Why become a member? ×

Replacement Jazz pickups and EQ

Brian18242

Looking to update my squire Jazz with new pickups (passive or active) including EQ. Can anyone recommend anything sold as a set? Budget is roughly £100(ish) I'm not that knowledgeable to buy Pickups and EQ separate so looking for an easy option where someone has paired them up for selling. Hope this makes sense. 

On 13/01/2020 at 14:35, Brian18242 said:

Looking to update my squire Jazz with new pickups (passive or active) including EQ. Can anyone recommend anything sold as a set? Budget is roughly £100(ish) I'm not that knowledgeable to buy Pickups and EQ separate so looking for an easy option where someone has paired them up for selling. Hope this makes sense. 

You will really struggle with that budget to get a pickup/pre amp set, in fact I don't think there are any other than some cheapish Chinese ones on eBay. The go to pre-amp for ease of fitting for a jazz would be one of John East's or an Audere, both of which are around the £200 mark but are a doddle to fit as you get the bell plate. 

EMG do an active pickup set that is "plug and play", and they do some EQ modules you can add but again more than your budget. @ClassicVibes came up with the best solution by buying second hand but likely to be 2 separate items.

Entwistle JBXN are £42 for the pair. Instead of over-winding to increase output the super strong magnets do the work 👍

Expect some fettling to get them to fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Entwistle-JBXN-pickup-for-bass-guitar-neodymium-designed-by-Alan-Entwistle/333355487464?hash=item4d9d8910e8:m:ml6RunQ5q4ldDFg1P_ohc0Q

Grab an EQ pedal with the change 🙂

Just now, kodiakblair said:

Entwistle JBXN are £42 for the pair. Instead of over-winding to increase output the super strong magnets do the work 👍

Expect some fettling to get them to fit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Entwistle-JBXN-pickup-for-bass-guitar-neodymium-designed-by-Alan-Entwistle/333355487464?hash=item4d9d8910e8:m:ml6RunQ5q4ldDFg1P_ohc0Q

Grab an EQ pedal with the change 🙂

Great idea. Entwistle pickups are awesome for the money and there's nowt wrong with a Behringer BD121 for less than £20 at the moment.

• Like 1

This may be an easier option for you and the post shows £130, on Basschat.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/396012-fender-jazz-pick-up-model-75-marcus-miller-preamp-knobs/?tab=comments#comment-3972352

Edited by mybass

25 minutes ago, mybass said:

This may be an easier option for you and the post shows £130, on Basschat.

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/396012-fender-jazz-pick-up-model-75-marcus-miller-preamp-knobs/?tab=comments#comment-3972352

Thats a good deal but would require major surgery to fit it as it's a fairly large pre-amp block, has 4 controls, (so side mounted jack needed), and then room for the switches.

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

Thats a good deal but would require major surgery to fit it as it's a fairly large pre-amp block, has 4 controls, (so side mounted jack needed), and then room for the switches.

Yes, that could well be another cost to get a luthier to route the body out more.

Go used definitely. I got a set of Nordstrands on here for £70 last year and some Wizard '84s just sold for £80 so you can definitely get within budget if you wait for a good deal. Artec SE preamps are extremely good for not much money and are prewired with push fit connectors so there's minimal soldering, I have one in my backup bass and I can't fault it.

If your Squire is passive then you probably won't fit everything under the bell plate so that's worth considering as it would limit your options to something designed to fit (and way over budget) like the East J series. Some Jazz basses have the neck pickup and control cavity routed as one big hole so there's would be space for a 9v battery if that's the case, have a look under the pickguard! Oh and obviously keep all the old bits in case you decide to sell the bass, modded instruments tend to be worth less than the sum of their parts.

Depending on what "standard" J-bass pre-amp you get, you might need to route the control cavity anyway. IME, Squier Jazz basses tend to have slightly thinner bodies than the Fender equivalents. It might only be a few millimetres difference but is enough for something like the East J-Retro pre-amp not to fit without very carefully deepening the control cavity (and hoping the router doesn't come out of the back of the bass!)

PM sent