Why become a member? ×

Six String Madness

therealting

5 out of the first 6 in the For Sale forum at the minute - are six strings more popular than ever, or are more people getting rid of them than ever?

😬

I started on a sixer (TRB Mk I, still have it), and am still as comfortable on one as anything else. Particularly like them for sight reading, playing chords, and solos.

0AFF1B4C-1FE5-41E3-9DCC-978EF389186A.png

I'd guess about half of these are people who want to sell their 6 and get a nicer one, and the other half are having a spring clearout having enjoyed their trial of a 6 (as everyone should do) but found that it's not for them.

I have previously monitored the retailers for their ratio of available 6s and it seems as low today as normal:

guitarguitar: 10 6ers, 95 5ers and 337 4s ... (2% 6ers)

bassdirect: 21 6ers, 101 5ers and 139 ...  (8% 6ers)

the gallery   12, 152,  315        (2.5% 6ers)

So varying from 2% to 8% of available basses at those three outlets. Thus we would expect only one in 12 ads on basschat to be 6ers ...

Or we could say that the more advanced the forum, the more 6ers there are ... 😁

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I'm actually currently in the market for 6 string, but they're all way too rich for my blood. 

Keep an eye out for a used Yamaha TRB or a Spector Legend if you’re not looking to spend to much... Great basses both for not a lot 🙂 ... Some of the higher end Ibanez stuff (good value used) as well if you don’t mind a tighter string spacing.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CamdenRob said:

Keep an eye out for a used Yamaha TRB or a Spector Legend if you’re not looking to spend to much... Great basses both for not a lot 🙂 ... Some of the higher end Ibanez stuff (good value used) as well if you don’t mind a tighter string spacing.

Cheers. I'm actually waiting for this to come back in stock. A lot of bass for little money. 

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_bz_6000_nt.htm

@therealting Overall from 3 shops and 1182 instruments for sale both new and secondhand (a statistically useful sample size) we get: (drumroll)

4 string basses          67%

5 string basses         29%

6 string basses          4%

.... So it goes without saying that 6 string players are cooler than 96% of the bassplaying population, just sayin' .... 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, edwn said:

@therealting Overall from 3 shops and 1182 instruments for sale both new and secondhand (a statistically useful sample size) we get: (drumroll)

4 string basses          67%

5 string basses         29%

6 string basses          4%

.... So it goes without saying that 6 string players are cooler than 96% of the bassplaying population, just sayin' .... 😎

7 string bass?

Nah, those guys have just gone too far! 😂

@CamdenRob is right about Fodera -- I just counted 43 out of 445 newborns as 6ers -- that's 9.7%

Dingwalls at Bass direct who have more than anyone, are 7 out of 35 i.e. a genuinely whopping 20%

Interested in Ken Smith numbers as they invented the 6 string of course ... any way to count those?

Edited by edwn
  • Like 1

Just now, therealting said:

@Newfoundfreedom There was a cheap BTB project put up a few days ago, not sure if still there?

Indeed, and very tempting it is too. As I commented on the thread. In fact I think I'd happily have a punt on it as the only problems seem to be minor electrical, which is an easy fix. Sadly no shipping offered so it's a no go. 

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The problem with 6 strings is, they're mostly at the boutique end of the market, and ridiculously expensive. There's very little second hand stuff at the budget end for people like me who  just want to dip their toe into the water and try out a 6er. 

Good toe-dippers do crop up, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. My sixer is a fairly tatty Ibanez BTB406 that I picked up pre-loved/abused on fleabay for £100. Neck is fine, plays well and sounds great, it's just the aesthetics that have taken a kicking and obviously put off other potential buyers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

The problem with 6 strings is, they're mostly at the boutique end of the market, and ridiculously expensive. There's very little second hand stuff at the budget end for people like me who  just want to dip their toe into the water and try out a 6er. 

Not entirely true.  The Hohner VI B Bass handles great, is neck through, can be good wood, it's well made and is reasonably small and light and rarely sells for more than £250.  I was about to put mine up wot cost me £195, but if there's a glut I'll wait.  

Edited by lownote12