Jump to content
missis sumner

Paint It, Black

Recommended Posts

I'm having trouble playing the verse in straight eighth notes.  I want to start and finish, every bar on B, which just doesn't seem to add up?

I don't know what I'm doing, do I? 😂

 

Edit:  Got first rehearsal with new-ish band on Thursday - panic setting in...

Edited by missis sumner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot start and finish every bar on B for that number, even in the intro, let alone the verse itself. Check on Youtube - several teaching vid's for the song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

You cannot start and finish every bar on B for that number, even in the intro, let alone the verse itself. Check on Youtube - several teaching vid's for the song.

I know!  But I still want to... 

When I play it slowly the B-E, then B-Fsharp, notes fit, but when I play it full speed, I'm doing some weird stinky poo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, missis sumner said:

I know!  But I still want to... 

When I play it slowly the B-E, then B-Fsharp, notes fit, but when I play it full speed, I'm doing some weird stinky poo.

If you don't mind it being wrong, go for it... That's actually not the easiest of bass lines (a little surprising, bearing in mind it was Bill W). Afraid there's no alternative to getting your head down and getting it right. Have a look at the vid' Douglas posted above. It sounds as if you're playing it half time if you can get what you're doing to (sort of) fit. That's not going to cut it at real tempo, I'm afraid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much more busy/complicated than I would have thought. Think I’m going to learn it, looks like an interesting bass line to try out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to play this for someone at a jam session, that'll be easy enough I thought. It's fast though I hadn't left enough time and was sweating, on the night he played it about 10bpm slower and I survived.

It will come but remember you are playing the chords Em to B. At a pinch you could get away with just straight 8's on E and B, it wouldn't be right  but playing the root note in time would let the rest of the band play their bits and they wouldn't notice in all probability, they will all need the E and B on the first note of the bar though. On the night I just played the root/fifths, I ignored the shift to G (10 on the A)  in the tab above.

Good Luck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is how I've been attempting to play the verse, with the B as the downbeat.  Is it wrong?  I notice a few You Tube videos start on the E, which doesn't sound right to me.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You really must listen to the original and start from that. Don't try to change it without knowing how it should be first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having listened to the original, I think the video that @missis sumner linked is what Bill Wyman is playing, with the verse starting on the B (5th) note of the scale, and the one that Douglas provided starts on the 'E' and is dodgy.

Personally, I prefer Vanessa Carlton's version, but then I'm weird.

Edited by pete.young
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This shows it starting on E at the 2nd fret of the D string. 

Disclaimer, I’ve never played it, don’t particularly like it, and I’m sat on a train so can’t check the accuracy 😁. Starting on E follows the chords, it moves to B in bar 3.

CACEE40E-EAC7-44DD-BD7A-6DA6EBCF137D.jpeg

Edited by ambient

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, missis sumner said:

This is how I've been attempting to play the verse, with the B as the downbeat.  Is it wrong?  I notice a few You Tube videos start on the E, which doesn't sound right to me.

 

I suspect this chap carefully stuffed socks into his ears prior to working out the bass part.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Darryl plays on the verse here is broadly what I'm hearing on the original. Not just R5R5R5R5R5 (or 5R5R5R5R5R..)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty sure when I played this years ago I just played the B and E for the verse and it worked well for us.

Trick is the timing. Go one beat out and itll mess with your head and sound like you're playing it backwards.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I suspect this chap carefully stuffed socks into his ears prior to working out the bass part.

Whereas I just put the record on upstairs, and then wander downstairs to listen to it. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, la bam said:

Trick is the timing. Go one beat out and itll mess with your head and sound like you're playing it backwards.

I think I am on drugs when I listen to this one...

...love it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, goingdownslow said:

I think I am on drugs when I listen to this one...

...love it though.

Exactly! Just one beat off, but your head feels backwards!

I used to play the lower b on the e string then bounce of the high E on the A string. If you ended up playing e then b, instead of b then e, it just freaks you out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rehearsal went well, so well that we're going to try again next week.

We didn't do Paint It, Black, because our new guitarist didn't know it. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/01/2020 at 00:34, la bam said:

Pretty sure when I played this years ago I just played the B and E for the verse and it worked well for us.

Trick is the timing. Go one beat out and itll mess with your head and sound like you're playing it backwards.

This is what I do, and I've always got away with it! 🤞 So far 😊

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...