Why become a member? ×

The Mule by Bassworks

Sammybass

19 hours ago, Sammybass said:

I know - that was the idea! Yes Bruce's attention to detail is monumental. I think he does that to add a little extra mass to the headstock and still get the tuners to fit through.

That's right Sam, mass important in terms of physics at both ends of a vibrating string. I do therefore put more mass here than the mass manufacturers do (see what I did there). However on my other models I also lightly chamber the headstock to take some mass out North of the tuner where it does not contribute to the physics of the vibrating string.

• Like 3

Thanks Sam and all those great bits of feedback from the group.

Yes my headstocks have extra mass where it counts and less mass where it does not. So for example on my extended range instruments there is light chambering behind the logo North of the last tuner. Mass is unimportant there in terms of string vibration physics and also helps avoid neck dive.

Regarding the heel pocket, there is no overspray into it and if there was it is cabinet scraped away. Sam's bass features my proprietary neck pocket which is as far as I know unique and I own the IP for it. I don't show this detail even though I own the IP as there are sadly too many unscrupulous copy cats out there. But suffice to say it confers exceptional sonic transfer throughout the instrument ensuring that the materials of construction contribute their disctinctive properties to the overall sonics of the instrument.

The frets are something I have done manually in the past. This time round I have developed more IP in terms of processes/tooling to semi-automate fret preparation, helping keep costs down. #custombuildnotcustompricing

Thanks again folks, have a great weekend and shoot me some questions if you like and if anyone wants a quote for their dream guitar or bass, I'm here to serve. No obligation for initial 30 min consultation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bassworks said:

Thanks Sam and all those great bits of feedback from the group.

Yes my headstocks have extra mass where it counts and less mass where it does not. So for example on my extended range instruments there is light chambering behind the logo North of the last tuner. Mass is unimportant there in terms of string vibration physics and also helps avoid neck dive.

Regarding the heel pocket, there is no overspray into it and if there was it is cabinet scraped away. Sam's bass features my proprietary neck pocket which is as far as I know unique and I own the IP for it. I don't show this detail even though I own the IP as there are sadly too many unscrupulous copy cats out there. But suffice to say it confers exceptional sonic transfer throughout the instrument ensuring that the materials of construction contribute their disctinctive properties to the overall sonics of the instrument.

The frets are something I have done manually in the past. This time round I have developed more IP in terms of processes/tooling to semi-automate fret preparation, helping keep costs down. #custombuildnotcustompricing

Thanks again folks, have a great weekend and shoot me some questions if you like and if anyone wants a quote for their dream guitar or bass, I'm here to serve. No obligation for initial 30 min consultation.

What he said ⬆️

15 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I am sorry.

I didn't intend to give the impression that I was knocking your nuts.  I am well in favour of precise nuts.  Everyone should have 'em, even the lasses.

I live in Chesterfield - you should see the lasses 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Absolutely blindingly good attention to detail. It's obvious a huge amount of thought went into the build, gotta love the control cavity detail, (battery slots with cutouts to allow easy removal, nice...) the frets are things of beauty, the extra depth in the headstock and the tuner recesses, front AND back. All round build excellence.