Why become a member? ×

NAMM 2020 - Spector

cetera

The new Spector (now owned by Korg) line-up has been announced. Personally I'm a little disappointed that they didn't:

1) offer more Euro colour options as standard
2) offer a JJ pickup Euro 4 string
3) offer a Euro X (Spectorbird) model
4) offer a maple board Euro model

Also, who the hell is Skyler Acord? And why does he deserve a signature model?

However, I'm HUGELY gassing for a solid red gloss Euro classic.... and I like the new black & blue matte colour on the EuroLX. Will be interested to hear the Fishman loaded EuroLT too...

https://bassmusicianmagazine.com/2020/01/spector-bass-model-updates-and-signature-models-for-namm-2020/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cetera said:

The new Spector (now owned by Korg) line-up has been announced. Personally I'm a little disappointed that they didn't:

1) offer more Euro colour options as standard
2) offer a JJ pickup Euro 4 string
3) offer a Euro X (Spectorbird) model
4) offer a maple board Euro model

Your 2nd and 4th points would deffo float my boat @cetera .  Both together would be optimal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Im even more confused now. Maybe he charges less than someone who will be recognised. Seems even he cant remember who he is lol.

That's his brother's Wikipedia page.

Bit heard of him, or his band TBH, but must be doing something right

Who on earth is Skyler Accord? I must admit, I've never heard of him and I'm generally fairly up to speed with rock and metal. The band he is in don't seem to have a huge following. 

I recall a few years back when Ibanez massively expanded their signature line with a load of metalcore artist sigs made in their Asian factories. There was a strong demarcation between those and the Japanese-built stuff for the real AAA roster.

I think we've seen even further dilution of the signature instrument this year with EBMM offering a Jared Dines guitar. I'm not even sure he is in a band or plays music outside of joke tracks for his crap YouTube channel. Is this what people want now, a guitar specced out by an "influencer" rather than a signature instrument with features that are useful to the artist and their music?

I digress. This Sky Accord guy can play and he gets a great tone from his Spector (which is to be expected, I suppose) but the band he is in are bad, cringingly bad. If you don't like metalcore with autotuned vocals then just try to tune them out and listen to this bass tone:

It will be interesting to see how Spector changes in the future now that Stuart has retired. I wonder if he still has any stake in the business and ability to influence as a shareholder or if he is fully retired and out. 

I see the new Euros with Fishman pickups and I think that could be interesting. That said, I've heard the Spectors with Bartolini and Aguilars and I didn't think any of those were as good as Spectors with EMGs, although I'm not a fan of Aguilar pickups, I must admit.

As mentioned in another thread about Spectors here recently, I do wish Spector would broaden their artist roster and try and pick up some jazz fusion artists. I want to hear some awesome music with that great Spector tone instead of chunga chunga metal.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 20/01/2020 at 18:47, Mastodon2 said:

Who on earth is Skyler Accord? I must admit, I've never heard of him and I'm generally fairly up to speed with rock and metal. The band he is in don't seem to have a huge following. 

I recall a few years back when Ibanez massively expanded their signature line with a load of metalcore artist sigs made in their Asian factories. There was a strong demarcation between those and the Japanese-built stuff for the real AAA roster.

I think we've seen even further dilution of the signature instrument this year with EBMM offering a Jared Dines guitar. I'm not even sure he is in a band or plays music outside of joke tracks for his crap YouTube channel. Is this what people want now, a guitar specced out by an "influencer" rather than a signature instrument with features that are useful to the artist and their music?

I digress. This Sky Accord guy can play and he gets a great tone from his Spector (which is to be expected, I suppose) but the band he is in are bad, cringingly bad. If you don't like metalcore with autotuned vocals then just try to tune them out and listen to this bass tone:

It will be interesting to see how Spector changes in the future now that Stuart has retired. I wonder if he still has any stake in the business and ability to influence as a shareholder or if he is fully retired and out. 

I see the new Euros with Fishman pickups and I think that could be interesting. That said, I've heard the Spectors with Bartolini and Aguilars and I didn't think any of those were as good as Spectors with EMGs, although I'm not a fan of Aguilar pickups, I must admit.

As mentioned in another thread about Spectors here recently, I do wish Spector would broaden their artist roster and try and pick up some jazz fusion artists. I want to hear some awesome music with that great Spector tone instead of chunga chunga metal.

Yes,  I am also looking forward to seeing the new Euro LT's with the Fishman pickups. I watched a video on youtube and Spector's John Stippell mentioned that they would release several short runs in different colours this year. I am aware of the one in faded black and John was holding one in amber. I would replace the neck pick up with the new Mike Inez Legacy Fishman Fluence pickup and create the ultimate AIC bass 😎