Why become a member? ×

Musical terrorism?

Quatschmacher

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I just wish both of them would either offer some more interesting body shapes or license the technology to luthiers who do.

I think that for every musician who welcomes the comfort of the familiar Strat/Tele/Jazz designs there are an equal number who want something more "out there" to go with the advanced capabilities these instruments bring.

I know for a fact that I couldn't consider something like this with a Jazz Bass shape because I just don't find them comfortable to play.

As I said in the other thread, Frettrax will retrofit to your bass of choice and their stock MIDI basses are a completely different design. 

9 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

As I said in the other thread, Frettrax will retrofit to your bass of choice and their stock MIDI basses are a completely different design. 

But still no MIDI on open strings which is an important part of my playing style, and your bass needs to have a Fender-style (or similar) bridge which none of the basses I play do.

18 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

But still no MIDI on open strings which is an important part of my playing style, and your bass needs to have a Fender-style (or similar) bridge which none of the basses I play do.

Not sure about the bridge choices, they need graphtech saddles. Might be possible to fit these to an existing bridge.

The open strings thing is only an issue if you want to layer the bass sound with the midi sound and play at the bottom. Otherwise for just midi you can pitch everything down an octave and play an octave higher. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

6 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, I was also in contact with Rob about his version and was considering that too. What swayed me were a few things:

IR is much longer established and further down the road with development. Steve Chick invented this technology.

IR now have P and PJ models and a PJ is the best fit for the normal bass sounds I use.

I’ve also had chance to play an IR bass so know the quality is good. There isn’t any way to try an ROR bass before buying.

I quite like the fact it’ll look like a normal bass. 

I really didn’t like the headstock of the ROR one. However it definitely had some things going for it such as the ability to plug and play and the joystick and pitch shift buttons on the body.

If I’m feeling super-flush, I might buy an ROR one too.

Thanks for your reply.  I ordered one from Rob about 3 months ago. Like you, I am not that keen on the headstock, but Rob said I could have a slightly different design if I want it. I think it will grow on me, so I might take it as it is.

1 hour ago, milford59 said:

Thanks for your reply.  I ordered one from Rob about 3 months ago. Like you, I am not that keen on the headstock, but Rob said I could have a slightly different design if I want it. I think it will grow on me, so I might take it as it is.

Oh cool, what options did he offer?

When is yours due to be completed? Maybe we could meet up to make a comparison sometime.

14 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Not sure about the bridge choices, they need graphtech saddles. Might be possible to fit these to an existing bridge.

The open strings thing is only an issue if you want to layer the bass sound with the midi sound and play at the bottom. Otherwise for just midi you can pitch everything down an octave and play an octave higher. 

The bridge conversion is a bit more involved than that, and Frettrax have already looked at my basses of choice and said that they can't be adapted to use their system.

And the open strings are very important to my sound. A lot of the songs I play use open string drones alternating with the melody line played on one or more of the higher strings. Unless you have most phenomenal technique and a huge fretting hand stretch (I don't have either) I can't see any way they could be played without the use of open strings.

13 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Oh cool, what options did he offer?

When is yours due to be completed? Maybe we could meet up to make a comparison sometime.

I ordered it last October - I hope to hear from him in a few months , at which point I will decide on the exact spec., although I think I will just go for the plain black as shown on the website.

i will certainly post on here, as things develop, with a view to meeting and comparing !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Quatschmacher said:

Payment only just cleared today - 5 weeks after being sent. That was a huge ordeal with over an hour on phone to my bank over multiple occasions. And it was inexplicably 10 dollars short (before recipient fees). I’ll be writing a complaint to HSBC about this shitshow. 

I beat the profanity filter! 

• Haha 2