Why become a member? ×

Warwick Gnome

fretmeister

Looks neat but unless it sounds radically different from every other super micro head (unlikely) or is priced extremely keenly then I don't see what it offers that you can't get elsewhere. Doesn't seem to have a USP as a bass amp unless you really want a stripped back feature set I guess.

Still it looks cool.

Hopefully it has speakon out and is a similar size to the Elf/BAM.

Edited by lemmywinks

Warwick amps have always been very underrated.

Their old WAMP stuff back in the day was rock solid, if a little more of the same, but they did the brightly coloured thing long before Mark Bass ;)
Their more recent offerings have really good preamp design, super clean and uncoloured, concocted in conjunction with, if not entirely by Mr Jonas Hellborg, and that input has filtered into all of their bass amps, including their tiny practice amps. It's all VERY well built too. Sadly, the stuff still comes across as a little boring if ultimately you're looking for your amp to add some colour to your sound. If you love how your bass sounds though, or get your core tone from pedals, they're definitely worth a look.

It's nice to see them doing something "new", but it's nothing new for the market sadly. I expect it'll be just another very small amp, handy, but uninspiring...

I hope they come up with something a bit more interesting soon.

Eude

I don’t like bright colours, so I’d take this over the Elf or the TC equivalent.  300w one appeals to me.  I’d assume the USB would be an audio interface for getting bass sounds in to your computer, but would be cool if audio could go the other way too.  If it did I suspect it would only come out the headphone output for practicing.

I bought an LWA500 a few years back at the LBGS - definitely never regretted that. Fits in an amazon basics tablet case (neoprene) beautifully! It's a backup amp which has been pressed into service mid-gig, and I've used it countless times on small gigs and jam nights with a 2x10 Markbass Traveller. Really loud for 16Kg of total weight, and the perfect height to sit on. The old-school lighting under the controls on the LWA is welcome too... I'd get the 1000, but I still have a Pro Bass IX which I do use occasionally (despite the massive weight!).

On 15/01/2020 at 20:18, Pea Turgh said:

I don’t like bright colours, so I’d take this over the Elf or the TC equivalent.  300w one appeals to me.  I’d assume the USB would be an audio interface for getting bass sounds in to your computer, but would be cool if audio could go the other way too.  If it did I suspect it would only come out the headphone output for practicing.

The 300W one will be 150ish into 8ohms and a little underpowered for me.

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

The LWA 500 is just £255 at Thomann and the LWA1000 is only £341!

Exactly. It’s a HUGE bargain. The 500 has plenty of grunt for a pub gig, and I’m running it into an 8 ohm 2x10 markbass traveller. Into 4 ohms it’ll be huge!

Also - the LWA gets you an onboard compressor. It’ll run without load as a headphone amp, too, and IIRC there’s an aux input...

Edited by basexperience

• 6 months later...