Why become a member? ×

NBD. Last 2020 bass purchase.

kodiakblair

Thought I'd get it over with sharpish 🙂 Trip from Falkirk to Hull yesterday was a success.

Pleasant memories of Westone basses. Plenty of ads in the music papers,Henry Thomas on Rock School,stocked in plenty of shops.

In great condition for 37 years old. There was another on ebay which was cheaper but a good pal lives outside of Hull,long overdue visit made it worth the extra.

That all changed. Young lad selling it dropped his price when I suggested cash vs Reverb fees 👍 When I got there he had another surprise 😮

Because I'd drove near 5 hours he decided another 10% off was in order 😎

Thuner III (2).jpg

Thuner III (4).jpg

Thuner III (5).jpg

• Like 19

I had a Westone Thunder Jet many years back. A mate bought it from me in the 1980's.... and he still has it, and it's still his go-to bass
Must admit, I always had a liking for them, and particularly in that finish on yours. Really like the combo of different woods.
Being a P/J pickup arrangement is a boon too IMO

Happy NBD - enjoy :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Decent honest Yorkshire / Humberside folk! 

Aye . It was really thoughtful of the lad. 

2 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Sweet bass but “last of 2020”? 🤣

Got through 2019 with only 1 bass bought 🙂 I'm the very model of restraint these days 😂

1 hour ago, Rexel Matador said:

Beautiful! What do all those switches do?

There's a series/parallel switch and a phase in/out,with the pickup selector that's 7 settings. Other mini switch is active/passive 👍

EQ is boost only. No idea why it's 18v 😃

16 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Enjoy, just make sure you have a padded strap to hand when you play it! :D 

Couple of my T40's weigh more as does my Cabronita slab body. It's a baw hair heavier than the pine slab body 🙂

Great balance to it on a strap, I find that generally rules out any weight concerns 👍

• Like 1

The first bassist I was ever aware of - a chap who played with my brother's friends' band in Cardiff in the mid 1980s - had a Thunder Jet and i thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.

I had a couple of Westones over the years - two Thunder 1As, and a later Spectrum ST. Always pined for another for old time's sake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Couple of my T40's weigh more as does my Cabronita slab body. It's a baw hair heavier than the pine slab body 🙂

Great balance to it on a strap, I find that generally rules out any weight concerns 👍

My old Thunder 1A weighed a ton, but by god, it sounded ace.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, chaypup said:

The first version of the Thunder II was P/P the second was PJ, the first version of the III was PJ and the second had soapbars

The Thunder II also appeared as a 32" scale J/J. Think when that got released the P/J Thunder II was renamed Thunder III.

Quick check on the Westone forum. 1983 the P/J Thunder II became the Thunder III

Edited by kodiakblair
more info.
  • Like 2