Why become a member? ×

Replacement driver for TecAmp XS 112. Help and advice needed...

solo4652

I have two of these TecAmp XS 112 cabs: https://www.bassgeardirect.com.au/product/tecamp-xs112-classic-bass-cab/   300W @ 8 Ohm.  I use one for rehearsals, and both for gigs, driven by either a GKMB500 or my newly-acquired Kustom DE1200.

The cab driver is a lightweight ceramic 12" ceramic jobbie, badged "TecAmp".

Last night at rehearsal, the driver in one of the cabs failed. We could smell burning from the moment I turned everything on, and the volume was low compared to normal. I ended up with the Kustom head gain at 3/4, and the head volume at almost max, bass volume at max. Could only just be heard in a 4-piece pub covers band. After 1 hour - sudden silence. I thought the head had broken but, back at home, same bass, same head, same cables through my other TecAmp XS 112 was all good. Listening to the broken speaker today, I can hear some output, but very low volume, and very thin sound. I'm wondering if the tweeter's OK, but the main driver isn't.

What to do? 

1. I've emailed TecAmp/Eich in Germany asking if they supply replacement drivers and, if not, to recommend an alternative. I can't imagine a replacement's going to be cheap....

2. Source a compatible alternative here in the UK and get it fitted. What would be suitable? Slight problem may then be that I have a couple two cabs with different drivers.

All advice, ideas and suggestions gratefully accepted.

100_1122.thumb.JPG.b6c108bda97032d02e27815b5bd079fc.JPG100_1123.thumb.JPG.8063f27fad134aa0def5e420c0e59764.JPG

Steve pmd me about this with a link to this post and I replied to him after I'd opened the link which opened in another window not realising that I was replying to the post instead of the pm, and I couldn't offer an answer hence this odd post, hopefully someone will be able to help

Edited by Aidan63
clarifying reason for non helpful answer

Hi I've responded to your pm but if anyone else is interested you asked me to comment on Blue Aran's recommended replacement an Eminence Gamma

That's shockingly bad advice from Blue Aran

specs for the Gamma are:

• fs 57 Hz
  • Re 6.52 ohms
  • Le 0.95mH
  • Qes 0.75
  • Qms 6.86
  • Qts 0.67
  • BL 10.9 T.M
  • Xmax 1.6mm

Xmax of 1.6 is just not good enough for bass and power handling will be poor, fs is too high for my taste (no deep bass), BL is lower than I would like because of an underpowered magnet and a speaker with a Qts=0.67 isn't really suitable for a small reflex cabinet you'll have an insane upper bass bloom and no deep bass again. I suspect you got the Saturday boy

Blue Aran do speakers that are a whole lot better. If you want something cheap then this would be better http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA612CVM28&browsemode=category Xmax is 7mm more than 4x better and the magnet system is more powerful so the frequency response will be better too, and it's cheaper. If you want an Eminence then the Beta 12A-2 is a much better speaker than the nasty little Gamma and it has a nice response in the mids which will give you a nice baked in sound. http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIBETA12A&browsemode=category For a bit more you can get the Beyma SM212 which is a tried and tested model with a much more neutral response which a load of basschatters have used. If you want to spend more still then the Faital PR 320 is a lovely speaker and lightweight too http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP12PR320&browsemode=category 

• Like 1

Could be a toasted voice coil.

I had problems with my TecAmp Puma 110 not long after I got it, and the original fitment driver turned out to be a mid-quality Sica unit. It was badged Tecamp but had a code number on it which looked like a letter Z followed by about 7 or 8 digits. That allowed me to identify a potential SIca replacement from the specs published on line.

Mine got sorted out by Tecamp in the end and has been fine ever since (touch wood!) . If it happened again I wouldn't attempt to see out a Sica replacement, I'd go with Phil's suggestion of Beyma or Faital.

• Like 1

Just a thought, if you love the sound of these then using a different driver will change the sound and mixing them won't necessarily sound like a blend of the two. You'll have three sounds one from each cab and one from the pair. If you like that idea then no problem :) If not then go to Tecamp and see if they can provide a replacement. I'd forgotten you had two cabs.

Another thought is that this cab looks to be a 50litre cab tuned roughly to 50Hz or maybe slightly lower. I'd need measured internal dimensions to tell you exactly. That's not far off the Basschat design Stevie did for a top quality FRFR cab, the equal of  a BF or Fearless/Greenboy cab IMO. It wouldn't have the same internal bracing of course. If you wanted to invest the money you could fit the same drivers and crossover into your cab, this wouldn't be a bad bet.

Edited by Phil Starr

22 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Hi I've responded to your pm but if anyone else is interested you asked me to comment on Blue Aran's recommended replacement an Eminence Gamma

That's shockingly bad advice from Blue Aran

specs for the Gamma are:

• fs 57 Hz
  • Re 6.52 ohms
  • Le 0.95mH
  • Qes 0.75
  • Qms 6.86
  • Qts 0.67
  • BL 10.9 T.M
  • Xmax 1.6mm

Xmax of 1.6 is just not good enough for bass and power handling will be poor, fs is too high for my taste (no deep bass), BL is lower than I would like because of an underpowered magnet and a speaker with a Qts=0.67 isn't really suitable for a small reflex cabinet you'll have an insane upper bass bloom and no deep bass again. I suspect you got the Saturday boy

Blue Aran do speakers that are a whole lot better. If you want something cheap then this would be better http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=BMA612CVM28&browsemode=category Xmax is 7mm more than 4x better and the magnet system is more powerful so the frequency response will be better too, and it's cheaper. If you want an Eminence then the Beta 12A-2 is a much better speaker than the nasty little Gamma and it has a nice response in the mids which will give you a nice baked in sound. http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIBETA12A&browsemode=category For a bit more you can get the Beyma SM212 which is a tried and tested model with a much more neutral response which a load of basschatters have used. If you want to spend more still then the Faital PR 320 is a lovely speaker and lightweight too http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=FTP12PR320&browsemode=category 

Thank you Phil. That's very helpful and clear advice. I've contacted Blue Aran and arranged for the Beyma 12CMV2 to be sent instead of the Gamma. 

Regards,

|Steve