Why become a member? ×

String re-use question

fretmeister

An odd question..

If you use a set of strings for a couple of months, take them off the bass to work on the bass, then put them back on, would you expect them to suffer a bit more in the re-stringing process and sound older more quickly?

I notice that sometimes when I do that the little dents in the strings from being fretted can end up on top, so each string gets more dents.

I recently did this and (although I might be imagining it), the strings seem to be far deader than they were just before taking them off and putting them on again.

Or is it just my ears?

Have you twisted them putting on maybe, quite easy to do if the tuner end is already all coiled up. Sometimes a twist in the string will made it sound dead. The flat fret spots being on top would point to this being the case. 

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible to machine wash strings, or wash or boil them. Fairy, alcohol... ultrasonic, anyone? Longer shelf time gives a slightly longer use, but they still become dull pretty fast. Because the frets eat some of the string surface, the result is not very good.

My choice has been a new set. I buy 5 to 10 sets at the time. Then I am able to discuss about the price in a local shop. Far better results than trying to wash them.

On 02/02/2020 at 15:11, itu said:

It is possible to machine wash strings, or wash or boil them. Fairy, alcohol... ultrasonic, anyone? Longer shelf time gives a slightly longer use, but they still become dull pretty fast. Because the frets eat some of the string surface, the result is not very good.

My choice has been a new set. I buy 5 to 10 sets at the time. Then I am able to discuss about the price in a local shop. Far better results than trying to wash them.

I have reasonable success and get a fair amount of brightness back in by soaking them in a big bottle of meths for 24 hours.

Obviously not as good as new but I've rarely had any problems.

Edited by Marky L

Boiling is a bad idea,  depending on the string you'll increase the chances of rusting and decrease the life.  as @Marky L says, soaking in meths is one of the best options, or other alcohol with no water in it.  Andrew Pouska at StudyBass recommends making a cleaning tube so the strings can hang rather than coil (http://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-strings/bass-string-cleaning-tube/) , 

As a more frequent clean rather than removing and soaking the strings I've found these to be really effective, anhydrous IPA wipes : https://uk.farnell.com/techspray/1610-50pk/wipe-isopropyl-alcohol-ipa-pack/dp/2501334  (IPA =  Isopropyl alcohol, not India Pale Ale 🙂 ).  Wiping the strings as soon as they get greasy keeps them cleaner for longer, some guys do so after every rehearsal & gig, but I don't find that necessary.   I put a sheet of plastic between the strings & fretboard just in case.

Agree with @Maude about twisting them when you've put them back on.

Whenever I work on mine, for whatever reason, I restring it with the one's I've removed for the work, but I always leave them in the bridge, and just curl them out of the way while I'm working. Never had any issues when retightening them (there's always a first time of course! :D ).