Why become a member? ×

Well here is a guitarist putting us to shame

bassbora

When i was a teenage brat back in the 80s I was big into the likes of Vai, Satriani etc as I was more of a guitar than bass player back then. IMO I don't see why guitar players shouldn't be accomplished bassists.  I think it's  a bit strong to say the guitar playing in the vid is poor. While it's no longer my cuppa Darjeeling there's no denying these are skilled players and recognisably so. Anyway, back in the 80s, shredding had taken electric guitar playing far beyond what Hendrix, Clapton etc had been doing even if it sounds somewhat dated nowadays

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

When i was a teenage brat back in the 80s I was big into the likes of Vai, Satriani etc as I was more of a guitar than bass player back then. IMO I don't see why guitar players shouldn't be accomplished bassists.  I think it's  a bit strong to say the guitar playing in the vid is poor. While it's no longer my cuppa Darjeeling there's no denying these are skilled players and recognisably so. Anyway, back in the 80s, shredding had taken electric guitar playing far beyond what Hendrix, Clapton etc had been doing even if it sounds somewhat dated nowadays

I'd go as far as to say I never really rated Clapton or Hendrix. They were way before my time, and while I can appreciate they were ground-breaking in their era, I grew up listening to the likes of Steve Vai, Satriani, Malmstein, Slash, and a myriad of other rock guitarist. Who for me, far surpassed anything that Clapton or Hendrix ever did. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

IMO I don't see why guitar players shouldn't be accomplished bassists. 

Agree, apparently Keith Richards played bass on a good many of The Rolling Stones’s songs. From what I’ve read Bill Wymans theory was that if Keef had written a great bass line for a song then he may as well play it on the recordings.

On 18/01/2020 at 12:53, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'd go as far as to say I never really rated Clapton or Hendrix. They were way before my time, and while I can appreciate they were ground-breaking in their era, I grew up listening to the likes of Steve Vai, Satriani, Malmstein, Slash, and a myriad of other rock guitarist. Who for me, far surpassed anything that Clapton or Hendrix ever did. 

These days, nothing I hear by Hendrix, Clapton, Page and other guitar 'gods' of their generation makes my jaw drop but when I still hear an 80s 'shred' album like Flying in A Blue Dream by Satch I'm still mightily impressed

• Like 1

Where in the 20th century every decade had it's own mind-blowing new music that the parents would scold their kids for listening to, from the 80s to the 90s it became more about technology, refining techniques and pushing existing styles to their extremes. 

17 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

These days, nothing I hear by Hendrix, Clapton, Page and other guitar 'gods' of their generation makes my jaw drop but when I still hear an 80s 'shred' album like Flying in A Blue Dream by Satch I'm still mightily impressed

The thing with Hendrix, for example, is that you need to consider the context. What was out there at the time that Hendrix came along? Right now it may not sound that impressive, but in those days it was quite special when you look at the alternatives.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 15:29, Lozz196 said:

Agree, apparently Keith Richards played bass on a good many of The Rolling Stones’s songs. From what I’ve read Bill Wymans theory was that if Keef had written a great bass line for a song then he may as well play it on the recordings.

I think Bill Wyman took the pragmatic approach.

Obviously Keith Richards never played any bass parts that Bill couldn't handle, as he toured all those songs for years, but how was Bill going to win a "discussion" about egos, pride and bass lines with Keith Richards?

I think Bill understood the futility of any such conversation and just stayed in the background, collecting the cheques.

18 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

These days, nothing I hear by Hendrix, Clapton, Page and other guitar 'gods' of their generation makes my jaw drop. . . . . .

You're judging them totally out of context. Cream and the Jeff Beck Group started Rock. Hey, no surprise it didn't sound like Rock when they did it, but Deep Purple and Led Zepplin stood on their shoulders as have all subsequent generations. No Jeff Beck, no shredding. You don't have to like what has gone before but you should understand where the pieces drop into place.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

You're judging them totally out of context. Cream and the Jeff Beck Group started Rock. Hey, no surprise it didn't sound like Rock when they did it, but Deep Purple and Led Zepplin stood on their shoulders as have all subsequent generations. No Jeff Beck, no shredding. You don't have to like what has gone before but you should understand where the pieces drop into place.

Exactly.  All about context.  In the 60s Clapton, Hendrix, Peter Green, Jeff Beck, Jimi Page et al started something of a revolution which became the foundation for what we have now.  Same with EVH - a lot of folks feel his tapping etc is old hat but, at the time, he was the first to do it in the context of a rock band.  If he hadn't done that it is unlikely that Steve Vai/Satch/Ingwe would have moved it along a bit.  

Anyway, no shredding here either - lovely version with a Hammond in place of the strings 😉

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2

I thought I would just respond a little to this since I started this.  I was just randomly listening to YouTube when that video came up on my feed.  I thought it looked interesting mainly because I saw Tom Morello was in the title and Vai actually as well.  Then Nuno started to play the bass and I thought someone else might find it interesting and posted here with, in hindsight, not the best title.  

This got me thinking about my influences and what inspires me.  I have been listening and playing music since I was a kid.  I realised I was mostly interested in the bass because I seemed to like to listen to John Deacon and John Taylor when I was a kid. I got my first bass at 16 or so and since I had no one to show me anything I just played along to records and Love by The Cult was the first record so we could say that Jamie Stewart was my first bass influence as a player.

I then studied bass and jazz for few years and then you realise you are actually studying music and not bass.  It just happens to be the instrument you are using to be involved.  I had sax and piano players as teachers for improvisation so the influences have been varied.  I had to play also a lot of classical music.  The point is influences can come from any period and any type of music.

I still get excited listening to new music of any genre, it does not matter if it is a virtuoso on any given instrument or just kids starting out.  I can learn something new from most people even just how they approach their instrument and their view on music.

I guess the point is you can get inspired by anyone or anything as long as you dont approach music (this applies to anything in life really) with preconceived ideas with what can or should be done.  Open mind gives us innovation.

• Like 8

I get the 'all about context' comments' but if you look beyond the narrow confines of the rock genre, jazz  and country guitar players of the 40s-60s could still run rings around the rockers of the 60s-70s  e.g. Wes Montgomery, Joe Pass, Grant Green, Merle Travis, Jimmy Bryant, Roay Clark, Chet Atkins  etc. Well as far as advancing techniques goes.