Why become a member? ×

Boss OC2 - OCT 1 output volume too low to be used alone

AinsleyWalker

So I see a lot of people using OC2s with the dry signal and -2 octave all the way off and the -1 octave all the way up. I've had my OC2 for years but whenever I've tried to use it like this, it's been way too quiet, the -1 octave simply isn't loud enough to be used alone and when engaged, there's a significant drop in volume, even when using a powerful amp/cab and a Cali76 compressor in front of it. 

Am I missing something? I watch demos and it doesn't seem to happen to others.

Yup. There’s a mod that involves disconnecting the -2 Oct which increase the output. You can also decrease the dry pot too for further volume however just taking the -2 really sorts out the volume issue and with a bit of dry mixed in it sits great in the mix. It’s a super quick job you just need a good teccy! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

Yup. There’s a mod that involves disconnecting the -2 Oct which increase the output. You can also decrease the dry pot too for further volume however just taking the -2 really sorts out the volume issue and with a bit of dry mixed in it sits great in the mix. It’s a super quick job you just need a good teccy! 

Be really interesting if this same mod could be done to the OC2's arguably closest pedal clone, the Valeton OC-10. If so, I'd be very tempted to get another one to replace the one I moved on! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Be really interesting if this same mod could be done to the OC2's arguably closest pedal clone, the Valeton OC-10. If so, I'd be very tempted to get another one to replace the one I moved on! 

Hmm. Dunno but sure somebody a bit more tech minded could quickly figure it out?

1 hour ago, dodge_bass said:

Oh interesting, I'll have to look into this. Know anywhere I could look to have this done? My OC2 actually has no dry signal.. I think the pot for that control is broken so that's another repair that needs doing. Maybe I could look for someone who could do both at the same time. Although I've just bought an MXR Bass Octave deluxe and I think that might be more usable, as much as I love the oc2.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AinsleyWalker said:

@dodge_bass I've also JUST learnt that the old Taiwanese/Japanese OC2s (like mine) which use the Boss ACA adapter need 12v to run properly... 
So for all these years I think maybe I've been underpowering it and that could be a factor in why it's so quiet?? Gonna test it out 

That’s interesting. I’ve got a couple and I’m sure that one of these is Japanese and I haven’t noticed any difference in the output. Only been running them on 9V. 

Oh interesting, I'll have to look into this. Know anywhere I could look to have this done? My OC2 actually has no dry signal.. I think the pot for that control is broken so that's another repair that needs doing. Maybe I could look for someone who could do both at the same time. Although I've just bought an MXR Bass Octave deluxe and I think that might be more usable, as much as I love the oc2.

It’s a pretty simple soldering job so most people who are handy with a soldering iron should be able to do it. Where are you based?

I found that the three leaf audio Octabreve is probably the closest emulator of an OC2. I wasn’t a huge fan of the base  octave deluxe to be honest - each to their own :) 

Just now, dodge_bass said:

It’s a pretty simple soldering job so most people who are handy with a soldering iron should be able to do it. Where are you based?

I'm based in Luton, just north of London.

1 minute ago, dodge_bass said:

That’s interesting. I’ve got a couple and I’m sure that one of these is Japanese and I haven’t noticed any difference in the output. Only been running them on 9V. 

Yeah I did try running mine on both 9v and 12v but didn't notice any audible difference. But I've checked a few forums and pages and it seems that if it says ACA adaptor not PSU adaptor, then it needs 12v to run properly.  But I can't find anything official. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

I found that the three leaf audio Octabreve is probably the closest emulator of an OC2. I wasn’t a huge fan of the base  octave deluxe to be honest - each to their own :) 

Yeah they look very good! I'd rather fix up my OC2 than get one of those tbh. 
That's fair, it's definitely different (which is fine because I wanted an OC2 alternative). it's a bit more of a 'run of the mill octave', which is generally what I'd heard about it and expected, but very beefy so I can see it being very usable, if not slightly less unique than the OC2

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

I'm based in Luton, just north of London.

Yeah I did try running mine on both 9v and 12v but didn't notice any audible difference. But I've checked a few forums and pages and it seems that if it says ACA adaptor not PSU adaptor, then it needs 12v to run properly.  But I can't find anything official. 

There must be some amp repairers / technicians nearby that could look over it for you?

6 minutes ago, AinsleyWalker said:

Yeah they look very good! I'd rather fix up my OC2 than get one of those tbh. 
That's fair, it's definitely different (which is fine because I wanted an OC2 alternative). it's a bit more of a 'run of the mill octave', which is generally what I'd heard about it and expected, but very beefy so I can see it being very usable, if not slightly less unique than the OC2

Yes totally agree about the MXR - useable but not so unique a sound.