Why become a member? ×

New bass day - Almost!

Bass Fumbler

Not quite a new bass day, I got it on New Years Eve.

its a 57 Bitsa that I bought off Walshy.

I’ve been taking my time getting used to playing it, it’s a totally different feel to my American Standard.
It is a bit heavier too but it has a fantastic sustain.

When I received it, it had flatwounds fitted, which I gave a go at but they’re not for me, so I’ve since fitted a set of D’Adario roundwounds & it now growls like a beast! 
The neck is also a fair bit chunkier, which took some getting used to but I’m getting there.

All in all I’m really pleased with my purchase and can’t wait to try it out at our next gig, I’m sure it’s going to sound awesome.

A5AE0405-EB18-4822-BAF6-6275F41826AB.jpeg

77F4BAA9-8B83-4A28-A493-657EBE91BEC5.jpeg

4D9B3EC0-9707-44A7-8C70-3BB309B91553.jpeg

Edited by Bass Fumbler
To add pictures
  • Like 2

No, but it looks like one.

t

This is what Walshy wrote about it. 

•  
  • Up for grabs this super P bass build by BassDoc. Built with quality parts including
    Fender licenced WD neck and body
    Neck is mint and body has some dinks and knocks.
    Gotoh reverse tuners
    Roadwork bridge with spiral saddles
    Fender reissue gold aluminium Scratchplate
    Fender 60’s reissue pick up
    Fender reissue knobs
    CTS pots and switchcraft jack
    D’addario Chrome Flats 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bass Fumbler said:

No, but it looks like one.

t

This is what Walshy wrote about it. 

•  
  • Up for grabs this super P bass build by BassDoc. Built with quality parts including
    Fender licenced WD neck and body
    Neck is mint and body has some dinks and knocks.
    Gotoh reverse tuners
    Roadwork bridge with spiral saddles
    Fender reissue gold aluminium Scratchplate
    Fender 60’s reissue pick up
    Fender reissue knobs
    CTS pots and switchcraft jack
    D’addario Chrome Flats 

So why not just buy a fender mim classic 50’s series or fender road worn mim 50’s p bass?

Why re invent the wheel?

Either could be had for £700 or less?

Edited by gareth

2 hours ago, gareth said:

Why re invent the wheel?

I suppose the obvious answer is why not? The world is full of different peoples take on Fender basses (and all other manufacturers as well of course) and they will have subtle and less than subtle differences. 

People enjoy a bit of variety, it's fun I guess. I have a bitsa P in my collection, I could have bought a second hand mim Fender for a little more, might not have been all that different in any objective sense. But it wouldn't be my individual bitsa though. 

Congrats on the new addition @Bass Fumbler I hope you will be very happy together. 

• Like 1

There was a Mexican Road Worn for sale at the same time, which I was tempted by but I thought the spec would be higher on the bitsa. Also, I had a reliced bass before and never felt too easy with the look of it, although it was described as having been dragged along by a car!

Also the tuners are rock solid, unlike on the Mexican Jazz that I had, in fact I think that they are probably more solid than my American Standard too!

Either way, I'm happy with my purchase and that's all that counts for me.

Edited by Bass Fumbler
Adding more content
  • Like 2

that's a lovely looking bass, the big plus point for me is that it was assembled by the bass doc, i have had a few of my basses setup by him and they all came back playing perfectly, he really does know how to build a "fender" bass (even a bitsa that i threw together out of 50 quids worth of bits came back from his surgery playing superbly) 

the top spec components of this build should make it a tone monster.

Matt

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

that's a lovely looking bass, the big plus point for me is that it was assembled by the bass doc, i have had a few of my basses setup by him and they all came back playing perfectly, he really does know how to build a "fender" bass (even a bitsa that i threw together out of 50 quids worth of bits came back from his surgery playing superbly) 

the top spec components of this build should make it a tone monster.

Matt

+1

Walshy is a carpenter by trade (I believe), so this is no amateur build.

I tell you what I don't like about that bass, the fact that I don't own it! A 50's remake is on my shopping list just because they look so good (always the best reason to buy a new bass)! I would have to put covers on it though.

Is the logo the pre TV logo decal? 

• 2 weeks later...

I played my first gig of the year last night using this bass & it was fantastic to play!
It cut through the mix perfectly and it positively throbbed and growled. It’s definitely a keeper.

I took my American Standard as well, just in case it was needed but it just sat there looking pretty. 
I’m playing again next week in a very small narrow room and I think it will be a single bass gig!