Why become a member? ×

Old '60s Maton

NikNik

I think that's the Adam Clayton sig model. Certainly they used to have one in the window. I quite fancied it, but:

1. What's the point of blocks on a jazz neck without binding?

2. It's Adam Clayton...

3. The price was less than 10% off what a new one would have cost.

4. It's Adam Clayton...

Edited by Simon.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's a Maton Ibis, ridiculously, insanely rare 60s era Australian-made bass- and I believe I have encountered this particular one before.

A long time ago, the band my partner & I were in the process of putting together briefly used a rehearsal space in an old church turned arts centre in Craigmillar, Edinburgh. Would've been 1998/99, according to Karen, who worked just round the corner at the time & had blagged us the room. There was a band finishing up & packing away & I got chatting to the bassist, an Aussie guy, probably in his 60s, about his quite amazing looking white Maton Ibis, which he'd brought with him when he emigrated from Aus to Scotland.

Having never seen one in real life either before or since, I'd imagine this is the same bass. It's a real shame the shop's clued up enough these days to know what they're selling (had a few silly bargains there in the past) or I'd be sorely, painfully tempted to give this a home. :)

Edited by Bassassin
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just got one of these. Highly recommended. Well put together and very unusual for a 1960s bass (200 made 1963-64). Has a more modern tone due to the combination of 35" scale (has to be the first production instrument with this) and the very unusual pickup placement for that era - further back than a P-bass and almost getting to the Stingray position giving it a pretty pronounced midrange. Wonderful slim neck profile. The bridge is crazy and unlike any other I've seen but still fully adjustable. I just finished doing a bit of fret work on it and it plays perfectly with quite low action. Also light and very comfortable - does neck dive a bit - more that it likes to sit horizontally - doesn't go to the floor. Not a big deal to me and worth the compromise though I know that's a deal breaker for some.

IMG_7871.jpeg

Edited by Kazan
Spelling fix
  • Like 5

On 16/01/2020 at 16:18, Simon. said:

I think that's the Adam Clayton sig model. Certainly they used to have one in the window. I quite fancied it, but:

2. It's Adam Clayton...

4. It's Adam Clayton...

Who’s Adam Clayton ?

On 16/01/2020 at 20:16, Reggaebass said:

Not a lot of info on them but It says here that in 1964 the original list price was £94.10s in Australia .http://www.coolcarsnguitars.com/GG/shop/matonibisbass.htm

That's the bass I bought - that link is no longer live and has moved to here in his sold section - nice history on these basses and this one in particular:

http://www.coolcarsnguitars.com/GG/sold/matonibisbass.htm

• Like 2

On 28/06/2020 at 14:39, Kazan said:

I just got one of these. Highly recommended. Well put together and very unusual for a 1960s bass (200 made 1963-64). Has a more modern tone due to the combination of 35" scale (has to be the first production instrument with this) and the very unusual pickup placement for that era - further back than a P-bass and almost getting to the Stingray position giving it a pretty pronounced midrange. Wonderful slim neck profile. The bridge is crazy and unlike any other I've seen but still fully adjustable. I just finished doing a bit of fret work on it and it plays perfectly with quite low action. Also light and very comfortable - does neck dive a bit - more that it likes to sit horizontally - doesn't go to the floor. Not a big deal to me and worth the compromise though I know that's a deal breaker for some.

IMG_7871.jpeg

Very nice Kazan 👍

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Very nice Kazan 👍

Thank you, Reggaebass. I had lusted after this very bass for years via that site but never contacted him as the page said "NOT FOR SALE" prominently and prohibitively. I posted on a Facebook group looking for one and he contacted me - and that was that!

• Like 1

I think these are gorgeous, utterly unique-looking basses, and am faintly disturbed by the fact that, having spent so little during lockdown, I could probably afford to buy the Edinburgh one (I expect it's still there) without losing too much sleep.

No. Not a collector, and I'm surrounded already by basses I don't have occasion to play. And besides, I want a red one now... :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

I think these are gorgeous, utterly unique-looking basses, and am faintly disturbed by the fact that, having spent so little during lockdown, I could probably afford to buy the Edinburgh one (I expect it's still there) without losing too much sleep.

No. Not a collector, and I'm surrounded already by basses I don't have occasion to play. And besides, I want a red one now... :lol:

I agree on the overall aesthetic and think the white one is pretty attractive as well - and it has the original case (mine does not). I talked to the guy there and they didn't do shipping and the price was too high for me to take the risk without being able to play/hear it first. Now, having had time with one, I think it's worth the money though would still try to negotiate it down some. The white finish is rare, too - by far, most of these were either red to black burst or 'golden' (tobacco) sunburst. I only know of two in red (this one and one at the Maton company museum). Know of one in black. Also some had contoured bodies and some didn't. The Edinburgh one was still there fairly recently. I would advise to try it if you could though as it does have a pretty characteristic tone which you may or may not like - a strong midrange with an overdriven quality. I'm anxious to hear how it flies or not in a live band context but suspect it will cut and fit well. Here's a quick sample I did with it:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'd give you £50 all day long. ;)

Seriously though, these are incredibly rare but very niche, so while they may be priced high (the one in the Edinburgh shop was £2195) it''d probably be hard to find a buyer. Fwiw I have no idea if that's a fair or reasonable price as there literally aren't any others to compare to.

Got any pics?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ricardogil said:

Hi guys i may have found a 1964 maton ibis bass guitar in white an pink in its original 60s case how much would this be worth to someone? 

Congrats! Rare find. Mine took a bit of set up work but plays great now. As @Bassassin says, the one in Edinburgh was £2200  (also white with pinkish pickguard and with the case so maybe the same one?) - I talked to the guy there and he was firm on the price at that time. The ones I've seen for sale in Australia have tended to be priced in the AUS $2,500-$4,500 range. Less if missing/replaced parts, refinished or without the case.

Also, as Bassassin says, these are very niche so may not move fast regardless. That one in Edinburgh was there for at least 6 months (assuming it has since sold - don't know). I considered it but opted not to given the price/no flexibility on it and that they would not ship.

Edited by Kazan
Added info

31 minutes ago, Kazan said:

Congrats! Rare find. Mine took a bit of set up work but plays great now. As @Bassassin says, the one in Edinburgh was £2200  (also white with pinkish pickguard and with the case so maybe the same one?) - I talked to the guy there and he was firm on the price at that time. The ones I've seen for sale in Australia have tended to be priced in the AUS $2,500-$4,500 range. Less if missing/replaced parts, refinished or without the case.

On the rare occasions, over the years that I've found something of interest in there, I've never had any luck with offers. They got smart around the mid Noughties and started working off retail prices. That's why you'd sometimes walk in there and see a used Stingray for more than retail shops were asking! There was one particular guy in there for some time who was a tad offhand and snorted and sniffed like an old duffer when I asked if I could bring in my Allen wrenches to see what travel was left on the rods of a '70s Rick they had taken in; he refused. I did have some satisfaction at a later date when I pointed out that another Rick they were selling at £900 was, in fact, a copy.

Duncanson & Edwards ceased trading earlier this year, though there is still gear in the windows. I think their inventory has been taken up by another pledge company.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NikNik said:

On the rare occasions, over the years that I've found something of interest in there, I've never had any luck with offers. They got smart around the mid Noughties and started working off retail prices. That's why you'd sometimes walk in there and see a used Stingray for more than retail shops were asking! There was one particular guy in there for some time who was a tad offhand and snorted and sniffed like an old duffer when I asked if I could bring in my Allen wrenches to see what travel was left on the rods of a '70s Rick they had taken in; he refused. I did have some satisfaction at a later date when I pointed out that another Rick they were selling at £900 was, in fact, a copy.

Duncanson & Edwards ceased trading earlier this year, though there is still gear in the windows. I think their inventory has been taken up by another pledge company.

Good background. All makes me wonder if this is not the same bass. When I communicated with the guy it was during the first lockdown and they were not open - he sent me a storeroom photo of the bass. I thought he'd be motivated to make the sale or at least consider shipping given the circumstances, but no (he was very polite though).

17 minutes ago, Kazan said:

Good background. All makes me wonder if this is not the same bass. When I communicated with the guy it was during the first lockdown and they were not open - he sent me a storeroom photo of the bass. I thought he'd be motivated to make the sale or at least consider shipping given the circumstances, but no (he was very polite though).

I recognise the fella you're talking about there.

I think they made enough money of jewellery pawns that they didn't have to worry too much about the guitar stuff. Probably knew that most guitar guys are 'I'll come back later!' types.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2020 at 16:18, Simon. said:

2. It's Adam Clayton...

4. It's Adam Clayton...

5. It’s Adam Clayton.