Why become a member? ×

Well here is a guitarist putting us to shame

bassbora

3 hours ago, bassbora said:

I just thought it was cool that a guitar hero like Nuno would be happy to play the bass.  I did see that Stu Hamm came on stage after but I didn’t watch the full video 

And why wouldn’t he be happy to play bass?

IMHO I thought both the guitar playing and bass were dated and unoriginal and in the case of the guitar; overly self indulgent. Yep, not really my cup of tea, but each to their own. 😉

7 minutes ago, Storky said:

IMHO I thought both the guitar playing and bass were dated and unoriginal and in the case of the guitar; overly self indulgent. Yep, not really my cup of tea, but each to their own. 😉

I totally agree with you and I only posted this for fun.

26 minutes ago, Storky said:

in a 34 year old song - surely not?

33 minutes ago, joeystrange said:

Eddie Van Halen played bass on a Sammy Hagar album. I always thought that was cool.

Yep, and I recall an interview of the time in Guitar Player magazine where Sammy Hagar told the story of how EVH had started jamming on the bass as though he were playing his usual Frankestrat guitar; and Hagar was complaining "No, no, no - you got to think more …...bass". 

Whatever the f*** that's supposed to mean. :angry2:

Though I've a sneaking suspicion that he intended "crochet root notes for you, Sonny Jim, and yes you may be the most technically advanced guitarist in Rock; but when you have a bass in your hands, don't forget your place".

From my perspective, nowt wrong with a bassist who also plays guitar, or a guitarist who additionally plays bass...as long as you play each appropriately to the instrument in your hands and don't try to turn on into the other.B|

HDE Channel gig.jpg

Nomad SJF.jpg

In fact, Nuno Bettencourt started his musical career as a bass player, he then switched to guitar, because, urm, urm, he was playing too many notes.

These are his own words in an interview with Extreme looooooooooooooooooooooooooong ago (still had long hair, or simply put hair).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

They need a guitarist who can play songs and not loads of random notes in the hope they work. what a poor performance on the guitar part (and no, i have no idea who he is, nor care).

That's just the nature of late 80s/early 90s guitar hero rock.

It always seemed to be more about displaying very high levels of technical proficiency than writing great songs. Generally the rest of the band is just there to provide a framework for the guitarist to do his 'thing'

It never did much for me but I had a few mates at school (all guitar players) who absolutely loved it.

5 minutes ago, Cato said:

That's just the nature of late 80s/early 90s guitar hero rock.

It always seemed to be more about displaying very high levels of technical proficiency than writing great songs. Generally the rest of the band is just there to provide a framework for the guitarist to do his 'thing'

It never did much for me but I had a few mates at school (all guitar players) who absolutely loved it.

Dont  time wrong, i don’t mind the hair rock stuff, its just that the guitar performance in the video posted was very poor (IMO). 

• Like 2

It's worth pointing out that the clip posted is from a regular jam night hosted at a club in LA.  Well known musicians often played and everyone had to stick to the rules of "no pedals, just get up, plug in and play". It's a fun jam, mistakes and wrong turns included; It's not supposed to be a polished, rehearsed performance.

• Like 1

I love these threads where everyone shares their conservative musical views. Given how groundbreaking rock and roll was, you think that spirit of invention might have lived on, but it appears for many it got stuck somewhere in the mid 1970s. 

Anyway, I'll have my go, "Nuno Bettencourt plays with no soul / emotion etc". 😂

• Like 1