Why become a member? ×

Replacing a Speaker?

acidbass

Hi all

The 10" speaker in my beloved Promethean combo has blown :( the edges of the cone are detaching and it farts at medium volumes

Ibanez have discontinued this (fantastic) line of amps and no longer manufacture the speakers, so I can't get a replacement from them.

I am wondering what I should do! In theory, any 8 ohm 10" speaker designed for a bass cabinet should work, shouldn't it? Should I be looking at Eminence, Celestion or other brands?

Is there anything I need to check with regards to tuning/porting etc?

I will definitely have my amp tech put this in so won't be fiddling with it myself.

All advice welcome!

Thanks

Danny

There are a ton of similar threads to this on BassChat and to find a suitable speaker you need to model the cab in WinSD in order to decide on a suitable replacement. I'm sure someone with the knowledge will be along soon to tell you what measurements are needed, ie internal dimensions, port sizes etc 

Or just send the speaker to Wembley Loudspeakers and they will recone it 

Useful thread here with specs for original driver and possible replacements: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkbass.com/threads/ibanez-promethean-p5110-speaker-upgrade.874880/%3famp=1335303606

Also check out input from our own @StraightSix , the OP of the Talkbass thread: 

The promethean uses a slot port, so I imagine altering it would be virtually impossible, especially in a cabinet this small. So if you decide to replace the driver you're stuck with whatever works with what you've already got, but from briefly reading the 2 threads I've linked it looks like improving on previous performance will be no problem if you're willing to spend a little bit.

This thread is making the aged Celestion in my Ashdown 1x10 combo feel extremely nervous...

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

Before you go to all that trouble.

if it is just the cone detaching then it might be possible to repair the speaker. A lot of old drivers suffer because the glue becomes brittle with age/oxidation/exposure to light and goes all crumbly. If you go carefully you an usually re glue. I usually use Copydex for this, it's latex based and water soluble so bonds really well to paper cones and cloth and remains flexible for a very long time. The join should be stronger than the cone if you do it right. 

I usually assume if one part of the cone has come away it all will but you might not feel confident being so drastic. I separate the whole cone and glue the lot but if you address the offending 'split' you need to clean off any old crumbly glue and make sure the area is dust free, then just glue together following the instructions on the glue. I usually also check the join in the middle where the domes paper dust cover fixes to the cone, the glue is often in the same state. Try not to get too much glue spreading across the cone and you need to be careful not to distort the cone but it is basically a simple job, just be gentle and methodical. You've nothing to lose by trying. 

Good Luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

Just for reference I went with the below speaker on the advice on my amp tech:

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/eminence-legend-ca-1059-a-8ohm-10-350-watt-bass-guitar-speaker-p-3174.html?zenid=po2nd0atpi6pnu094fgsgqk433

Looking forward to bringing the combo back to her best :)

I'm no expert but plugging numbers into WINISD doesn't make for great viewing for that driver with regards to maximum power handling and cone excursion. Perhaps seek a 2nd opinion from some of the boffins on here to confirm... The aforementioned Celestion looks like an altogether better driver.

Edited by Bigwan

Adding to Phil's post above, it may be possible to get a recone for your driver. As long as the motor/magnet assembly is fine, that could be a good option. Google 'speaker re-coning' or similar and you should find someone.

Edited by Dan Dare

Reconing is often a good option, but I wouldn't bother reconing that driver personally - it's junk. If you can't repair it as Phil has suggested (which would also be my first move), you now have a good opportunity to fit a decent speaker for not much more than the cost of a recone.

For less than half of the price of that Eminence, you could fit a Celestion Pulse 10, which should do the job nicely and save you some weight. If you want to save some more weight, go for the Celestion neo BN10-200X or Faital pro 10PR320, both of which are quite a bit cheaper than the Eminence.

I might be able to help if you want a neo Celestion, think i have a BN10-200X sitting in a box at home barely used (bought a couple of neo Celestions about 10 years ago to build some cabs but never actually got round to it) 

(if any kind of deal is made i will make sure pay my subs to BC obvs)

M