Why become a member? ×

<<< SOLD >>> Demeter VTHF-300M All Valve Power Amp
£950
London

Platypus

Now here's something you won't see every day!

In fact I've never seen another one for sale.

Absolute highest quality all valve construction - hand built in US, featuring point to point wiring.

Features two preamp valves and 8 6550 power valves.

Gold Plated RCA connectors - I'm including one of OBBM's RCA to Speakon cables.

Demeters list price on these is $3500 on top would be shipping 20% VAT + Import duty of 2.5% which will amount to something like $4,500

This power amp is in near immaculate condition with just a couple of minor scratches on the side of the casing.

From Demeter site

Designed for heavy duty use, the VTHF-300M is equally at home in the studio or on the road. Its all tube high fidelity design rivals and surpasses the sound quality of many of the so-called audiophile amplifiers, yet sells for substantially less. Its awesome power (300 W RMS pentode/150 W triode) can run any speaker through its paces with the accuracy, definition and fullness that only tube amplifiers can deliver. Featuring a custom designed and high current bifiler audio output transformer, regulated B+ to the preamplifier section, individual output tube bias for long tube life, pentode/triode switch, variable feedback control, heavy duty binding posts, gold plated RCA input connector (1/4 phono and Jensen balanced 3-pin also available), optional two speed fan, toroidal power transformer, solid power supply (880 mf @ 800 volts), Demeter selected tubes, a beautiful heavy duty aluminum and steel chassis, all hand built construction in the U.S.A. using only the best quality components.

Specifications

Output power: 300 watts RMS pentode / 150 watts RMS triode
Output impedance: 4 and 8ohms
Nominal input impedance: 100kohms
THD: Less than 0.05 @ 1 watt
Bandwidth: 20 to 20 kHz - .7dB
Preamp tubes: 1 - 12AX7a, 1 - 12AT7a
Power tubes: 8 - Svetlana 6550c
Mounting: 4 space standard rack
Operating voltage: 240/120V AC
Dimensions: 7" x 19" x 12"

Bass Player Magazine reviewer probably summed it up perfectly when he ended his review with:

“It's hard to go back to a solid-state power amp after listening to the VTHF-300M's heavenly sound. this powerhouse is also one of the few pieces of professionally audio gear that's equally at home kicking out a 4-string funk as it is filling a living room with Mozart. You'll probably have to save a ton of pennies to afford one, but it will put a smile on your every time you use it.”

Bass Player Magazine review here: http://www.demeteramps.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=20

Pro Audio Player here !! I love the 'Two are needed for Stereo"

http://www.demeteramps.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=52

Demeter Support Manual:  http://demeteramps.com/manuals/vthf300musersguide.pdf

I'm based in Pinner Middx. and any trial is welcome. take you own preamp along or use one of mine.

Collection or meet up only - I won't be sending anywhere by courier

PBB_3163.jpeg

PBB_3177.jpeg

PBB_3178 2.jpeg

PBB_3161.jpeg

Edited by Platypus
Sold
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Platypus said:

Pro Audio Player here !! I love the 'Two are needed for Stereo"

I recall a similar comment tin the manual for my old Mesa power amp. I guess they're talking to guitarists with stereo FX, but I briefly considered a 2x300w all-tube living room hifi. That would certainly have drowned out the neighbour's dog. And everything else for about 5-miles :) 

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 12:06, ryancowell25 said:

My word - what does that weigh?

Doesn’t state the weight on the Demeter site, though I’ve seen it quoted as 39lbs on TalkBass.

sounds about right - might weigh it myself later To confirm.

update: it weighs 21Kgs or 46 lbs

Edited by Platypus

I know that there was one on sale here in a shock rack and that weighed-in at 70lbs+ - I suspect that 40lbs is closer to the mark here (without the case).  I've always preferred SS power sections (and front-ends for that matter - it took me a long time to work this out), but I'd absolutely love this.  What a very beautiful monster

• ped locked this topic