Why become a member? ×

SBMM Short Scale Ray 34

drTStingray

1 hour ago, obbm said:

I've been waiting for this. I wonder what the differences are between this and the USA version apart from the price.

Same as the regular Stingray Ray 34 I'd guess. Quality of tuners, maybe other hardware and the fact it's made in Asia. Otherwise probably similar enough to not notice, if you're on a budget. Not sure they do the oil and wax neck finish neck on these and the Ray 34. 

Re the passive boost, people on Talkbass have described it as like running in a 'cut' mode (though still powerful enough) on normal and the boost gives you enough to stand out where necessary (eg a solo). How it's achieved have been discussed at some length esp on Talkbass. 

1 hour ago, therealting said:

@drTStingray So it’s really more of an attenuator that gets turned off rather than a boost?

Yeah I think so - best way to check (I think it's basically the same as the full fat MM version in that respect), email EBMM customer services and ask them in respect of the Stingray short scale.

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I can't think (happy to be proved wrong) of a readily available short scale with a single humbucker. 

The Cort Action Jr has a single humbucker and is a surprisingly good short-scale for the money. On mine I upgraded the tuners and bridge to Hipshot products and it is a very nice sounding bass - the upgrade to a KickAss bridge was definitely worthwhile, made the sound much more focused.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, solo4652 said:

Blast - it has a 38mm nut. No good for my clumsy great paws. Why is it that P-width necks seem so rare on short scales?

If my memory serves the old Fender Musicmasters had a 40 or 41mm width.  The Squier Vista series Musicmaster certainly did.  Just measured my Hofner Club, sat next to it, 43mm across the nut.