Why become a member? ×

Anyone learning John Patitucci's Melodic Etudes?

Rob MacKillop

I've just started the first of John Patitucci's Melodic Etudes, and am very impressed with them. I'd like to know if anyone else here is working through the book?

There are 60 studies in various keys and with various scales, and then there is a scale dictionary at the back, with separate fingering for upright and bass guitars.

I've just done a video of the first study, in C Major. I recorded it twice: once unplugged but with a close mic, the second time through a Phil Jones Double Four. I like the acoustic sound, although completely impractical in any gig situation! The bass is the Ibanez SRH500F, a great instrument for the price, though I really wish it didn't have those "in-between frets" dots on the fretboard, which are really distracting! TI-Flats - can't remember the gauge. 

• Like 6

Thanks for posting this Rob, nice work, the whole book should keep you busy for months

Obviously you could mix acoustic and amplified signals depending on how you record it for a best of both worlds sound

Thanks for the demonstration of the Ibanez bass, I'm tempted by @Treegirl's one that is for salen at the moment but like many am skint for a month; also interesting to read you comment about the fingerboard markers distracting from the edge markers, but it will be useful for anyone looking at this bass

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob MacKillop said:

I've just started the first of John Patitucci's Melodic Etudes, and am very impressed with them. I'd like to know if anyone else here is working through the book?

There are 60 studies in various keys and with various scales, and then there is a scale dictionary at the back, with separate fingering for upright and bass guitars.

I've just done a video of the first study, in C Major. I recorded it twice: once unplugged but with a close mic, the second time through a Phil Jones Double Four. I like the acoustic sound, although completely impractical in any gig situation! The bass is the Ibanez SRH500F, a great instrument for the price, though I really wish it didn't have those "in-between frets" dots on the fretboard, which are really distracting! TI-Flats - can't remember the gauge. 

Very nice!

• Like 1

Aiden - it is a great bass for the money, and 2nd-hand even better if in good condition. They've tried to cater for everybody's preference regarding fret markers. The side dots are all I need. The in-between dots might suit someone else. But they've also added black thin lines where the frets would be. They are so thin and so dark, I can't actually see them when playing, unless I face a light and stick my neck out. My personal preference is side dots in the usual places, including the 3rd. If we are going to have fret lines, then make them visible. But as for in-between dots on the fretboard - who wants that?

Otherwise it is perfect 🙂

Ambient - thanks. Glad you like it. 

• Like 1

The book is great for sight reading, with all keys presented in their modes and the melodic minor scale. Each piece gives a flavour of the scale or mode. Nice to have a few Phrygian pieces in there, not to mention Locrian. There is no tab, and no fingering, which is ideal if you want to improve your sight reading. Published by Carl Fischer. 

Cheers, Pete. They're good etudes. I hope other members here taken them on. It would be good to build up videos of the whole book. 

I try to just look at the side dots, but every now and then the fretboard dots distract me. Ah well, there are worse things in the world to worry about. I'll get used to them!

It's one of my favourite books for reminding myself that my reading isn't what it should be 😂

A great practice resource and a serious workout; most of the studies are rhythmically straightforward but challenging it terms of pitch, especially given JP's preference for using all of the ledger lines above the stave.

I get that. I haven't read them all, but my feeling is that there are a half dozen or so that I would want to memorise, at least for a while, and use the rest as quality reading fodder. And then there are moments when I use them as springboards for improv. They are there to be used in any way we see fit. I'd like to see more composed pieces for bass players. 

I should perhaps mention my own Mel Bay publication, Classical and Contemporary Studies for Bass Guitar? https://www.melbay.com/Products/30676M/classical-and-contemporary-studies-for-bass-guitar.aspx 

• Like 1