Why become a member? ×

New SLB from Yamaha with modelling tech!?!

DanOwens

Loved the playability of both the SLB-100 and 200, but whilst I could get them to sound OK recorded, I could never get them to sound like a DB live. I'd love to give one of these babies a go. However, I'm guessing the USA price point is indicative of it likely costing about the equivalent numbers in pounds, which means I'm probably not going to :(

25 minutes ago, DanOwens said:

Yeah, if it has the portability of an MK and the reliability of Yamaha then it might be worth selling all my other EUBs and buying this one

Off topic, but do you own both the MK and Yamaha? To me they look really similar in intent so do you pick one for a particular situation or are they interchangeable?

Back on topic, I'll be interested to hear this new Yamaha, but my wallet's telling me that I won't be getting one of these.

My gut reaction is that for the majority of situations I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and so I'd prefer to hear samples in a band setting. Heck, in the mix an NS Design can be mistaken for a real upright!

7 minutes ago, DanOwens said:

I've got an NS and a Yamaha but no MK. I was considering it for a long time but I can't justify the expense really

Your two basses sounds like my ideal pair to own to be honest. Not sure what the MK would add over these two, but it's hard to judge without playing them myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got the MK, had an SLB100 and an Eminence. Of all the 3, the MK is hands down the best. It’s beautifully made, the sound from the Jazz model is the most faithful to a DB and the body feels the most like a real DB. When I had it made I was able to specify my dimensions (I went for standard in the end). It’s a seriously nice piece of kit.

16 hours ago, NickA said:

Seems weird that it will emulate different microphones, but not different basses.  It would be nice to switch between Charlie Haden's Vuillaume and John Patitucci's Gagliano!

I'm going to guess that a huge part of their sound is the strings used and playing style more so than the actual bass itself. The first would could be easily achieved by changing the strings over on the Yamaha, the second may be too difficult for everyone except Charlie and John themselves :)

• Like 1

Not according to Charlie who claimed HIS Vuillaume sounded better than Patitucci's Vuillaume ... maybe true and explains why JP sold his (for $138,000).  These guys have so many basses ... check out Ken Smith with his my Da Salo this and my Pollmann that .. of course he sells them on.  Anyway, if they all sounded the same no one would ever change 🙂