the line array alone OR that we were also using a 10" driver loaded cabinet too, well, I couldn't compare against a standard cabinet at the time, but I do rate this cabinet design. Interestingly, EA's NL112 has vertically arranged HF drivers and also happened to be a great sounding cabinet too.

P.S, I also loved the Hartke 4.5XL cabinet that had a 5" mid driver on board instead of a dedicated tweeter. Yes, the cabinet had a very particular tone to it, but the clarity was definitely different to that of the tweeter less 410XL version. The former I much preferred especially up at volume on stage. 

To be fair they aren't the only ones rehashing old ideas and claiming them as new. 

Looks like that Dynacord  was a PA speaker. 103dB/W according to the back of the cab (!) and they seem to have a following in Europe as hi fi cabs. crossover at about 500Hz.

• Like 1

I like that Genzler cab', too. I'm not a fan of tweeters and find small h/f cone drivers are much sweeter sounding to my ears. The Genzler cab gave me the idea to get a 12 (sans tweeter) and use it with one or two of my small 4x5 Phil Jones cabs. Makes a great compact but powerful rig.

Edited by Dan Dare

Yes, the idea of small cone drivers has a lot going for it - especially, as Phil says, for bass guitar you don't really need the HF extension that a tweeter gives you.

On the matter of tweeters, a lot of players (like @Dan Dare) say they're not keen on them. However, a proper compression driver and horn properly integrated with the woofer is a completely different kettle of fish. It provides more clarity and "attack" without the tizzy harshness of the cheapo tweeters commonly fitted to bass cabs. IMO, of course.

Yeah there are still some people fitting piezo's  which saves the costs of a crossover. I spent some time experimenting with piezo tweeters a few years ago including some of the so-called quality Motorola tweeters. They universally gave a tizzy sound and even trying out crossovers I couldn't really tame them, the best I got was an 'OK' sound with the tweeters dialled back a couple of dB.

The poor reputation of tweeters is partly down to people's first experience being with cheap piezo's. 

I'll have a look at Dan's Magellan review later

20 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I will. :) 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dood said:

P.S, I also loved the Hartke 4.5XL cabinet that had a 5" mid driver on board instead of a dedicated tweeter. Yes, the cabinet had a very particular tone to it, but the clarity was definitely different to that of the tweeter less 410XL version. The former I much preferred especially up at volume on stage. 

I have an AccuGroove Tri112L too, that sounds fantastic, but these cabs fill the room in another way. Not just in front of...

Well, I stacked some stuff on top of the 12 degree sloping top on the upper cab. No problems at all, no slip sliding away. 
Signal chain: bass -- Cali76 TX -- Jule Amps Monique -- Vanderkley Spartan -- two Bass Array cabs, one in each power amp for 2 x 8 ohms use.
49414836756_6a36b53fe2_o.jpg

Edited by bassmayhem

1 hour ago, bassmayhem said:

I have an AccuGroove Tri112L too, that sounds fantastic, but these cabs fill the room in another way. Not just in front of...

Well, I stacked some stuff on top of the 12 degree sloping top on the upper cab. No problems at all, no slip sliding away. 
Signal chain: bass -- Cali76 TX -- Jule Amps Monique -- Vanderkley Spartan -- two Bass Array cabs, one in each power amp for 2 x 8 ohms use.

Ahhh nice set up! I owned the Accugroove TRI210L for a few years - that was a great little cabinet - a little dark sounding in certain situations though.

I do like those Genzler cabinets though. They sound really good - as you say, wherever you stand.