Why become a member? ×

Sabre pick up cover- 3D printer?

walshy

Just now, GisserD said:

Gotta ammend the hole size and print again tonight then ill get them in th post tomorrow.

as i dont have the pickup to test fit, i imagine a small amount of "fettling" may be in order.

Yeah that’s cool I can do that.

11 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Will 3D printed items withstand a buffing wheel to get high glossed?

never tried. 

But as long as the part dosent get too hot it shouldnt matter.

3D printing by its very nature uses thermoplastics that melt "controlably" with heat. but it should be able to take a polish.

a common finnish on ABS is to give it an acetone vapour path that smoothes out the surface which is usefull, but you loose some dimensonal controll.

i have used TPLA for the pickup cover however.

image.png.83956617dbb763e4172dfa2a9a3229b1.png

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

I guess you could spray on a poly finish and buff that. Of course, the key thing is how precise the sizing has to be.

the "skirt" that goes down the side of the pickup, not to accurate at all. 

the key to a pickup cover is that it fits around the pole pieces tight enough to make it look tidy.

therefore any variation in hole size/spacing is going to be a problem.

re pole piece size..... if you can get some callipers and measure the polepieces diameter (i think its probably 10mm), then get a drill bit of the same size and warm the top of the shank up with a flame (about 10 seconds should do it) then carefully stick it through the holes from the top. pish the drill but through sufficiently and use trhe cold part of the drill bit to cool the plastic. 

if this is done right, it will result in a very clean looking accurate hole that should have a very close fit to th pole pieces.

ive put a couple of the 1st batch in the package for you to practice on if necessary

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GisserD said:

re pole piece size..... if you can get some callipers and measure the polepieces diameter (i think its probably 10mm), then get a drill bit of the same size and warm the top of the shank up with a flame (about 10 seconds should do it) then carefully stick it through the holes from the top. pish the drill but through sufficiently and use trhe cold part of the drill bit to cool the plastic. 

if this is done right, it will result in a very clean looking accurate hole that should have a very close fit to th pole pieces.

ive put a couple of the 1st batch in the package for you to practice on if necessary

Thanks dude I’ll let you know how I get on next week when I get home 

On 24/01/2020 at 08:46, GisserD said:

have you tried tracing and scanning?

ive used vinyl carrier paper tape or any lightweight paper will do, to do what is effectively a brass rubbing of a pattern - then scan the paper - drop the image into illustrator or autocad and it should be 'exact' size then zoom in and trace over accurately

Edited by steve-bbb

1 hour ago, steve-bbb said:

have you tried tracing and scanning?

ive used vinyl carrier paper tape or any lightweight paper will do, to do what is effectively a brass rubbing of a pattern - then scan the paper - drop the image into illustrator or autocad and it should be 'exact' size then zoom in and trace over accurately

Seems a bit overkill for 4 circles in a row, but for more complex shapes I can see that being a usefull method.

The inaccuracies in the pickup cover will mostly come from the manufacture. Not the design.

Ok just back and thought I’d see how much fettling these would need before I can fit. Answer absolutely none. Nothing! They fit so snug in the guard and the pole pieces it’s ridiculous! I’m sure MM would be proud if they’d pulled it off! 

Absolutely over the moon @GisserD and much thanks for your help. I’ll tell the other dudes about it and I’m sure they’ll be ordering soon.

This place man, it’s just amazing 👏👏

Couple of pics to show how neat they fit (obviously not set up yet!)

E762CDE2-D2C0-49B8-BCA2-FA1732D430F6.jpeg

CF0F8FD9-1DB9-45AF-A433-25B708CE008A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1