Why become a member? ×

Practicing Classical Pieces

RCMJ

Anyone else like to work on classical pieces from time to time?

I've never had any classical training but I've found it's really helped getting my reading together to do things like this.

...with apologies in advance  to any classically trained musicians who might be offended!

Edited by RCMJ
  • Like 2

Yeah I do dabble occasionally but I'm a pretty inept noob at the moment. Missus has finally got hold of the sheet music for the one Strauss waltz she didn't already have, came with a load of others so I do my best to play along by ear if I'm struggling she'll call out the notes to begin with until I'm up to speed as she plays it all on the portable keys.

I love it, think she just grits her teeth or goes and hides away in the music (spare bed) room with her electric Grand, her cans on and the door shut 😊

Fortunately we both like Zimmer and Morriconi as well, I'm more into Grieg, though I recently heard Lumbye for the first time at a recent concert. I wish I could read music but I just have to work everything out by ear, even with Tabs I tend to get lost as I'm dyslexic. Got perfect pitch though.

• 4 weeks later...

Only Bach's toccata which I nicked from Sky's version anyway. Found it great for training the  pinkie on the fretting hand and using using three plucking fingers. I can see the value of playing classical pieces to improve technique but  beyond that I've no time for the bass as a solo instrument on which to play etudes etc

I have the Bach for bass by Josquin Des Pres. I need to spend more time on it but great ear- hand training

My question to those above is that Cello and violins are strung in 5th's i believe and as the bass is in fourths wonder how much more difficult the intervals are to play on bass than the cello or Viola etc for which these were written. Some of the pieces are near impossible as they do not fall under the fingers , which is why i guess the practice on them does you good

any cello / violin players out there that can comment

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 1

Nice thread topic! One of my projects for 2020 is to work on some classical electric bass. To that end I managed to get hold of an Ibanez GVB36 with 14mm string spacing, which I've strung E to E but with top C detuned to B, in other words classical guitar tuning but an octave lower. 

(Hmmm, you've now got me thinking that a 6 string Wingbass may be another option to explore down the line!)

Am now revisiting some of the easier classical guitar pieces that I once had mastery of as a youth! 

On 12/01/2020 at 18:13, baldwinbass said:

👍I've used the Bach Cello Suites for Electric Bass (also available on Amazon), and found it very satisfying to master the pieces. It's interesting to see how he constructed his suites, and they are often used in contemporary films/theatre.  

This is an awesome book! Bought it after reading this thread. Have had a quick unplugged noodle and the sounds and feel are way off playing what I usually would. Love some of the chord positions too. 

On 10/02/2020 at 14:44, Barking Spiders said:

Only Bach's toccata which I nicked from Sky's version anyway. Found it great for training the  pinkie on the fretting hand and using using three plucking fingers. I can see the value of playing classical pieces to improve technique but  beyond that I've no time for the bass as a solo instrument on which to play etudes etc

Toccata is a piece that keeps coming into my head so had a go the other day, got as far as I could remember, which wasn't far. Need to find something on youtube to listen to