Why become a member? ×

*Sold* Ken Smith BT4 1984
£3200
York

ped

Hi folks

Again I find myself with too much ‘stuff’ and pressing family commitments so I’m looking to sell this beautiful bass. 

If you want the ‘ultimate’ Smith bass, this is it. One of the original 200 hand made in NYC by Ken and Vinnie (Fodera). Completely standard and the neck is dead straight, the action is super low. It barks, growls and plinks with the best of ‘em. 

- Haz pre-amp (two band, blend and vol)

- Phase switch and active/passive switch

- Smith bridge (early version)

- Gold hardware including original headstock roundel 

- Walnut top, maple body

- Ebony fingerboard

- Comes with Smith Wax

- Elixir super light strings (new) 0.040- 0.095

- Dunlop locks included

- Weight about 4.3kg/9.5lbs

More details here

Must be collected from York (can meet a reasonable distance). Comes with teardrop style hard foam case. 

Ask away if you have any questions. I’m around most weekends and evenings if you’d like to try the bass yourself in my home studio setup which will let you hear the bass perfectly. 

A few pictures, ask if you’d like anything else! 
Cheers

ped

EPSN2773.jpg
EPSN2772.jpg
EPSN2771.jpg
EPSN2770.jpg
EPSN2768.jpg
EPSN2765.jpg
EPSN2764.jpg
EPSN2761.jpg
EPSN2763.jpg

• Like 18

4 hours ago, dyerseve said:

What kind of neck joint is that. Doesn't look like any kind of set neck I've ever seen before.

Beautiful bass and GLWTS

It’s often referred to as a ‘dovetail’ and is used to distinguish the early basses. However I have been told by Ken himself that it is in fact a ‘hidden mortise’ joint. Very stable and exceptionally neat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a few messages and questions but nothing firm so at the moment this is still available. I'm not in a rush (I think this bass will only grow in value..)

Quick one to mention that the bass can come in a Fusion gig bag instead of the teardrop shape zip-case style bag made by Atelier-Z. Up to you :)

Delivery possible - definitely don't want to post, sorry!

A few people have asked if it’s the same bass that The Bass Gallery had up for sale - yes it is! The reason I’ve put the price a little higher is because it comes with a brand new case, brand new Elixir strings an the Smith accessories (wax, polish, fingerboard conditioner). 

I’m not in a rush to sell and would definitely not ship (sorry, please stop asking!) but will entertain offers if you promise to look after it!

Whoever gets this bass will be not be disappointed. I bought a 1991 Smith from Chris in summer last year and he is an absolute gent and a pleasure to deal with. 

The bass is a stunner and if I hadn't just bought a Spector I'd have already taken this off his hands.

• Thanks 1

It’s the whole £1 listing deal that ends automatically in 30 days but they don’t tell you that or when the 30 days are up going you’ll forget and let it auto renew so eBay get their pound of flesh. I spent ages making the advert and checking everything because of course it all completely different week to week but still they snuck that through. I’ve noted in the listing when I’ll manually edit it but only wanted a 7 day listing and that’s what I chose when making the advert.. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, 1966powers said:

I'm sure he is one of the best Smith. It has a finish, a weight and a perfect age.

It's unique for several reasons - the early ones varied quite a lot as you know, with different pickup spacings, pickup types and construction. This is one of the earliest with the now traditional double near the bridge configuration and is unusual in that the bass has a dark bookmatched top. The BT shape remains to my mind the classic Smith design.

As said above, I firmly believe such a great example of such a pivotal bass will grow in value over time, especially as Ken is changing his business setup and, although things have always been outsourced to some extent, I don't know what'll happen when Ken retires.

So I'm in no rush to sell, and quite happy to keep it but if another player wants a unique piece of history and a thoroughly modern and fantastically constructed and sounding bass for less than a new one - let me know :)

• Like 2

😂 I'm starting to think I don't want to sell it now!!

Not sure of the measurements actually, but I think the spacing is 19mm at the bridge and 40mm at the nut, specs which Ken has stuck with up until now. 34" scale.

• ped locked this topic