Why become a member? ×

Low- to Mid-Range Multiscale Basses

bnt

I thought I ought to start a thread to see if we can summarise the available options, with their good and bad points. I don't have one, am in the market for a 5- or 6-string this year. I have a wish-list of what I would like to see, which I know I could get from a custom builder, but I don't have that kind of money to drop. Neck-through construction, through-body stringing, small (or no) headstock, at least 35.5" on the low B and less than 34" on the high G. I'm less fussy about electronics because I know I could upgrade that myself if needed.

Thomann did one a few years ago, the 5B DLX in this video, but stopped for some reason. It was a single-cut 5-bolt with extended cutaway and 2x humbuckers. Scale length was 33-35". On sevenstring.org, someone asked Thomann if it's coming back, and got the reply "never", but with the recent movements in the market I think they might be tempted to try again. If they made a multiscale version of their BZ-5000 or BZ-6000, that would be very attractive in the low end.

Gear4Music have sold their INF5 Fan Fret for about a year now, but apart from their own short video, I can't find any useful reviews online. I didn't really like the geometry or the sound from that short video. So it's interesting to see that they have just added two new "Coliseum" models in 5-string and 6-string, £280 and £300 respectively. Low B is 36.25" on both, they say, with a 34" High C on the 6. 7-bolt single cutaway construction. They seem to be doing the Dingwall NG two-pickups-close-together thing, which I don't really get, especially here where the pickups appear to be identical. Apart from that the design looks pretty original, not a clone. I'll think about it with a view to upgrading the electronics to a P/J soapbar set from someone like EMG.

In the mid-range, Ibanez has the existing SRMS 805 and 806 models, which I have been considering, but the new EHB MS models look more interesting since they're lighter and headless. There's a recent thread on those. I have looked at the Cort A5 Plus SCMS, which is kinda funny-looking but gets good reviews. Neck-through, 34-35.5" scale, Bartolini pups and EQ.

After the new Ibanez, the most interesting is the Schecter Stiletto Studio-5 FF, which ticks nearly all the boxes for me. 34-36" scale, neck-through, EMG pups and electronics. The "neutral" or perpendicular fret is 11 or 12, which makes for quite a steep fan angle at the low end and less steep on the upper frets. 

Are there any more low- to mid-range multiscales I've missed? I might also look into a direct order, such as the impossible@bass from Taiwan via reverb.com, despite that awful name. 🤨

Edited by bnt

Ormsby guitars have done runs of fanned fret basses. Don't know if they have plans to do more.

Maruszczyk offer multiscale as an option. 

Ltd do the B1005MS. 

Keep an eye on GOC Guitars. In August/September they shared pics of some headed and headless multi-scale basses that they're considering developing:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3BL_YYHK7t/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1nhkQ6nH_L/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5dnUVigSao/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Edited by Bigwan
  • Like 1

Thanks. I did look at Maruszczyk (e.g. Paddock 5a looks nice), but the price is well out of mid-range. Ormsby looks interesting, but once you factor in the cost of a case and shipping from Australia, a bit pricey if they make them again. I looked at the ESP LTDs: interesting, but (it seems to me) very expensive for what you get, compared to Ibanez or Schecter. I should have mentioned Mayones and Kiesel too, but that's getting in to expensive custom territory.

I see Warwick has just announced a new multiscale RockBass Corvette, around the £1000 mark. Bolt-on, 34-35.5" scale.

Edited by bnt

Agreed on all counts! I think used Ibanez or Dingwall basses are the best bet below a grand. 

I'm interested to try one of the new headless Ibanez basses, but if I could get a used Dingwall cheaper I know where my money would go having owned 2 Dingwalls before. 

I’m interested in this topic as well - I’m a seasoned Dingwall owner, but they don’t do any medium-scale 6 strings. My Super P5 (32-35”) is my #1 and as close to the perfect bass as I’ve tried, would love to find a 6-string companion to it particularly if the price is right. 

8 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

I'd love to give a Super P a try having owned an ABZ 4 and Afterburner 5 and being a big precision fan... Maybe some day! 

I had a Combustion first and liked it, then traded it for a Super J on this forum. Loved that bass. When I got the opportunity to get its twin Super P, I jumped on it and got probably the best bass I’ve ever played. 

• 4 weeks later...