Why become a member? ×

Tonerider as pickup alternative for Vintage 940FL?

lownote

I have a Vintage 940fl.  It has Wilkinson pups in a PJ setup. The electronics are standard active. Now, while I really like the P pup on its own and with the J (bridge) pup, the bridge pup on its own sounds tinny, thin and harsh on its own.  I have good past experience of Tonerider P pups, but none of their jazz pickups.  Anyone got comment on whether a Tonerider set up (J+P) would sound better than Wilkinson? The alternative seems to be to go to Nordstrand and I can't see how how paying 4 or 5 times as much can be justified.

Edited by lownote12

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have now answered my own question.  Toneriders do not sound good on a Vintage 940FL. Having paid to have the conversion done I have tried every conceivable combination of amp and bass EQ setting and nothing sounds as good at the Wilkinson pups combined - even if the latter were thin on the bridge pup. Now I'm going to have to spend more of my pension reversing the swap. Why can't I leave well alone?  In the interests of fairness I have to say Toneriders sounded great on my old Squier P clone.  But..

So boys and girls, listen to Uncle John and don't fiddle.  If God wanted your Vintage fretless to have Toneriders installed he'd have done it himself. 

Edited by lownote12

It appears the difference is between Alnico pups and Ceramic pups.  Alnico sound thick and vintage (that's me) apparently.  Which is why they're awesome on old school P basses but not necessarily on all basses, esp those with more modern brighter and active circuits.  Got that John?  Yup, thanks. Still learning something new every day?  Yup.  Expensively?  Yup. 

• Haha 1

I think we've all spent time and money trying to get 'the edge' only to find out that we already had it ;)

That said, I am surprised.  For 6-string electrics I rate Tonerider very highly - and more because they do sound very warm.  I don't have any experience with their bass pickups.  I am surprised they are ceramic magnets...

• Thanks 1

Don't know for sure for sure about the ceramics, just follows a chat with Mr Tone Rider... who's name is Andrew, not Tony.  Anyway my latest chapter of foolish fiddling is now closed.  On to the next idiocy.  

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 1

I've tried the 'upgrades' route, different tuner's, pickups, bridge, electrics. I've tried most brands, and never being totally happy with the so called 'upgrades', I'm finally ok with keeping things stock.

I've found certain upgrades and strings work better on some basses than others. No idea why, but now I know what strings I like, and as long as I like how a bass feels and plays, I'm fine with keeping it stock.